Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
While I know the lens is very good, I don't understand why would someone buy it. If I would like to travel light/make family memories then the KP + DA 16-85/DA17-70 is much more compact, lighter and cheaper. I think the full frame camera is for the maximal image quality, so I prefer primes on the K-1, or the professional F2.8 zooms. Tele zooms are another story. At 105mm F5.6 I get a similar background blur as 70mm F4 on APS-C, so again, the full frame does not have advantage with the 28-105. The KP has a similar ISO performance, only one stop worse, but I can gain that one stop when I open the sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 to one more stop. (I also get the same DoF then.) Okey, I get 36MP insted of 24MP, but if I would like to make large prints, then the better lens would help a lot.
With the option of modern APS-C cameras I really not see the purpose of the consumer standard zooms on full frame.
Let's not forget the WR value of this lens. This lens will likely be my next lens purchase because when working in a dusty environment or rainy weather, I don't want to be swapping out lenses and risk getting dust or water on the sensor.

07-17-2018, 08:55 AM - 6 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

... I prefer primes on the K-1, or the professional F2.8 zooms ...
If you don't need wide aperture for thin depth of field or very low light, the 28-105 performs as well as the 24-70 and most primes. That's one of the reasons people use the 28-105.

The 28-105 is more than sharp enough. Here's a heavily cropped example, using 1/16 of the K-1 sensor area. Ideally, this photo would have been taken with a longer telephoto but it was a surprise opportunity while walking near Niagara Falls.

07-17-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Its fits nicely on the K7 .....
...and the range is quite usable on APS-C as you so nicely show. For years, I shot 70-150 on 35mm film and have thought that a similar FOV on the long end for APS-C would be very nice. A normal-to-moderate tele zoom for APS-C is sort of a no-brainer in some ways. If I did not already have the range covered, I would seriously consider the 28-105 for my K-3.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-17-2018 at 02:57 PM.
07-17-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

I have a K-1 and a 28-105. I really like this combination. I have ASP-C bodies also and ASP-lenses. But my favourite camera is the K-1. The resolution, the ability to crop a lot out of an image and still have a very high image quality. I have a K5 and a K10D...yes I can do the same things, cropping, etc...still have a high image quality...but the K-1 allows for even more ability to do so and I like that advantage.

The 28-105 is an excellent lens. I know it's billed as a consumer lens, but if I didn't know better...the images it produces are better than the average consumer lens I've ever used.

I use the 28-105 and my 40mm Limited F 2.8 pancake lens mostly. The 40mm works well on full frame and the pix from this lens always seem to have a little something extra.

I wouldn't recommend any camera or lens. The K-1 works well for me, but I also like my K-5 and Pentax 12-24. Could I get by without a K1 and 28-105 ? Sure.

If I lost all my camera equipment what would I get, I occasionally mull over.

I'm getting older and sometimes think that I would like to downsize. I've thought of a Fuji rangefinder type camera and attendant Fuji lenses, but I would probably look at something like a KP, a 40 Limited, a 100 F 2.8 Macro and a 18-135 and maybe a 300mm with 1.4 extender. I might get another Pentax 12-24 as this is a heckuva lens.

Or maybe another K-1, 28-105 and 40mm Limited.

07-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #50

Photos: Gallery
I do agree with the OP that when my primary purpose is going out to take pictures, I break out the primes. If I am taking portraits, doing panoramas or I am headed out to take landscape photos at a national park, I will take my primes and take the time to switch out lenses. For astrophotography, I use a dedicated Samyang 14/2.8–I don’t even try using my 28-105 for that.
07-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I don't have a full frame but if I did, the only reason I wouldn't choose the 28-105 over alternatives would be that I've very often used my 16-x and 17-x aps lenses at the extreme wide end, so I'd very much prefer a 24-x on full-frame. I had a 28-x on 35mm and felt compelled to buy a 24mm to bridge the gap from my 17mm. While there are times when f2.8 would be nice, I'd prefer the size/weight of a slower lens vs. a full-frame f2.8.
07-18-2018, 02:40 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the answares.

I'am supprised how many of us would like to walkaround with a FF digital K-1, I do not want (and I don't have one). I use my KP with my 18-135 for walkaround, I add the DA15 when I need a wider lens also. My other walkaround setup is the PZ-1p with the three FA limiteds.
I think you walk around with a K-1 because you like the quality you get from the camera. I own a K-3, K-01, K-1 and K-1 II. I still shoot some with the K-3 and K-01 but honestly when I am editing photos I usually wish that I had shot with the K-1 instead. The additional weight doesn't really bother me, but the additional quality is worth it to me.

Others will differ. It is why there are plenty of people shooting with micro four thirds or APS-C or even cell phone cameras. There isn't a right or wrong answer, but if you are in search of better image quality, you do have a tendency to gravitate towards bigger sensors. At the same time, sometimes you need zooms for flexibility.

07-18-2018, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you walk around with a K-1 because you like the quality you get from the camera. I own a K-3, K-01, K-1 and K-1 II. I still shoot some with the K-3 and K-01 but honestly when I am editing photos I usually wish that I had shot with the K-1 instead. The additional weight doesn't really bother me, but the additional quality is worth it to me.

Others will differ. It is why there are plenty of people shooting with micro four thirds or APS-C or even cell phone cameras. There isn't a right or wrong answer, but if you are in search of better image quality, you do have a tendency to gravitate towards bigger sensors. At the same time, sometimes you need zooms for flexibility.
Yes. But there is an additional factor:

When I'm shooting at an outdoor event, I'll be using a K-1-series with battery grip, plus either the D FA 150-450mm or the D FA* 70-200mm lenses.

When I strip this down to just the K-1-series (no grip) plus the D FA 28-105mm lens, the combination appears to be light-weight!

(And, of course very high image quality).
07-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I used to think the same thing....why ? Then I started looking at landscape and general images with this lens a bit closer. I finally got one and my question now is …" why wouldn't someone get this lens for their K-1" ?
Even if someone has very deep pockets , this lens is a "Must Have" in every K-1 users arsenal !
07-18-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I walked around three cities in Spain with a 645D and a monopod a few years back. I didn't find it cumbersome at all. Photographers used to walk around with 4x5 Speed Graphics. Walk and shoot with whatever tool accomplishes what you have in mind to capture.
07-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I only really keep a crop camera as a "teleconverter" for my longer lenses, and I only keep my DA limited lenses and the DA10-17 because I still have a crop camera.
I was under the impression that the same image can be achieved by simply cropping the ff image to the same FOV as the crop camera - no?
07-18-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

It would look the same on screen, yes. The cropped image would have resolution similar to a K5, so if you don't need more res than that you may not need an aps-c camera as well. However many do want higher resolution than K5, and so they choose a K3 over a K1 .

The main plus here is being able to fill their frame with the subject (typically wildlife, aeroplanes, sports, those sorts of things), and to do that needs less focal length/smaller lenses than doing the same on the K1. But you'd have to actually need the K3 resolution to make that a true technical advantage over using the K1 and cropping.
07-18-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I was under the impression that the same image can be achieved by simply cropping the ff image to the same FOV as the crop camera - no?
No. 15 MP instead of 24 MP. You can create the same image on APS-c by using a shorter lens, and the difference will be equally obscure, between the FF and APS-c image. Bottom line, both can do what the other does for 95% of the images you're likely to capture.

--------

There's just one good reason for buying the DFA 28-105. It's modern glass and comes under th umbrella of "lenses designed to take advantage fo the resolution of the K-1." That being said, it also takes advantage of the higher centre sharpness of a K-3 or K-p (or K-70).

Apart from the 70-200 and possibly the 150-450, there are no other candidates.

The new modern primes are coming but they are coming slowly.

In my experience, no other lens is going to give you the same IQ. You can talk about fast primes, but there are no modern fast primes for Pentax apart from the soon to be released 50 1.4.

Modern glass for modern sensors completely redefines a new set of standards in both design and manufacturing. Older film primes were designed and manufactured to a lower standard. That's the ugly truth.

SO what are your other choices. Around my house, my wife and I both use this lens at every opportunity on both FF and APS-c. But there's no way to explain why. It's images are just more compelling than other lenses. They are cleaner, better micro-contrast, brilliant resolution. Rendering that's to die for, but even with all that, you still might not like it. So if you're hoping for some sure fire reason to buy the lens, their isn't one.

The biggest reason would be you have a K-1 and you want to make the most of it. But there are lots of other reasons that wold be just as good.

When kenspo first suggested this I ripped into him pretty good. Now that I have a lens designed to the new standards, I have to agree with him. My older glass simply isn't comparable.

When my prime loving wife starts lugging a zoom everywhere, you know something's up.

Last edited by normhead; 07-18-2018 at 07:44 AM.
07-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can talk about fast primes, but there are no modern fast primes for Pentax apart from the soon to be released 50 1.4.
To be pedantic: "there are no Pentax modern fast primes for Pentax apart from the soon to be released 50 1.4."

(Unfortunately).

I (somewhat reluctantly) bought the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D and the Samyang 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye. Some may say they are not really "fast". I would claim that they are "fast", since they don't need much stopping down to be useful.
07-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It would look the same on screen, yes. The cropped image would have resolution similar to a K5,. . .
OK, thanks for the explanation. I was thinking sensor size vs resolution. I see that, at least mathematically, a FF sensor would need to be ~ 57 megapixels (vs 36.4 for the K-1) to be comparable to KP resolution.