Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Chinon 50/1.4

What is a Chinon 50/1.4 worth? And is it a good lens?

So far, I could only find someone claiming its optics are very similar to Pentax's own 50/1.4 lenses + a beautiful snail shot on Flickr. Not really enough to go by.

I'm considering buying one for $50, but not sure whether that'd be a good deal ...

09-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote

So far, I could only find someone claiming its optics are very similar to Pentax's own 50/1.4 lenses + a beautiful snail shot on Flickr. Not really enough to go by.

I'm considering buying one for $50, but not sure whether that'd be a good deal ...
Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Chinon 50mm f1.7 .... Not bad..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinon_Industries
09-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote

Question: 'A' mount? If so, it might be worth more than if it isn't.

If it is not an A-mount lens the value should be somewhat less than a Pentax-K or Pentax-M 50/1.4, either of which may be had for $50 most days of the week. The price should also be somewhat less than a XR Rikenon 50/1.4 or 50/1.7, both of which have excellent reputations, but generally sell less than a similar Pentax.

(Note: Other members may correct me on these price estimates without insulting me!)

Chinon has sold some good lenses though I don't believe that any particularly stand out or have "cult" standing. I think there may be some images in the off-brand lens club thread. My sole exposure was to a 50/2 at the local camera shop. It was on a camera body I bought last month. The quality was such that I requested that they keep the lens. They credited me $5.

My take is that if offered for $25, is in really good shape, and you don't have to pay shipping...go for it. Otherwise, you may be able to do better in terms of build/image quality with another brand.

Steve
09-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

If it is not an A-mount lens..
If it's A-mount lens, than it would be for Minolta/Sony, not for Pentax

09-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve
Doubt you will find many "A" mount Chinon lenses since their program cameras didn't require it. With a Chinon program camera you just set the lens to the minimum aperture you want to allow and go. BTW, the Chinon 50/1.4 (K-mount) gives pretty good results.