Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2018, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I apologize as apparently I used an American colloquialism with the brass ring mention. Basically it means "reach for the best" or "go for broke", etc.

My thought was that a 28mm prime would be nice as it on a full frame provides a slightly wider field of view than your 20-40 Ltd. can provide on a crop body. In the small amount of time I've spent using a film camera lately, I've really liked the field of view that a 28mm lens provides, as it's definitely wide but not extreme. It's a great "people, close" focal length in my book. I hope that there's a new, decent full-frame 28 in k-mount land soon with AF and compact dimensions & weight. Until then, there's lots of nice options from over the years.
Ah... thanks for clearing that up for me

Yeah, I already have a 24 and 28mm old glass, the issue is focusing quickly in low light (therefore really want to be using f2.8), I find wider focal lengths really tricky to nail unlike a something longer like a 85mm. So AF was a must on the list.

So yeah, ended up with the HD DA 35 Macro, I couldn't wait till the morning to snap in daylight so you'll have to contend with this test shot

Minimal processing done here, zero sharpening, zero clarity boosting, just some exposure tweaking and vignetting.
Pentax KP, 1/20th, f2.8, ISO 400

07-26-2018, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought the general line was that wider angle lenses were easier to manually focus than narrower. It seemed to be the case for myself as well.

I never really got into a groove with 35mm primes on crop. I've got the DA 35 f2.4 and it's just not quite what I want; not tight enough to isolate a subject well, not wide enough to show a whole scene. Give me a 28 or a 50 (or a good 24!). I have the same issues with a 50mm prime on full frame and rather like 35's there instead.

That said, it seems to be working for you, and no one can say that the DA 35 Ltd. isn't a great lens.
07-26-2018, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Brass ring? What? You kinda lost me here (that's ok.. I'm easily lost).
here is the story, as I understanding it, behind the saying, " go for the brass ring " or " grab the bass ring "

Brass ring - Wikipedia

in real life:

the child/rider would lean out and attempt to grab it as they went by and if successful, got rewarded.

it came to mean:

"Grabbing the brass ring" or getting a "shot at the brass ring" also means striving for the highest prize, or living life to the fullest. It is not clear when the phrase came into wide use but has been found in dictionaries as far back as the late 19th century.[4][5]