Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #31

The 15-30 is my go to for astro! Check my ig @luchojtorres all my astro shots are there! Love the lens.

09-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyCooper Quote
After 3 weeks of grinding through the articles and posts, I still find myself not pulling the trigger on this allegedly great lens. Even though my index has a cramp, and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger due to the spasms I'm getting, in a good way, here goes one final good faith, last chance plea to give anyone the chance to tell me "why not". (Thanks in Advance)

My Requirements: A) I design homes for a living, so yes, Architecture for my clients, my website, my soul...
B) I commune with nature as a first line of defense against the rising tide of everything, so yes, Landscape, near and far,
steelhead rivers that are tribs of the mighty columbia...and close focus flowers and hero shots of dime bright steelheads!
(abstracted) rose buds of which some will end up printed large, and esp., sources for watercolors yet to come.
C) ASTRO (what else is there to say, other than there are so many comps other than just the milky way behind that dark steeple,
band i will pursue those too.)

My big issue; I read today, moments before i was ready to purchase, that this lens is actually a purist architectural lens, first. (all i could see in my mind then was lines, perspective, lines..... This from an "expert" (why do peeps love spoiling a party?)

What I want: A great lens that will give great results, in a broad spectrum within those three range of uses (ALA), within it's realistic range of strengths (knowing its weaknesses and working within those as creative constraints.)

My stuff today: K1 ii, d fa 100 macro wr, 28-105 wr. (i live in the mojave were sand is airbourn 300 days a years, so its wr, or its a pencil) 80" benro mach 3 4 series with an acratech gp-2. A budget to fill that gap at the wide angle end of my wants. the big t.p. comes later. So im all ready, i just need to know that the 15-30 is my weapon of trifecta flexibility, even though the astro kids are yelling samriko, the purists are whispering "primes," the ls boys are recommending laowo/irix, and i'm holding my head in my hands wondering, am i about to do the right thing, or is the irix bs15 the true all rounder?...

And one last big concern...does or is the 15-30 able to take shots at the short end that ooze character like many of the third party lens (and that question weighs much, as i was an artist before i came back to the capturing of spectral lightwaves.)
Well, thats my rubics cube. I hope someone can help convince me to take that plunge (or not/why), and i promise to buy you a pint of your favorite, or perhaps even one dry, stirred, never shaken...

(and remember, contrarians are welcome here)

Thanks to all, along with my best,
Bill
I just bought the lens last month. Yes it's Big. Yes it's Expensive. Put it on My K1 Mk II and shot 2 car shows in a 3 week span.
At 15mm the cars are a bit elongated but not in an unpleasant way. 18mm & above the results were stunning!
Money well spent in my view.
Going to Yellowstone next week and can't wait to try it out.
09-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Aaw, c'mon. It's not that heavy!
I envy anyone who doesn't find the DFA 15-30 too heavy. You are truly fortunate. It's a great lens, but it's four times heavier than my FA 20-35, and that's definitely too heavy for me.
09-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I envy anyone who doesn't find the DFA 15-30 too heavy. You are truly fortunate. It's a great lens, but it's four times heavier than my FA 20-35, and that's definitely too heavy for me.
It depends on your use case.

When I'm hiking 15 miles with my camera strapped to my chest ready for lots of photos as I walk, yes, it's too heavy and I'm likely using the more versatile 28-105 anyway. If I'm hiking that same distance for tripod-mounted ultrawide photos at specific scenic spots, then the 15-30 and camera are in my backpack most of the time and it's not too heavy.

Yes, I wish the lens was lighter, but that would mean sacrificing f2.8 (good for astro landscapes) or image quality. Many of us would like to see Pentax release a compact ultrawide FF, maybe an update to the discontinued 20mm, or something like a brand new 15-30 f5.6 if that's optically possible.