Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

sigma 35mm 1.4 focus issues

really itching for a 35mm that is wider than 2.8 (my 24-70 does cover it, but slow at 2.8).
i know there are reviews for this lens. i'm just wondering how this lens works with autofocus. and how big is the issue with this lens?
several reviews say that the lens misses focus. it either back focuses or front focuses, and wont let you micro-adjust.
if you dont have a USB dock, and calibrating the lens doesn't work, what are the solutions around it?

yes, i know pentax makes the FA35 f2. lens which would kind of be in the same vain, just smaller and slower at f2. and the 31mm, which is also the same money, just slower.

07-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
really itching for a 35mm that is wider than 2.8 (my 24-70 does cover it, but slow at 2.8).
i know there are reviews for this lens. i'm just wondering how this lens works with autofocus. and how big is the issue with this lens?
several reviews say that the lens misses focus. it either back focuses or front focuses, and wont let you micro-adjust.
if you dont have a USB dock, and calibrating the lens doesn't work, what are the solutions around it?

yes, i know pentax makes the FA35 f2. lens which would kind of be in the same vain, just smaller and slower at f2. and the 31mm, which is also the same money, just slower.
The solution is buy it from somewhere with a good return/exchange policy. It’s flip a coin stuff where you just have to find a copy that works with your camera. Check out the photos from it and the 31ltd before deciding though, then go for the one with the rendering you prefer.
07-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The solution is buy it from somewhere with a good return/exchange policy. It’s flip a coin stuff where you just have to find a copy that works with your camera. Check out the photos from it and the 31ltd before deciding though, then go for the one with the rendering you prefer.
yeah, i was debating on buying it used. sigma stuff doesn't come too often here. and sigma pentax is that much more rare. so either i buy it via amazon, new, which will cost a lot. or i buy used and try my chances with it.
if its the 31mm, i could buy that used, as i know what to expect with it.
07-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums

If you get a good copy, it will work great.

Also, I'd get a dock as it will work with future Sigma lenses, and even a good copy may require adjustments.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also, I'd get a dock as it will work with future Sigma lenses, and even a good copy may require adjustments.
For once, I must say "DON'T LISTEN TO ADAM"! I bought the dock when I purchased the 35mm Art f/1.4, thinking it would come in useful for firmware updates and all the future lenses I would buy from Sigma.

However,
  1. There never was a firmare update for the K-mount version; it still runs 1.0.
  2. There were no future Sigma K-mount lenses, and there never will be.
  3. The lens didn't need any focus adjustment.
So the dock was the most useless piece of photo equipment I ever bought.
07-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
There were no future Sigma K-mount lenses, and there never will be.
I don't think that's true. Just not the expensive ones.

But who knows, maybe they are ditching us altogether.

Also, during sales you'll often see the dock thrown in.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have often read that Sigma customer service is exceptionally good, just in case there is a problem which they can correct.

07-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think that's true. Just not the expensive ones.

But who knows, maybe they are ditching us altogether.

Also, during sales you'll often see the dock thrown in.
well, things can change.
if pentax does show a larger market share, sigma would want to start doing business again with pentax mounts.
its only in their best interest to make products that sell
07-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

well, things can change.
if pentax does show a larger market share, sigma would want to start doing business again with pentax mounts.
its only in their best interest to make products that sell
And that's why the lenses available in the K mount are also those they sell in the highest quantities, such as the 18-300mm superzoom, 17-70mm, and 30mm prime.

Adam

07-10-2018, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked up the 35/1.4 on sale at B&H with a dock added in for free. If you can wait, it does come up a few times a year. Mine focuses fine, and it really is sharp wide open. I also find the bokeh very nice. I'd buy it again/won't be selling it.
07-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #11

I also bought it with a dock. I tried two copies exactly the same both needed plus 7 on my camera. Tried the dock had better luck with in camera adjustments. They both focus perfect in live view and acceptable with view finder. I don’t think image quality is matched by other K mount lenses.
07-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have Sigma 35mm ART and also purchased an USB dock for calibration. The lens itself is very sharp wide open provided if you have a good copy without any focusing issues. Unfortunately I had worse experience and I had to send it to CR Kennedy three times to get the lens and my Pentax K1 calibrated for focus issues. I received the kit back from service today (lens and camera calibrated) and still taking few shots to see if all the issues are resolved. so far it seems good.

Having said that, if you still want to go with that lens, get the new one with warranty. USB dock will not help if it had serious focusing issues like mine. But if you ask me, I would go for alternate options since the time I had spent calibrating it with USB dock, is not worth the effort. It is sharp but I would spend time in taking pictures rather than fixing the focus issues on the lens.
07-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i think currently you get the lens + dock combo as special
07-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #14

I Bought one before , return to B&H immediately even I have a dock

I Bought one before , return to B&H immediately even I have a dock

it simply have focus issue , unless you just use live view
07-14-2018, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
in low light it can miss focus sometimes(couple of misses only out of 10 shots),but it is a superb lens. silent and fast focus, lovely bokeh... here u can check out my photos Sigma 35mm f/1. 4 Art | Flickr