Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm not certain this is fungus though, it does look like it could well be dried hardened lubricant. In any case if it is it's likely even cold cream or saliva may remove it..
If the elements have separated and you decide to proceed the stuff you need for regluing is Canada Balsam

I hijacked a thread from 2008 (saving forum space) - I will post pictures of my lens later today. I didn't think that original image was fungus either though, it looked a lot more like lens separation or even coating damage. It's on another website as an example of fungus...I'm not convinced...

06-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Well, the good news is, I got it taken apart, cleaned and back together without any major disaster. Luckily, every element was (almost) touching, and was held together by retaining rings that screwed into each other (whereas my zoom lens had two of these PLUS other elements to deal with). All I had to do was remember the orientation and order of each element, and reverse it after cleaning.

Here is an image from the eBay listing - note that all of the dust (and the mild fungus visible) is underneath the third of six elements, NOT on the outside. This means, it was right in the middle.

I used a mixture of Ammonia and Hydrogen Peroxide, cleaning each element on both sides with cotton wool. I then used PEC pads to clean off any residue and polish just a little. The cleaning went well - all of the little fungus spores (none has grown or taken root) are now gone. The only imperfection left is a little mark towards the center of the glass. It almost looks as though it had been taken apart in the past and dropped, as it kind of looks like a chip, although it cannot be felt when running a finger over it. It could be lens separation...I need to take a look under a microscope. It's small enough to not affect image quality, so I'm not too worried.

Here is an image of it afterwards:
Please excuse the iPhone picture, my gear is in for servicing.

Overall for the $20 or so that I spent on this thing I am VERY pleased with it. A quick cleaning (and bucketloads of luck) was all that was needed! Also, I discovered that cheap rubber plugs (for sink/bathtub) make excellent tools for removing the front ring! As soon as my DSLR gear is back, I'll throw up an example pic!

Last edited by Judah; 06-13-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Grammar
06-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done, looks almost new now
06-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Thanks! I'm rather pleased with the result, and can't wait to try this on my 5D!

(I still can't escape the feeling that I was very lucky that everything works!)

06-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
saliva is the best start and least likely to damage the lens itself (and of course no-one said you have to suck on it saliva ia capable of leaving your mouth )
I here cold cream is a good non destructive as well.
and for stubborn the 50/50 IPA/Peroxide is pretty standard

I'm not certain this is fungus though, it does look like it could well be dried hardened lubricant. In any case if it is it's likely even cold cream or saliva may remove it..
If the elements have separated and you decide to proceed the stuff you need for regluing is Canada Balsam

they sell it here

1/4 POUND CHUNK OF CANADA BALSAM - Surplus Shed
Canada Balsam is a really a thing of the past. I would never recommend to use it for cementing a lens today, as it needs weeks to cure! I messed with that stuff in the distant past, when glueing together probe glasses for microscopy - never again.

Modern UV cureable lens glue is a much better choice and easily obtainable: Norland Optical Adhesives | Edmund Optics

There are other sources as well, if you don't want to buy at Edmund's.

Ben
06-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Canada Balsam is a really a thing of the past. I would never recommend to use it for cementing a lens today, as it needs weeks to cure! I messed with that stuff in the distant past, when glueing together probe glasses for microscopy - never again.

Modern UV cureable lens glue is a much better choice and easily obtainable: Norland Optical Adhesives | Edmund Optics

There are other sources as well, if you don't want to buy at Edmund's.

Ben
the Canada balsam is way cheaper and lasts forever. the uv stuff stale dates in about 4 months and costs a bomb. If i was working on salvaging a cheap old lens i think i'd just try playing with the stuff they used originally. Really slow process though - I imagine a humidity controlled warmer (not too warm environment would speed it somewhat (say a warm closet with a big bowl of dessicant or rice)

the main issue with the Norland is getting the right refractive index, and the cost of course. the 1 oz for $30 is more than I spend to buy many lenses
06-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the Canada balsam is way cheaper and lasts forever. the uv stuff stale dates in about 4 months and costs a bomb. If i was working on salvaging a cheap old lens i think i'd just try playing with the stuff they used originally. Really slow process though - I imagine a humidity controlled warmer (not too warm environment would speed it somewhat (say a warm closet with a big bowl of dessicant or rice)

the main issue with the Norland is getting the right refractive index, and the cost of course. the 1 oz for $30 is more than I spend to buy many lenses
You are sure right about the merrits of Canada Balsam, which comes cheap. But the useage of a modern uv-cureable glue is much easier and much less of a mess. So, this is my personally preferred method. But ofcourse this is an individual choice.

Ben