Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super Takumar 35/3.5 resolution

Hello,

Haven't been around here a lot as I've apparently taken an accidental break from photography.

I recently bought a Super Takumar 35/3.5 as I haven't got a decent 35mm lens. They all seem to suffer from resolution issues, my MIR 1v is hard to focus in live view because I can't tell when it's sharpest and my WEP Weiton 35/2 has some serious highlight ghosting.
So when the Takumar popped up on the local equivalent of ebay I thought I'd get that. But 35mm lenses just don't seem to be my thing.

Here's two 100% crops.

Infinity seems worst:

Anything from min focusing distance to 1.2m or so seems better:

Lens barrel looks accident free but I haven't attempted to open it up as I wouldn't know what to look for really.
Is this yet another 35mm lemon to add to my collection or can something be done? I doubt it's normal as the ratings in the database suggest otherwise.

Cheers

Edit: Not sure if I'm venting my frustration or seeking help, but help is, of course, appreciated!

Last edited by Topsy; 07-17-2018 at 06:20 PM.
07-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you using a genuine Pentax adapter ?
07-17-2018, 06:11 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this lens is clearly not focusing accurately at infinity, fortunately this is a pretty quick fix :

1] Remove the lens name ring ( it unscrews anti-clockwise) 2]unscrew the three screws holding the filter attachment barrel - 3] loosen* the screws holding the focus ring the the focusing helicoid - move the focus ring to adjust for accurate infinity focus** - then tighten the screws at the correct focus point and re-assemble the lens.

*do not remove them entirely.

**A fair amount of trial and error is involved here, using live view is recommended.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-17-2018 at 06:23 PM.
07-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Are you using a genuine Pentax adapter ?
I've tried multiple, none of which are genuine but work fine with my other lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
this lens is clearly not focusing accurately at infinity, fortunately this is a pretty quick fix :

1] Remove the lens name ring - 2]unscrew the three screws attaching the filter attachment barrel - 3] loosen* the screws holding the focus ring the the focusing helicoid - move the focus ring to adjust for accurate infinity focus** - then tighten the screws at the correct focus point and re-assemble the lens.

*do not remove them entirely.

**A fair amount of trial and error is involved here, using live view is recommended.
Failed at step one when I tried a few weeks ago when i received the lens but couldn't get the name ring to budge. I tried with the lenscap + rubber glove method. Are there any other ways to get it off that I'm not aware of?

07-17-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Three questions...
  • What camera?
  • If Pentax dSLR...What type adapter(genuine Pentax, copy of Pentax, flanged adapter)?The first two fit entirely within the mount opening on the camera. The third type has a flange that covers the body mount face.
  • Have you had success with any adapted lens on your camera?
Adjusting the lens' infinity focus is possible, but the amount needed for the flanged adapter may be beyond what is available.

Steve
07-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I've tried multiple, none of which are genuine but work fine with my other lenses.
Except for the three 35mm focal length? When a user reports similar issues with multiple adapted lenses, either they are buying really junky lenses, have a problem with their camera, or have an issue with the adapter.

Steve
07-17-2018, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Three questions...
  • What camera?
  • If Pentax dSLR...What type adapter(genuine Pentax, copy of Pentax, flanged adapter)?The first two fit entirely within the mount opening on the camera. The third type has a flange that covers the body mount face.
  • Have you had success with any adapted lens on your camera?
Adjusting the lens' infinity focus is possible, but the amount needed for the flanged adapter may be beyond what is available.

Steve
  • K-1
  • Copy of Pentax, flangeless
  • Yes, everything I've got from 1880 to 1980.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Except for the three 35mm focal length? When a user reports similar issues with multiple adapted lenses, either they are buying really junky lenses, have a problem with their camera, or have an issue with the adapter.

Steve
I'm buying junky 35mm lenses. Funnily enough they all have one thing in common: I bought them in Switzerland and not on ebay from England or Ukraine or during vacations.
This is the only of the 35s that only has an issue at infinity. I believe the WEP is not the best design and glows all over the place and the MIR might really be a lemon or in desperate need of a service. (I don't use the latter on the K-1 anyways, rear element is too close the the mirror for my liking!)

07-17-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #8

As others have suggested, your problem could be the adapter.

I have two 35/f3.5’s and have tested them both with a genuine Pentax adapter on my K-5 IIs with no issues. Here’s a link to a few sample shots that I did recently. It’s actually a nice little lens. Hope you get yours working.

Super-Takumar 1:3.5/35 | Flickr
07-17-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

1] Remove the lens name ring ( it unscrews anti-clockwise) . . .
. . .
Failed at step one when I tried a few weeks ago when i received the lens but couldn't get the name ring to budge. I tried with the lenscap + rubber glove method. Are there any other ways to get it off that I'm not aware of?

I've had success by heating the name ring prior to using the cap & glove technique. I just set a lens in front of my space heater for a couple minutes. It's worked the five or ten times I've tried it.

Also, just a word of caution about focus ring grease. I haven't seen any signs of trouble from my lenses, but I suppose it's possible too much heat could cause the grease to melt and migrate..? I hope someone here knows better than I.
07-17-2018, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

If it is an infinity focus issue (and I think it is), it would be worth determining if it is focusing past infinity or not quite to infinity. Try backing off off a hair from the stop and retaking some distant shots and see if that fixes things. If it does, then I think that would suggest it is not the adapter. If the adapter is too thick, that would mean the lens can never get close enough to the sensor to hit infinity, but if the lens gets to infinity and then passes it, the issue is with the lens itself (maybe a thin gasket between the lens and adapter, pushing the lens farther out, would fix it?) Some of the lens pros let us know if this makes sense.
07-17-2018, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote

Also, just a word of caution about focus ring grease. I haven't seen any signs of trouble from my lenses, but I suppose it's possible too much heat could cause the grease to melt and migrate..? I hope someone here knows better than I.
That is a risk indeed, so I never heat to anything above the temperature that still allows the lens to be held in the hand. Rubber stops/plugs for washing basins may work as well, in particular when you attach a piece of clean silicon to the bottom as that provides a lot of grip.

Good luck with this!
Hans
07-18-2018, 03:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Just try to focus the lens in live view. You will see whether it overshoots infinity or doesn't reach it.
07-18-2018, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

couldn't get the name ring to budge. I tried with the lenscap + rubber glove method. Are there any other ways to get it off that I'm not aware of?
I've had good luck using the edge of a roll of electrical tape. The diameter of the roll is just about perfect for a 49mm filter lens.
07-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I initially had the feeling that the resolution deteriorated drastically closer to infinity, but it does seem like the lens simply doesn't focus that far.
(Goes to show how much time I've spent with it on the camera.. )

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I've had good luck using the edge of a roll of electrical tape. The diameter of the roll is just about perfect for a 49mm filter lens.
This seems like a brilliant idea! But it seems like my roll isn't sticky enough. The ring won't budge!
07-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try unscrewing the whole barrel, everything in front of the focus ring. The Auto-Takumar 55/1.8 works like that.

If you are careful, you can get some drops of penetrating oil in between the name ring and the filter threads. But you don't want oil on the name ring surface or your tool won't work.

I used to keep stubborn lenses around and work at them while watching TV.