Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lens Cleaning

Is it worth sending a DA 18-55 lens in to be cleaned or should I just throw it away and try again, I purchased on from someone in the forum and there are a bunch of spots inside and you can see them in the shots. Not sure if it's mildew or not. look in the right side of the sky just above the grass. There all over the sky but you can only see them on the original shot.

Click to Enlarge ignor the fat guy.

Thanks
Jack

09-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is most likely dust on your sensor.
09-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I switched lenses and it's not there.
09-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

By the look of the photo, the lens was stopped down. That is the best way to make sensor dust show.

Try the other lens, stop it down and shoot a blank shot of the sky. Then have a look for dust.

If the spots do not show, and are just aparent with the 18-55, then have a look at the rear lens element. Dust there will often show.

Any other ideas anyone?

09-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #5

I agree, it looks like sensor dust. Try another lens - not a telephoto - the wider the beter. Stop it down to f/19+ or so and shoot a clear blue sky. Let us know the results.
09-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try the lens on a different Pentax body and see if the dirt follows the lens. The dirt looks in too good of focus to be on the lens.

To clean your camera body, just put the camera in the sensor cleaning mode (it is in the menus), hold your camera so that the opening in the body is facing down, and take a photo blower and blow up on the sensor. You have to do this forcibly -don't worry it won't hurt the sensor. You may as well blow on your focusing screen while you are at it. I have done this with my camera and it always works.

Tom
09-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it was on the K100D camera and I guess it is the sensor, I tryed my damnest to get it to blow off but it all dosen't come off. Is it ok to use that special brush that came with the blower to lightly dust off the sensor, just barely spin it over the sensor?

09-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Well it was on the K100D camera and I guess it is the sensor, I tryed my damnest to get it to blow off but it all dosen't come off. Is it ok to use that special brush that came with the blower to lightly dust off the sensor, just barely spin it over the sensor?
I would avoid the use of the brush. The reason for this is that by brushing the sensor, you will make it accumulate static which will make the dust problem much worse.

There are special sensor cleaning kits made which use anti-static materials and techniques. I have heard that a product called Arctic butterfly is good, although I have not personally tried it.
09-17-2008, 02:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

A friend of mine had the same problem (stubborn dust particle) and ended up sending in for professional service. They cleaned/aligned everything and it was better than new! Cost about $100 australian over here.

The sensor is a very delicate part of the camera indeed.
09-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #10

see: SensorCleaning.com -- How?