Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Grey market Tamrons, are they ultimately worth it?

I'm looking at one on ebay but given its short owner history and irreparability am hesitant to take the plunge. Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

07-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
I'm looking at one on ebay but given its short owner history and irreparability am hesitant to take the plunge. Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks.
As i'm rather new to DSLR lens don't account on me to be 100% precise, even 50%, i just had one Tamron 18-200 lens and turned out very bad, as bad as the shop changed it on warranty for an SMC almost-equivalent at no cost. All second hand equipment btw.
07-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
As i'm rather new to DSLR lens don't account on me to be 100% precise, even 50%, i just had one Tamron 18-200 lens and turned out very bad, as bad as the shop changed it on warranty for an SMC almost-equivalent at no cost. All second hand equipment btw.
The seller isn't a commercial outlet, so I can't expect anything like that. I see a listing here on PF for a grey market 70-200mm on sale because it can't be repaired, that's another sign for me to stay put.
07-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #4

If it *can't* be repaired, why bother?

07-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
If it *can't* be repaired, why bother?
My mind is a monkey, it wont let it go once it takes a shine to something.
07-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buy from any store or vendor that permits returns.

Test as soon as you get it, don't throw away any of the packaging.
07-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that a parts-only lens. Grey/gray market is new product that are being sold outside authorized distribution without warranty or service support. The risks for both are clear. Irrepairable means at the very least that you will need parts from another broken lens at the least. Tamron will not sell you the parts.

Steve
07-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
mee
Pentaxian

I'd say no and not touch one with a 10 foot pole unless you can buy a working replacement for less than the cost of non-grey repair.

Grey market items are like buying insurance... it is gambling. You are buying the grey to save money betting the lens won't need repair. Tamron isn't really a brand known for their quality... at least in days past. They seem to be improving today at least. But I wouldn't save 10 or even 20% in buying a grey market lens... too much risk for me... not enough reward.

07-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You may get it cheaper but you'll get no warrenty for it, so any issues with it that'll need fixing will be a out-of-pocket repair
07-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I saw the ad for this. The way it sounded to me is that he was willing to pay for the repair but no one would touch it. Hence unrepairable.
07-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
You may get it cheaper but you'll get no warrenty for it, so any issues with it that'll need fixing will be a out-of-pocket repair
Not entirely true.. Tamron USA's repair policy is not to touch grey market products at all.

QuoteQuote:
TAMRON WARRANTY STATEMENT
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Tamron USA, Inc. will not repair any product that is not an officially imported product and sold through an authorized Tamron USA dealer.
In other words, there will be no authorized repair service under any circumstance for gray market products.

In such a case, the user must return the product to the dealer at which it was purchased for unauthorized repair service.
http://www.tamron-usa.com/support/warranty_statement.pdf

The bigger question is, will Tamron provide parts for a grey market product if serviced at a 3rd party repair shop? That question I cannot answer.

Either way you can see it's rather dicey. Stick to domestically licensed lenses would be my advice.
07-12-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not entirely true.. Tamron USA's repair policy is not to touch grey market products at all.

http://www.tamron-usa.com/support/warranty_statement.pdf

The bigger question is, will Tamron provide parts for a grey market product if serviced at a 3rd party repair shop? That question I cannot answer.

Either way you can see it's rather dicey. Stick to domestically licensed lenses would be my advice.
Apparently KEH wasn't able to get the parts to fix the 70-200mm. So yeah I think my monkey has let go of it..... for now.