Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 11:07 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

D-FA* 50 f/1.4

Apparently I am one of the lucky early adapters. I took delivery of the lens yesterday. I am under an NDA regarding posting images until tomorrow, and will try to have something of a report to post here soon.
So far, I can say it's looking really good, but it is big and heavy.

07-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

Christmas came a day early. Does the lens self-destruct if you break the NDA? I'm not urging you to do so, but just curious as to the terms (if you can discuss them).
07-19-2018, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Seems a guy here in Germany got it as well:

07-19-2018, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Christmas came a day early. Does the lens self-destruct if you break the NDA? I'm not urging you to do so, but just curious as to the terms (if you can discuss them).
My pusher said I could have it a couple of days early provided I promised not to post any pictures to the web. The sales rep for Pentax may have had a hand in getting the lens out early for me. I've known him for years, and he knows my history with the brand.
Canadian availability is set for tomorrow if I am not mistaken.
Let me just say that this hasn't stopped me from taking pictures with it.
So far it looks yummy. Really, really yummy.

07-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My pusher said I could have it a couple of days early provided I promised not to post any pictures to the web. The sales rep for Pentax may have had a hand in getting the lens out early for me. I've known him for years, and he knows my history with the brand.
Canadian availability is set for tomorrow if I am not mistaken.
Let me just say that this hasn't stopped me from taking pictures with it.
I wonder what the motivation/benefit of this is. Seems that in a rapidly changing industry, free publicity would be worth it, the earlier the better. Especially for a relatively small-scale, niche product.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My pusher said I could have it a couple of days early provided I promised not to post any pictures to the web.
The pcitures can be shown but not on the Canadian territory.
07-19-2018, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wonder what the motivation/benefit of this is. Seems that in a rapidly changing industry, free publicity would be worth it, the earlier the better. Especially for a relatively small-scale, niche product.
It might just be my store manager playing it safe with the supplier. Having said that, she is in the habit of getting me newly released equipment early. When the Fuji 56/1.2 came out, I had it a week before it's release date. I was asked at the time to hold off posting images from it until the release date.
I don't understand the rationale is, but I will respect it.

---------- Post added 07-19-18 at 03:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The pcitures can be shown but not on the Canadian territory.
To me that would be an example of abusing the letter of the law to circumvent the spirit of the law.

07-19-2018, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Bill, I'm delighted you got the lens! Despite my eagerness to know more about how it performs in every respect, I sincerely wouldn't want you to do anything to risk breaking the NDA, or damaging your long-standing relationship and trust with your supplier. I'm sure everyone here feels the same... But we all look forward with great interest to your thoughts on the lens and any images you can share, as and when that's possible

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-20-2018 at 04:17 AM.
07-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats!
I guess the NDA is just to create expectation and momentum. If all news and posts are started the same day, it creates a spike in web routing and searches and that in return can be a "free" positive publicity spread. More or less like when something gets viral, but just between photographers and gearheads.
I hope you can go out tonight and take some cool shots with it for us to see tomorrow!

07-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #10

Well, whatever the reason it certainly is a nice gesture of goodwill by all towards a longtime good customer. Can't wait to see some shots.
07-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm intrigued and looking forward to some photos. In some way, the anticipation just makes it all the better.

07-19-2018, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
NDAs in publicity are put in place so that the reviews and advertising you've arranged beforehand with established magazines and reviewers aren't undermined by earlier amateur posts that you're not able to vet or have a measure of quality control over.

We can debate about whether they should still exist in this day and age with a niche brand that normally gets little to no publicity, but that's the reason.

Something particular to photography and software that goes even further are the NDAs that apply to beta or preproduction products. A shot taken with those can unfairly end up on the internet and a flaw can get a lot of negative talk that is hard to undo when the 'real' version' comes out complete with fixes. I think at Photokina people shooting with this lens weren't allowed to put in their own SD cards.
07-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Seems a guy here in Germany got it as well
It's surprising how much you can understand even if you can't speak a word of German...except for das ist sehr gut.
07-19-2018, 08:45 PM - 6 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apparently I am one of the lucky early adapters. I took delivery of the lens yesterday. I am under an NDA regarding posting images until tomorrow, and will try to have something of a report to post here soon.
So far, I can say it's looking really good, but it is big and heavy.
Well, here we go. Here's a shot of the thing on the K1, and for size comparison, I've surrounded it with a selection of 50mm lenses, as well as the 43LTD.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-T1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-T1  Photo 
07-19-2018, 08:57 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, here we go. Here's a shot of the thing on the K1, and for size comparison, I've surrounded it with a selection of 50mm lenses, as well as the 43LTD.
It looks like Andre the Giant taking on six volunteers from the audience!