Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 04:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm now seriously thinking about the Irix 15mm Firefly/Blackstone... I think I shall make a new thread about it, pertaining to some specific focusing questions...

07-25-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To the OP, as mentioned I do a lot of event photography... many of the photos are taken at the back stage during live performance and/or rehearsal as well. And often times, there is not a whole lot of room to move around to take the shots of large group of people. Personally, I find the DA20-40 and K-1 combination to be a great tool to have. However, I would avoid using 20-24 focal lengths if I want to keep the original aspect ratio (3x2).. If I don't care about keeping the original 3x2 format, I can still use the wide end at 20mm and then crop the image getting rid of vignetting corners (resulting in wider aspect ratio). So, it all worked out IMHO. As in this example, I am virtually pinned in the corner at the entrance door to the stage.

With the K-1 it is also very convenient to shoot with the camera held high up (like this shot).

07-25-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #18
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks, I would appreciate that.

Of course the 24-70 is the better choice, it's also 3x the price!

In an ideal world you'd wield a 24-70 and a 70-200, but I don't have $4700 floating around lol.

I just can't see me pulling my 85/1.4 off that much from the K-1. The widest lens I have is a ff 24mm (SMC-Pentax-A 24/2.8), and I find that MF with a wide lens is way harder, I'm kinda thinking that anything getting wide needs AF at an event, so I'm researching my options.
The widest AF lens for APS-C I have is a DA 40 XS, which ironically I get a wider FoV with it sitting on the K-1, but I really want the 85/1.4 on that camera, it leaves the KP with only 40mm, which is the narrow end of the wide spectrum I'm looking for...

Can you whack a Sigma Art 35/1.4 on an APS-C (KP) and get wider? I need to go find that reference chart thing again...

I see the Sigma 17-50/2.8 gets nice attention, but it is only APS-C, I would like to have something interchangeable if possible...
Hi Bruce

I haven't read all the posts yet but would a Tamron 28 - 75 do the trick ?
And its a bit cheaper and seems to be well liked
I thought it was one of the go to's before the DFA came out

Dave
07-25-2018, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you’re carrying a KP why not just use a HD DA21/3.2 Limited for your tight group shots? It’s an exquisite lens on APSc (but vignetteson FF). Your main cam of course is K-1 with 85/1.4 and the KP + DA21 with a sling strap would be nearly weightless on your left hip. You might need to leave space on either edge to crop out distortion of the outer people

07-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I tried the Tokina 20-35 4-5.6, it was pretty good, but my copy was defective, so I ended up returning it. It's very loud during af, so I'd advise against it in quiet environments though. It's probably the cheapest option for wide angles for the system, I got my copy for $130.
07-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you’re carrying a KP why not just use a HD DA21/3.2 Limited for your tight group shots? It’s an exquisite lens on APSc (but vignetteson FF). Your main cam of course is K-1 with 85/1.4 and the KP + DA21 with a sling strap would be nearly weightless on your left hip. You might need to leave space on either edge to crop out distortion of the outer people
I used to have that HD DA 21, didn't gravitate to it much, and then I had the HD DA 15, sold that too. Two reasons, 1, both those lenses are kinda 'landscapey', and whilst they do ok they are soft at the edges and I didn't appreciate the naff star bursts they produce (if I own one again it would be a non HD variant). 2, 21mm is prolly still too wide for what I'm kinda looking form however cropping is necessary (as the sides are too soft for portrait edge to edge), it's also f3.2, could really do with a stop or more light).

Anyway, I'm onto my 3rd HD DA, I chose the HD DA 35mm/2.8 Macro (arriving today).

Here's why;

The 35mm Macro might seem odd, but then if you've done weddings before a macro here or there can be a fantastic addition to the album. A close up of the rings or rims of champagne glasses on a table etc, something that adds a stronger dynamic to the overall event of the day. Currently I have been using and keeping my DFA 100 for that sort of work, and prior to obtaining the 85/1.4 it was also my preferred head and shoulder shooter. But now that I have the 85/1.4 I feel its putting the DFA 100 on the shelf, keeping only for Macro work. I realise that the Macro option on the 35mm means you need to get real close, but I really don't think that's an issue of taking shots of some inanimate rings or glasses, it's only the insects and bugs that appreciate getting snapped from a distance, and that kinda shooting is not a massive priority to me.

So... 35mm is in-between 20-40 and also 24-70, can I make do without the other focal lengths? Well... I'm a fit and able prime shooter so I don't mind moving about a bit to get the framing and composition right. I've also heard its edges are sharper and cleaner than the DA 21 and DA 15, and it does Macros too! Awesum that means I can ferry one less lens around on the day (ie DFA100). In fact... (I thought).. it might even allow for the sale of the DFA and thus save some money (rather than extend my current lens collection), god knows I need the money spent in other directions (more lighting equipment, more backdrops etc).
I also like that teh 35mm Macro is compatible with the K-1, even in FF mode! I've seen images submitted that easily prove this, you just want to have the lens hood retracted, that makes a huge difference, it might mean in non event situations the 35mm will see more action on my K-1!

So... I'm really hoping that basically heading into the wedding I can pretty much cover all shooting scenarios with a KP+35mm Macro and the K-1+85/1.4 and not need to lens swap at all. I do have a Sigma 10-20 (the not so great one), that can work on the KP if I really need that massive group shot, so I think I have enough bases covered.
07-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I also like that teh 35mm Macro is compatible with the K-1, even in FF mode! I've seen images submitted that easily prove this, you just want to have the lens hood retracted
Are you sure, Bruce?

I thought majority opinion was the DA35 can be used very successfully on FF (have done this myself), but not the DA35 Limited Macro.

07-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Are you sure, Bruce?

I thought majority opinion was the DA35 can be used very successfully on FF (have done this myself), but not the DA35 Limited Macro.
Yeah, pretty sure. I did some homework and hunting around to find some submitted images. What I saw was the hood out it was quite bad, huge difference with hood retracted, more akin to a DA 40 XS kinda experience on a FF (and I find that really quite acceptable). Worse case scenario you can crop a bit, but overall you're better off to shoot FF and crop if you must and you'll get something larger than what the crop mode would spit out. I mean it's not FF compatible, I'm not saying it is, but I'm just not as fussy as some when it comes to vignetting at edges. I'm quite surprised to see (for example) that the DA 40 XS is not given FF compatibility status when in reality I can get a huge amount of images out of the thing on my K-1, it's just that it's kinda caught on a extremely mild technicality that excludes it, but if someone was to ask me if the XS is FF compatible I would be more on the side of definitely yes than no, I would just point out that for landscape work perhaps not.
My editing process will always involve some straightening, I prolly drop 5mp from a slight crop and straight of a few images, and with it disappears the real dark corner parts leaving only a mild vignette to deal with, that pp can usually deal with (talking about DA XS here). And then I tend to lightly vignette a lot of my shots purposefully (unless landscape work) so yeah I think it's usable. We'll find out soon! Picking up from the post office at 3pm!
07-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not just go for the brass ring and get a 28mm prime? It would be wider than 20mm on a crop body would give and there's a pile of good options. K 28 f3.5, K 28 f2, M 28 f2, Kiron f2, F 28 f2.8, FA 28 f2.8 to name but a few.
07-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Why not just go for the brass ring and get a 28mm prime? It would be wider than 20mm on a crop body would give and there's a pile of good options. K 28 f3.5, K 28 f2, M 28 f2, Kiron f2, F 28 f2.8, FA 28 f2.8 to name but a few.
Brass ring? What? You kinda lost me here (that's ok.. I'm easily lost).
07-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, pretty sure. I did some homework and hunting around to find some submitted images. What I saw was the hood out it was quite bad, huge difference with hood retracted, more akin to a DA 40 XS kinda experience on a FF (and I find that really quite acceptable). Worse case scenario you can crop a bit, but overall you're better off to shoot FF and crop if you must and you'll get something larger than what the crop mode would spit out. I mean it's not FF compatible, I'm not saying it is, but I'm just not as fussy as some when it comes to vignetting at edges. I'm quite surprised to see (for example) that the DA 40 XS is not given FF compatibility status when in reality I can get a huge amount of images out of the thing on my K-1, it's just that it's kinda caught on a extremely mild technicality that excludes it, but if someone was to ask me if the XS is FF compatible I would be more on the side of definitely yes than no, I would just point out that for landscape work perhaps not.
My editing process will always involve some straightening, I prolly drop 5mp from a slight crop and straight of a few images, and with it disappears the real dark corner parts leaving only a mild vignette to deal with, that pp can usually deal with (talking about DA XS here). And then I tend to lightly vignette a lot of my shots purposefully (unless landscape work) so yeah I think it's usable. We'll find out soon! Picking up from the post office at 3pm!
I have both the 40SX and DA35 and they're fine, but as I understand it, that 35 Macro is not like them.

Anyway, you'll be able to update the Compatibility thread with your samples and conclusions.
07-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have both the 40SX and DA35 and they're fine, but as I understand it, that 35 Macro is not like them.

Anyway, you'll be able to update the Compatibility thread with your samples and conclusions.
Thanks Clackers, I'll let you know. I am doubly sure it's in the same league as the 40SX, unless I had a 'bruce moment' and was confused looking at the standard DA35 (but I'm fairly sure I wasnt).

Check this link out; diglloyd blog: Pentax DA HD Limited 35mm f/2.8 Macro Aperture Series: 'Map' (Pentax K1 SuperRes)

Now the main picture in that image is with hood out, read through the article and find the image with hood retracted, huge difference (even with the hood out its not that bad imo).
07-25-2018, 11:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Just a quick update, took it outside now for some test shots with the K-1, imo it is completely usable (with the hood back), it is in the same kinda league as the DAXS, perhaps a tad more vignetting but not too much. For sure I would never choose the crop mode if equipped with the K-1, I could get more than the 15-16mp that the crop gives, more like 20-25mp if you ask me.
I'm losing light now, but I'll throw in some sample shots later, along with the DA40XS to give some idea of where it sits in relation to that.

But if you click that article I linked earlier and find the picture of the map without the hood, that indeed is an accurate portrayal.

It makes me very happy, if I was out doing a hobby thing and not professional I could easily have it with my K-1, fantastic walk around lens imo, very versatile. Oh and first impressions are very good, this thing is blowing me away far more than the DA 21 or DA 15 ever did :O
07-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a quick update, took it outside now for some test shots with the K-1, imo it is completely usable (with the hood back), it is in the same kinda league as the DAXS, perhaps a tad more vignetting but not too much. For sure I would never choose the crop mode if equipped with the K-1, I could get more than the 15-16mp that the crop gives, more like 20-25mp if you ask me.
I'm losing light now, but I'll throw in some sample shots later, along with the DA40XS to give some idea of where it sits in relation to that.

But if you click that article I linked earlier and find the picture of the map without the hood, that indeed is an accurate portrayal.

It makes me very happy, if I was out doing a hobby thing and not professional I could easily have it with my K-1, fantastic walk around lens imo, very versatile. Oh and first impressions are very good, this thing is blowing me away far more than the DA 21 or DA 15 ever did :O
Because it's got such an outstanding reputation, that's great news.

07-26-2018, 03:29 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I apologize as apparently I used an American colloquialism with the brass ring mention. Basically it means "reach for the best" or "go for broke", etc.

My thought was that a 28mm prime would be nice as it on a full frame provides a slightly wider field of view than your 20-40 Ltd. can provide on a crop body. In the small amount of time I've spent using a film camera lately, I've really liked the field of view that a 28mm lens provides, as it's definitely wide but not extreme. It's a great "people, close" focal length in my book. I hope that there's a new, decent full-frame 28 in k-mount land soon with AF and compact dimensions & weight. Until then, there's lots of nice options from over the years.