Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2018, 06:52 AM - 5 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I've had an opportunity to review photographs since moving from 500px to YouPic. On one hand, the Spiratone Plura-Coat 24mm produces often striking photos with interesting effects. The Formula 5 135mm 1.8 is a horrible lens that nonetheless can produce impressionistic bordering on surreal results. The Helios 77M has produced many really good shots on extension tube. I'm still learning and finding new uses for the Canon FL 55mm 1.2 this is second. But overall, it has to be the Tokina AT-X 90mm 2.5 Macro. The rendition is elegant whether wide open or stopped down a bit. Being able to close focus is a plus. It's not as good as it was on my Oly film camera for portraits, but it works pretty well nonetheless.

Tiger lily f4-ish

Woodland Sunflower, MFD, f2.5

07-15-2018, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

My vote goes to the F 28mm f2.8. I bought it new back in 1989 and am still using it. It fits wonderfully both in overall size, filter size and build between my 21 and 40 Limiteds.
07-15-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #33
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
My vote goes to the F 28mm f2.8. I bought it new back in 1989 and am still using it. It fits wonderfully both in overall size, filter size and build between my 21 and 40 Limiteds.
wouldn't an F28/2.8 have auto-focus?
07-15-2018, 07:27 AM - 4 Likes   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some really excellent answers so far!

I'm pleased so many of you folks decided to reply... I'm always interested to know what vintage gear other people shoot with

I said I'd post my own favourite if the thread took off, so here goes...

Mine is actually the humble Industar-50-2, specifically the late-1960s-to-very-early-70s version. This is the first lens I learned to service, and working on it gave me the confidence to move onto more complicated models. I love the build quality, mechanical simplicity, and the way it feels after a good CLA. Optically, it's nothing amazing, but I really like the way it renders. It does exactly what you'd expect of a decent Tessar. The coatings on this early M42 version produce nice colours and good contrast. Plus, it has a couple of little tricks up its sleeve... such as mild "swirly bokeh" when close focused wide open, and the ability to produce beautiful "rainbow" flare effects with strong angled light...

I use mine mostly on my A7 MkII, but it plays just as nicely with my Pentax APS-C gear.

These are so cheap, I believe everyone should own one. It's best to stick to earlier examples, though. Whilst those from the late 70s and onwards are still good lenses, the coatings on the earlier ones are nicer. And the early models look a little cooler too

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.
07-15-2018, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
wouldn't an F28/2.8 have auto-focus?
Oops, I missed the manual focus part. So, I change my choice to the M 50mm f1.7. Super build quality, like a limited, another that can share 49mm filters and very sharp on digital.
07-15-2018, 08:02 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Right now it's my Pentax K50/1.2. I recently purchased this at Map Camera in Tokyo and since then, I've been using it much more than I anticipated (on my K-3II). I did already have a quasi equivalent Revuenon 55/1.2, and that lens performed nicely, but somehow I never warmed to it. I guess 5mm wider makes a difference to me... Also, optically the K50/1.2 is a category above, and I love the feel of it on my camera. It just oozes quality (which the Revuenon didn't either).

Previous most loved film era MF lenses include the Pentax K135/2.5 (but that lost out to the modern MF Samyang 135/2), and earlier still the Pentax A35-105/3.5 (but I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it back in the day when my budget required me to sell stuff to buy new stuff).

Wim
07-15-2018, 08:32 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

My favorite vintage lens is my Pentax A 35-105 Macro Zoom. I bought it new in 1984 and used it constantly on my wife's K1000 from then till 2007, when I got my K10D...still use it every so often.

Heavy, versatile, beautiful to look at, solid as a Mack truck (about as heavy too ) and the images time after time are excellent.

My favorite non Pentax lens and I must add...I'm not sure if it can be adapted to a Pentax mount, although maybe with a Leitax adapter...but I'm not an expert in this area...so apologize in advance.

The lens in question, is my '30's to '40's (not sure of when it was made, but was told in that bracket) Leica Elmar 50mm F 3.5 Collapsible, screw mount lens. It's attached to my '51 Leica 11f Rangefinder and the photos have been wonderful, sharp, clear, great colour rendition. Hard to believe that such an old codger of a lens can still belt out pictures that rival what a modern lens can do. I've had it since 1981.

07-15-2018, 08:50 AM - 3 Likes   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My favorite vintage lens is my Pentax A 35-105 Macro Zoom. I bought it new in 1984 and used it constantly on my wife's K1000 from then till 2007, when I got my K10D...still use it every so often.

Heavy, versatile, beautiful to look at, solid as a Mack truck (about as heavy too ) and the images time after time are excellent.

My favorite non Pentax lens and I must add...I'm not sure if it can be adapted to a Pentax mount, although maybe with a Leitax adapter...but I'm not an expert in this area...so apologize in advance.

The lens in question, is my '30's to '40's (not sure of when it was made, but was told in that bracket) Leica Elmar 50mm F 3.5 Collapsible, screw mount lens. It's attached to my '51 Leica 11f Rangefinder and the photos have been wonderful, sharp, clear, great colour rendition. Hard to believe that such an old codger of a lens can still belt out pictures that rival what a modern lens can do. I've had it since 1981.
The m mount has a flange focal distance of 27.80mm k mount is 45.46 mm about 18mm longer so pretty much impossible, might be workable on a mirrorless body with a suitable adapter.
07-15-2018, 09:17 AM - 5 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, now I see why I'm having so much trouble filling my K series line-up. But likewise, the SMC K lenses are my favorite vintage lenses, just picking one is very difficult. The K24 3.5, K28 3.5 and K55 1.8 are at the top of my list of all time favorite lenses.

Here's one from the K28 3.5 on the K-1

07-15-2018, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Now this a tough question. Lemme check...

The M 20mm f/4 doesn't see much use these days because it is not wide enough on APS-C. In my film days I found that it was just a tad too wide and required some thought to get good images.

The M 28mm f/2.8 was wonderful with slide film. When combined with a polarizer, super saturated colors was up for grabs. On crop frame, it is a bit of an odd thing. Not wide and not quite a standard lens (close though).

The M 50mm f/1.4 is great for shallow depth of field. I have only used it on digital APS-C bodies. Getting the focus right is tricky for this old timer. Live view helps. A film era focusing screen screen would be useful too.

The A 50mm f/2.8 Macro is just wonderful on crop frame and full frame. Super sharp and easy to use in full program mode. Just enough DOF wide open to make focus easier than the f/1.4.

The M 100mm f/2.8 was a favorite in the film era. It is still nice and I should use it more often. I do yearn for the bokeh madness that a modern 85mm f/1.4 can do, but that is another story.

The K 200mm f/2.5 is quite the shallow DOF bokeh monster when you get it right. Sometimes you get an almost 3D feel to an image. Not easy to focus. The same caveat for the 50mm f/1.4 applies, only more so. Also a lens that I have only used on crop frame.

The M 200mm f/4 is another long time favorite. Quite sharp and easier to focus than the f/2.5.

The A 400mm f/5.6 made proper sport photography possible when I bought it new in the late eighties. It still works well for that purpose, as well as bird and wild life photography when I get around to it.

My favorite? Hard to say, but I will go with the 200mm f/4. It was my first Pentax lens that I bought new and is probably the one that I have used the most over all the years.
07-15-2018, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #41

I don't have a lot of vintage lenses to choose from, but of the ones I have my 1958 Takumar 200mm f3.5 is my favorite. It's a combination of many things. The smooth long-throw focus ring. The 18 bladed preset aperture is a joy to simply watch in operatation. The durable and elegant construction. The ease of disassembly. The out of focus rendering. The fact that you have to put in some thought and effort to get a good photo.
07-15-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I Really like the M42 lenses, and the M lenses. Here's a shot with my M 50 F1.7 which I really like. I just like the overall look from these lenses.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
07-15-2018, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
The m mount has a flange focal distance of 27.80mm k mount is 45.46 mm about 18mm longer so pretty much impossible, might be workable on a mirrorless body with a suitable adapter.
Thanks for the info. I'm still amazed that such an old lens, my Leica Elmar is such a capable lens. It's sharpness has always impressed.
07-15-2018, 11:28 AM - 3 Likes   #44

I'd have to say my Lester Dine (Kino Precesion / Kiron) 105mm f/2.8 macro.

It is solidly built weighing more than my K10D body, sharp and contrasty. It hasn't failed me yet for macro shots or even trips to the zoo. Sometimes I'll attach the Vivitar 2× Macro Focusing Teleconverter if I need a little more reach.
07-15-2018, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Easy: M 50mm f1.7

Sharp, sharp and sharp... even full of fungus still did some very good photos...
...in the end had to throw it away.