Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 295 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 02:56 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What's your favourite vintage / film-era manual focus lens, and why?

For those of you who are sick of this type of thread, please accept my apologies and know that it's in part an effort to get the post count up for the K-1 raffle - but hopefully with some interesting reading for those that care

Still with me? Great... thank you

So, what's your favourite vintage / film-era manual-focus lens, and why? Is it the optical performance or rendering? If so, what do you like about that specifically (resolution, colours, out-of-focus rendering etc.)? Or is it the mechanical build quality? Again, why (is it heavy, light, solid, smooth, high-precision, utilitarian etc.)? Maybe it's just the way that it looks or operates that puts a big smile on your face? What format do you use it on - Q, m4/3, APS-C, FF, medium format, etc.? You get the idea, I'm sure

Valid choices can include those with camera-controlled aperture (such as Pentax A-series), but NOT those with AF (such as F or FA). Manufacture date must be earlier than 2000. Despite the fact that there's no scoring involved, bonus points for really old lenses (just because they're awfully cool ). Can be any mount, for use on any camera, but must be adaptable to one of the Pentax digital or film cameras (Q-series, APS-C, FF or medium format).

If you have a photo of the lens itself (especially your own copy) and/or a photo taken with it, please consider adding it to your post ... it would be appreciated, and no-doubt interesting for others (but it's not mandatory)

I'll reply in-thread with my own (and, I can tease in advance, unlikely) favourite if the thread takes off

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-14-2018 at 03:16 PM.
07-14-2018, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #2

Photos: Albums
My current favourite is an a type f2.8 sigma 24mm macro, i like fairly short lenses and the macro lets me get in close too when i want to.
07-14-2018, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any SMC Pentax ‘K’ lens. They’re each my favorite on any given day.

(I can’t eat just one Lay’s potato chip either).

OK, OK, SMC Pentax 1:3.5 35mm K35/3.5. Small, extremely sharp in center and good across the frame, bright and contrasty, beautiful blues and reds, and of course all the fabulous Pentax manual lens tactile pleasure in use. Sublime on a K-1.

Photos tomorrow - raining sheets ATM.

[EDIT] Added 07/14 22:00 CDT To add some weight to my opinion of SMCP lenses I just bought a pristine K105/2.8 in the Marketplace - this lens is 40+ years old and it is LN-

Last edited by monochrome; 07-14-2018 at 07:57 PM.
07-14-2018, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I have an early 1900's Emil Suter lens which I've been trying to get back to action for a while. I let a shop machine some adapters for it, but since I had only half of the optics, I would've needed too big of a barrel to get it to focus. Then a few weeks ago I found the missing optical group. Just the group. No barrel, which needs to be machined and the optical group inserted. I am hoping I will be able to use it at least as a portrait lens on my Pentax 6x7 since I don't have a large format shutter for it. It's not a large aperture lens, and the lens is scratched, but it's got like 15 aperture blades so we'll see where this rabbit hole takes me.
As for where I got the lens itself, I found it between some old stuff from my dad, so I see it as a nice project, just a project for curiosity's sake, but I doubt it will see much use anyway, unless it turns out to give some special rendering which I fall in love with, for which I'm not keeping my hopes too high. I guess it just means giving the thing some closure instead of total abandonment.

07-14-2018, 03:33 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

50mm A f1.4

It was my first ‘premium’ lens (you, in the back with the f1.2, stop laughing...) and I got it in college.

I shot a lot of basketball in dark arenas with that lens, and I still have it and use it. It’s a little wobbly now, but it’s optically sound and still does its thing...

It isn’t the oldest lens I have, but it may be the one I’ve had the longest (there’s also a Miranda 24mm and my 24-35 that are close there...)

Here it is wide open on the K1, a center crop ~2900 pixels a side from a SOOC Jpeg, shrunk more for posting...

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 07-14-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added a photo and description
07-14-2018, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

My current favorite vintage lens is my A 35-105 f3.5. I rarely used it when I was shooting film, but when I went digital with a K10D, it became a perfect fit for me. Once it turned into a slightly longer zoom range on APS-C, it suited my eye much better and made it a great "walking around" lens for me. I like its build quality, sharpness, and even its considerable weight, which I feel balances my K10D nicely.
07-14-2018, 03:48 PM - 6 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Two SMC Takumars that I bought with money made cutting grass, working at the local tennis center, and washing dishes at the restaurant in the neighborhood, back in the early 1970s. The 55mm f/2 came on my SP1000, and the 105mm f/2.8 I bought soon afterward. They both produce excellent sharpness and beautiful colors, and the relatively fast apertures make it possible to take pictures in low light or produce very narrow depth of field. The build quality of these lenses is stellar, and they are easy to focus using a modern body with good focus peaking. Stopped down the depth of focus is basically in your face to infinity, so they are fine for moving subjects, especially with the aforesaid modern body that manages high ISO (almost said ASA) and allows for fast shutter speeds. They are extremely versatile, especially the 55, which translates to a short tele on an APS-c senor and works wonderfully as a macro lens reversed. All I need now is a short Takumar and most of my needs will be met.

Here they are with the body that I usually use:

Here is a photograph taken yesterday with the 55:

And one from today, again with the 55, reversed:

07-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers so far. Already, it's nice to see such variety!

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I have an early 1900's Emil Suter lens which I've been trying to get back to action for a while.
As for where I got the lens itself, I found it between some old stuff from my dad, so I see it as a nice project, just a project for curiosity's sake
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
50mm A f1.4

It was my first ‘premium’ lens (you, in the back with the f1.2, stop laughing...) and I got it in college.
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
My current favorite vintage lens is my A 35-105 f3.5. I rarely used it when I was shooting film, but when I went digital with a K10D, it became a perfect fit for me.
QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
Two SMC Takumars that I bought with money made cutting grass, working at the local tennis center, and washing dishes at the restaurant in the neighborhood, back in the early 1970s. The 55mm f/2 came on my SP1000, and the 105mm f/2.8 I bought soon afterward.
These are great answers... the kind of stories I (and others, I'm sure) love to hear
07-14-2018, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Unregistered User

My all time favorite lens in any format from any manufacturer is the SMC Pentax-6x7 45mm F4.

Simplicity personified, with no optical faults.

The "Mary Poppins" lens–Practically Perfect in Every Way

Last edited by Unregistered User; 07-15-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added image
07-14-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K 28/3.5, due to its solid build, sharpness stopped down, and wonderful rendering.
07-14-2018, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

The Pentax K 28/3.5 Shift lens is my favorite for five reasons:

1) it provides a real challenge in metering & operations;
2) it's fun to muck about with changing the perspective;
3) the 28mm focal length is quite useful on the K-1;
4) it's a damn sharp lens unshifted;
5) it's built like a tank.
07-14-2018, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although I have not used it for a while, I still love the Super Takumar 50 f1.4
Just like the rendering (ok maybe not so much its flare and CA though).

The S.M.C 55 f1.8 is worth a mention too:
07-14-2018, 05:35 PM - 5 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SMC Pentax-M 20mm F4. I have a few "vintage" lenses remaining from my film days, including a couple of nice Nifty Fifties but of the group, the only "vintage" lens I'm actually using is the M20 F4. Is a very nice fit with my K-1. Lens is almost forty years old, has a lot o cosmetic wear on it but the glass is clear and sharp, and the aperture blades are still snappy.

07-14-2018, 07:45 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super-Takumar 55/1.8 on the K-1 is my current favourite. Soft and glowy wide open but sharpens up nicely stopped down. Cannot create the equivalent rendering with modern lenses. This was at f/2.8 on the K-1 so not quite as glowy as wide open.

07-14-2018, 07:52 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is so unfair, how could anyone have a favorite vintage lens.
40+ years and I'm still trying to learn their individual taste.
Bokeh, vibrant colors, crisp or soft detail - each one has it's special place.
White Poppy - Pentax M100/4 Dental
Feather Art - Pentax M200/4 + Rodagon 105/5.6
From a previous post, Poppy in UltraViolet 340nm - Steinheil Cassarit 50/2.8
Needing a challenge - UV340 - PentaxForums.com
If I dug up photos from the A50 macro or M50/1.7 I'd have to re-evalute all my thoughts again
Great seeing images from all the varieties, it'll feed my LBA to no end.
Attached Images