Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Yes, composition adjust is one of the coolest and most useful features to exist, image circle permitting. The good thing is that UWA lenses benefit even from small movements, since a small shift corresponds to a larger angle than other types of lenses.

07-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Canon has a lot more than three.
Current L series TS-E lenses: 17, 24 II, 50, 90 and 135 mm.
And there are three older, the latter two non L versions: 24, 45 and 90 mm.
I had not looked at Canon for a looong time, and really only knew about their main three. Thanks for the update!!

On, the other hand - I believe that composition adjustment may be able to be combined with pixel shift (super resolution with real true color). Also, with my shift lens, just shooting "around the clock", (shift lens rotates and stops at each clock position), you can effectively easily shoot a 645 image with the much higher resolution and not move the camera/tripod at all. Then just stitch the frames together and crop to your needs.

I have shot my shift lens, shifted all the way over to 11mm and added the full complement of 24 units of composition shift (limited by the image circle), and everything came out looking fine. Not the world's most compelling imagery - but it was a test...
07-23-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've the K-1 and 15-30 as well, and have been very happy with it. Not much architectural shooting, but lots of landscape and astro. I've tried the Samyang, Irix and the FA20, and the 15-30 seems better than any of them. The size isn't that big an issue, as I'm almost always using it on a tripod. The filter thing is a bigger headache, but I ended up getting the Haida system (and a step down ring to also use that on my DFA*70-200 and DA*300).
I live in UT and spend a lot of time in the mountains and deserts so the dust and weatherproofing is a big deal.
07-23-2018, 02:09 PM - 8 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Here are some.

It is good lens for focus stacking thanks to fairly flat field curvature. You can use Tamron 15-30 Wonderpana adapter on this one if screw-in filters are needed.

---------- Post added 24-07-18 at 00:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I believe that composition adjustment may be able to be combined with pixel shift
Yes this is possible. I use it all the time. There is however a bug or feature. If extreme sensor shift is used in any direction PS usually gives minor artifact grid as the sensor cannot be moved any more towards the edge. This why I always use shift value of 23 instead of 24 when combining PS with sensor shift.

Last edited by MJKoski; 07-23-2018 at 02:19 PM.
07-23-2018, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
As usual, fantastic responses from a fabulous bunch of folk. Thanks to all.

And, I've taken your kind responses to heart, and my new 15-30 will be in my grasp in a couple of days.

MJKoski, when I see compelling, stunning images, like yours, I see where I'd like to be, soon, or someday. So believe me when I tell you, what you have accomplished with those images is exactly what I'd like to be able to achieve, in my own voice, of course, in time. So please, take my compliment at it's highest face value, as your images are superb. However, something is whispering to me that i could never achieve that level of artistic refinement simply by waiting for the proper hour, in the right location, using the corrects settings, and then just shoot, or am I being unfair to the lens? So of course your source material must be excellent (garbage in, garbage out?), however, when I see imagery like this, in the context of this discussion, I feel very compelled to ask you how you accomplished such photos.

But i also realize what i'm looking at is probably years of practice and refinement, so it probably isn't realistic to expect an answer from you to such a broad question (e.g., how did you paint that, Mr. Picasso?) so at a minimum, I would be very beholden to you if you could even be so kind as to give me a keyword if there is a general technique being used, or (hopefully), point me at a book, or even a website where such techniques are emphasized (even here?). Also, I would like you to know I have been using photoshop, and various digital editing and art apps for many years, in digital watercolor and architectural rendering, so i'd like to believe i've got a good foundation to build upon, and i'm fully tooled up with adobe cc apps, so I have coverage there.

Again, thank each and every respondent for your generous thoughts.

My best,

Bill C.

Last edited by BillyCooper; 07-23-2018 at 07:01 PM.
07-24-2018, 12:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks Bill. I just try to scout some rarely visited forgotten locations and then execute as conditions match. I have used (ultra) wide angles for a decade as my primary lens and only recently switched to longer focals trying to see from another PoV with kinda random results. My normal focal length so far has been ~21mm (fullframe).

Enjoy your 15-30mm. It is one of the very best UWA zoom lenses.
07-24-2018, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Buy it. It is perfect for your needs. Don't let my paltry efforts dissuade you.

Architecture:

Landscape:

Architecture in a landscape

Astro (not my thing, so I'm sure this is a poor example)
Wow, really nice Sandy.
Terry

---------- Post added 07-24-18 at 11:18 AM ----------

The Irix 15 will never compete with the DFA 15-30. Also, if you get the 15-30, allow room in your budget for a $1,000 tripod and ballhead, and $1,000 for a filter system.
Terry

07-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
allow room in your budget for a $1,000 tripod and ballhead, and $1,000 for a filter system
Yes, I recommend this also. Former combination is mandatory in general for hi-res digital camera setup.
07-24-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if you get the 15-30, allow room in your budget for a $1,000 tripod and ballhead, and $1,000 for a filter system.
At least one of the long exposure images I posted (St Michael's Mount in Cornwall) was taken atop my little Sirui travel tripod, with its diminutive ball head. In the absence of strong winds it does a pretty good job.

I agree about the filters though. I managed without for two years, but I recently invested in a Lee system, which did cost a pretty penny. On the other hand, it will work on nearly all my lenses and offers functionality with graduated ND's that screw-ins can't.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-24-2018 at 09:23 PM.
07-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #25

Original Poster
Wow, really nice Sandy.
Terry

---------- Post added 07-24-18 at 11:18 AM ----------

The Irix 15 will never compete with the DFA 15-30. Also, if you get the 15-30, allow room in your budget for a $1,000 tripod and ballhead, and $1,000 for a filter system.
Terry
Thanks Terry,

I've already drop a little bundle on a Benro Mach 3 s4 (it's over 80", so it's stout, and an Acratech GP, so i'm pretty confident, i'm almost ready to get after it.

Thanks mate!

---------- Post added 07-24-18 at 09:09 PM ----------

At least one of the long exposure images I posted (St Michael's Mount in Cornwall) was taken atop my little Sirui travel tripod, with its diminutive ball head. In the absence of strong winds it does a pretty good job.

I agree about the filters though. I managed without for two tears, but I recently invested in a Lee system, which did cost a pretty penny. On the other hand, it will work on nearly all my lenses and offers functionality with graduated ND's that screw-ins can't.
Sandy, thanks for the info, and like everyone posting up in this thread, lovely images. Like I mentioned above, I've got my tripod needs on the big end covered, but I'm also fully intending to pick up something a little more travel friendly, like a Sirui. As far as filters go, I have so much to learn about the rudiments at this point, so seriously, I wouldn't know when and how to use them, at this point, if you paid me to tell you how. But I'll get there, and when I do, I'll get what my level of knowledge and talent deem proper. (Obviously, the Lee, or sim).

Thank you, and best wishes.
07-24-2018, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
It is big and heavy. it is not a walk about lens, ...
Aaw, c'mon. It's not that heavy! Along with the DFA 28-105 and perhaps a small prime, it forms my international travel kit with the K1. It's great for architecture. It is definitely one of my "walk about lenses".

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 07-26-2018 at 03:48 PM.
07-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Geez, Billy, in the time it took you to compose the original post, you could've rented the lens to see for yourself!

it sounds like a good fit for you and worth the investment, however.

good luck
07-25-2018, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Geez, Billy, in the time it took you to compose the original post, you could've rented the lens to see for yourself!

it sounds like a good fit for you and worth the investment, however.

good luck
And miss out on all this great chittter chatter? I guess, but I honestly purchased an Irix 15, and they sent a canon ver., lucky me, of course I sent it back, but then I got to thinkin...
07-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BillyCooper Quote
And miss out on all this great chittter chatter? I guess, but I honestly purchased an Irix 15, and they sent a canon ver., lucky me, of course I sent it back, but then I got to thinkin...
The Irix 15 Blackstone is a nice lens. Just not in the same league as the 15-30. I have it, along with a 100mm filter system. It has very nice color and contrast. I just use the hyper focal scale and fire away. Once I get my boys through college, I'll get what I want.
Terry
07-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #30

Stunning images. It would seem the lens would be worth it but it worth the price tag or wait?

Buy it. It is perfect for your needs. Don't let my paltry efforts dissuade you.

Architecture:

Landscape:

Architecture in a landscape

Astro (not my thing, so I'm sure this is a poor example)