Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would have thought it even better on APS-C than FF, UserAccessDenied.

In wildlife and sports (really the only reasons to buy it) you must lay down as many pixels as you can on the target, that's the starting premise.

07-13-2018, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I would have thought it even better on APS-C than FF, UserAccessDenied.

In wildlife and sports (really the only reasons to buy it) you must lay down as many pixels as you can on the target, that's the starting premise.
I use the D FA 150-450mm mainly for aircraft in flight. Sometimes I need the extra field obtained with the K-1-series at 150mm.

If I were using it fairly consistently for distant objects where the reach of 450mm was needed, then indeed the K-3-series would be a better choice.
07-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have one but based on the feedback here, I think it will do great on APS-C. To me, the only thing unlikable about it is its price and weight.
07-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DFA150-450 is a great wildlife lens on APS-C indeed. Before I got it I used a FA*300/4.5 for wildlife (often on a 1.4x TC), and spent a lot of time wondering whether I should upgrade it to the DA*300/4 or not, mainly for the weather sealing and the extra half stop offered by the DA*. In the end I never did and as such I'm glad I "waited" for the 150-450. I still use the FA*300 at times, esp when packing light.

To me the added value of the 150-450 isn't as much in the extra reach on the long end (esp on the current 24MP bodies that allow considerable cropping). Of course it is part of it, but the ability to zoom wider is more important to me still. Whether this is a point of consideration for you depends on the type of wildlife you're photographing of course. Personally, I did a few safari trips to various African destinations, and found I was often frustrated when larger wildlife got too close to get a properly framed shot at 300mm (or more frequently still at 420mm with the TC). Quickly changing lenses to put on the DA*50-135/2.8 or remove the TC was never a good idea, either because of dust or because I simply didn't have the time for it... Many great wildlife shots are gone in a split second, so I invariably missed these shots. Having the ability to zoom back to 150mm makes an immense difference. Not enough for intermediate landscape shots perhaps (even for images intended for panorama stitching 150mm is quite long), but wide enough for closing in wildlife at least.

Some people would take a second body along with an extra lens to cover for this situation, but so far I never went for/used the second body option. When packing my bag I've mostly preferred putting in an extra lens instead of a second body, esp since that second body was mostly my previous camera which was never as good as my main camera, plus it always had slightly different controls, leading to confusion (and time lost) when going from one camera to the other. And an extra lens opens different creative possibilities (e.g. a large aperture wide lens for nocturnal landscapes under the impressive African night sky). Bottom line: I never used that second body even the few times I had one with me.

OTOH, on my next safari trip I *will* be taking a second K-3II (a recently purchased "cheap" last-in-stock copy) with a standard lens fitted. I bought it mostly as a back-up for my old beaten up K-3II that has had a short episode of technical issues (user error), and because I'm not sure an new K-3II equivalent APS-C body will be available soon enough. But since I have two now anyway, I'll go for the two body solution on the next trip... This will be my first time with two *identical* bodies, which should help me actually use both of them.

hth, Wim

07-14-2018, 03:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yuh - I agree with others - If I bought one it would be as a mostly wildlife lens on APS-C - great reach and flexibility and good pixel density for detail on 24Mp cameras
07-14-2018, 05:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another yes here. I use it with my KP with and without the teleconverter, and have been quite happy with it.
07-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
but so far I never went for/used the second body option.
Sometimes when I'm packing my K-1 and lenses to go, I throw my K3II in the bag as my "TC" - it's a really high quality 1.5x converter for those long shots.

07-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
IMHO yes

I suggest you rent one and do your own experimenting

I have used Lensrentals.com from Tennessee with good success

LensRentals.com - Rent a Pentax HD D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW

there are other companies

if you do rent, I recommend you purchase the maximum protection plan
Thanks for the link!

I just priced it out and with the protection plan and the shipping it's just about $200 for 7 days...
That seems kind of high, but I guess it's reasonable given the price of the lens?

It's also nice if I decided to buy it, they would apply my 7-day rental fee towards the purchase of the lens. Not sure what their price is for purchase. Might email them and see.

Thanks again!
07-16-2018, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Thanks for the link!

I just priced it out and with the protection plan and the shipping it's just about $200 for 7 days...
That seems kind of high, but I guess it's reasonable given the price of the lens?

It's also nice if I decided to buy it, they would apply my 7-day rental fee towards the purchase of the lens. Not sure what their price is for purchase. Might email them and see.

Thanks again!
price is cheaper than buying and then deciding you don't like the lens

they are good to talk to and will respond to email as well

ask if they have any specials

if I recall, their sale price depends on inventory and how long they have been renting the specific lens, so if they want too much, you might check to see if they have a lower price one

I have never bought from them but I have bought the 1.4 rear converter and the 150-450mm zoom after I did a try out but from other sources

last time I used them, they shipped to a fed ex facility near where I was going [ Yellowstone National Park ] so I didn't have to worry about getting the equipment to my vacation spot and I mailed it back before coming home.

don't forget to check the market place if you decide to buy vintage

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-16-2018 at 06:06 AM.