Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Soligor 28mm F2.0 C/D

Hi....recently came across a Soligor 28mm f2.0 (Olympus OM mount) and picked it up real cheap. Figured I couldn't go wrong as it was wide and fast. Anyone know anything about this lens? Most google searches were scarce or returned info about the Soligor 28mm f.2.8. Thanks.

07-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any shots of it?

I recently bought a Spiratone Plura-Coat 28mm f2, but know next to nothing about it...
07-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Soligor 28/2.8 is a solid lens, well-built, sharp stopped down, with good color, so I imagine the 28/ 2 would be similar.

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_3423.html

Last edited by jlstrawman; 07-14-2018 at 05:46 PM.
07-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
C/D was their top of the line lenses, I believe. I thought C/D stood for Computer Design, but it may also stand for Compact Design. Here's a good webpage on Soligors. I am not an expert, but my research suggests the 28mm C/D f/2.0 maybe be different enough from the regular 28mm f/2.8. It was a bigger lens, to start. Soligor also offered a "Golden Series" 28mm f2.5.

I found an old ad for the C/D line. Looks like Soligor introduced the C/D lenses in 1974. The ad mentions that they are multicoated.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 07-18-2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: added a missing verb
07-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Does it physically resemble either of these two?

Vivitar (Kiron - serial 22xxxxx) 28mm f2 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar (Komine 28xxxx) 28mm F2.0 MC Close Focus Wide Angle Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The Komine is regarded as the better of the two and is the version I have. I would thoroughly recommend it as both optically good and very pleasurable to use but old fast 28mm lenses seem to have more than their fair share of problems, especially aperture problems such as being slow or having oil on them. These are fix-able problems if you take them to a decent technician for repair. These lenses often go for significantly more than their f/2.8 brethren so if you got one cheap then you're lucky.
07-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It's a member of the prestigious "C/D P" family of lenses, made by Tokina for Soligor, and meant to be top-of-the-line, solidly built, fast alternatives to the Series 1 primes sold by Vivitar.
The red "P" could stand for "Pro", or maybe define the kind of coating being used, and is used only in four or five primes, all made by Tokina, with very good construction and modern (for the time) optical layouts.
The 2/28mm is the last lens I purchased, so I still have no opinions about its optical qualities, though I can say it's a gorgeous lens with a beautiful build.
I already had the most renowned member of the "C/D P" family, the 2/135mm, which is my favorite high speed 135mm, and a lens I always try to bring with me for portrait use on FF.
Both lenses I own are in M42 mount. There is no PKA version I'm aware of, but I would prefer to have the PK bayonet instead of the screw mount... I like to mount and remove lenses as quick as possible
The other members of the prestigious "C/D P" family I've seen are the 55mm Macro and the 2.8/200mm. There is another 2.8/200mm in the C/D line, but has no red "P", and was made by Sun Optical.
In another forum someone suggested the presence of another one, a 2/100mm, but I believe that lens predates the C/D (Computer Designed) series.
I own another very similar lens of the C/D line, also made by Tokina. It's the 2.8/100mm Macro. The construction is similar, but there is no red P.
I absolutely love the best Soligor primes, like the old super fast preset teles, or the best examples of the C/D line. I will try soon the 2/28mm, it is said to be prone to flare but with a beautiful rendering of out-of-focus areas.

Cheers

Paolo

---------- Post added 18-07-18 at 01:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
AFAIK all the Komine-made and Kino-made Soligor's predate the C/D line. All those I've seen are either Sun or Tokina.
Regarding other 2/28mm, well... as always happens when vintage lenses are involved, it depends very much on the state of the single examples.
I believe that a specific example of the Vivitar/Komine might beat a Vivitar/Kino (or its Kiron equivalent), but I have seen the test charts published at the time by major photographic magazines: the Kiron 2/28mm (and its 2/24mm sibling) stand out with impressive figures, even compared with well regarded OEM optics made by the "big brands".
The Komine is a very interesting lens though. A fast 28mm with close focus capability allows for some very creative framing
Each lens can find its use. Even the Mitake (Spiratone), which isn't the sharpest, has a very artsy bokeh
08-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by imagohouse Quote
Hi....recently came across a Soligor 28mm f2.0 (Olympus OM mount) and picked it up real cheap. Figured I couldn't go wrong as it was wide and fast. Anyone know anything about this lens? Most google searches were scarce or returned info about the Soligor 28mm f.2.8. Thanks.

Hello, I purchased the same Soligor 28mm f2 and had trouble finding anything on it as well. However, I have been using it for the last 3 months on a sony a7riii and the lens is awsome! It has good character, good sharpness especially around f4-f8. It has close focusing, which is a HUGE bonus. I have used this lens from the beach, to the woods, and it has been a great addition to my kit.
I also own the sony FE 28mm f2, and personally the Soligor lens has more character and versatility.