Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2018, 10:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is how I'd think about it. The K-3 is more of a long term keeper if you are planning on getting more lenses in the next couple of years. However, the Sigma 17-50mm is a lens you'll probably keep for the long term, so that makes more sense if you're planning on replacing the K-S2 in a few years.

Have you looked at this site to compare features and specs between the two models?
Pentax K-S2 vs Pentax K-3 Detailed Comparison

07-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yes the K-3
07-22-2018, 11:45 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. I have K-S2, and I used to consider upgrade to K-3 I or II. I asked forum members whether such upgrade would affect image quality, and the answer was 'you will not see significant difference'. 2. Average body with good lens will produce better results than good body with average lens.
07-23-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. I think all of us when we were new to Pentax went through the same issue. When I decided to purchase a DSLR it came down to 3 models the K-S2, K-70 andthe K-3 II. The K-S2 and K-70 are very similar physically. But feature wise the K-70 is leaps and bounds beyond the K-S2 and they both have articulating screens.

The K-3’s are flagships which means you are getting superior build quality. Also additional features such as dual sd card slots and an optional battery grip. They also have a better auto-focus system. Personally it was the dual sd cards and battery grip that sold me on the K-3 II. I can’t count the number of times I left the sd card in my computer after downloading images. Thank god for the second card. Then the battery grip is a great feature especially when using heavier lenses though it is always on my camera regardless of what lens I am shooting.

My recommendation would be the K-3. Also you should look at The K-70 instead of the K-S2. You should make your choice based on the camera bodies features and not which lens is attached because it is only one lens that can be easily replaced or upgraded. Also as many have said lenses are very important as you grow your skills. The 17-50 is a very good lens which I own but there are many people who swear by the 18-55 kit lens. But if I were you I would look for a body with the 18-135 which is a great walk around lens.

07-23-2018, 04:22 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
1. I have K-S2, and I used to consider upgrade to K-3 I or II. I asked forum members whether such upgrade would affect image quality, and the answer was 'you will not see significant difference'. 2. Average body with good lens will produce better results than good body with average lens.
knowledge, skill and experience

those factors may make you a better photographer regardless of your equipment

check out what some photographers choose to use to capture their images

The Six-Megapixel Club - Page 40 - PentaxForums.com

having the " latest and brightest " equipment may not make the difference in photography
07-23-2018, 04:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

You can get a better deal. Used 17-50s are pretty cheap these days. The Sigma 17-70 is also nice, but the Pentax 18-135 is WR, and quite versatile. Either camera will give great images. K3 is more durable, K-S2 has a flippy screen.

The cheapest path will probably be a KS2 and 18-135. A nice setup.
07-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for the KS2. The flippy screen has been vital in some of the pictures I've taken. The ability to hold the camera above your head and correctly frame a shot enables you to see over a crowd. The ability to hold the camera down by your knees and frame a shot has saved my back many a time.

07-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Both are good deals. But I would go for the K-3 + 18-55mm and take the difference in prices to buy a 50mm 1.8.

Last edited by CarlJF; 07-23-2018 at 06:40 AM.
07-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #24
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
2. Average body with good lens will produce better results than good body with average lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
The flippy screen has been vital in some of the pictures I've taken.
Couldn't agree more! While the K-3 is flagship and has excellent features, the K-S2 is cheaper, comes with a better lens, and actually has some great features that the K-3 doesn't such as the articulating screen and built-in WiFi.

It really comes down to how much you want to spend and how serious of an investment this will be for you!
07-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-S2 better lens, K-3 better body.

My current K-3 shutter count it 117,036. 16,000 is like almost brand new.
07-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #26
Forum Member

I've had a K-50 - currently have a K-70 and a K-3ii - and my girlfriend has a K-3. I would pick the K-3, personally, because of the better camera build-quality and higher sensor resolution, if for no other reasons. I don't know if the K-S2 is going to be prone to the aperture and shutter problems that plagued my K-50, but that is the main reason that I shied away from it. That said, my K-70 seems to be more "solid" than the K-50, and the K-S2 seems to have much the same feel as the K-70. I'd still go for the K-3, though - it's just a better-built camera from the get-go!!!
07-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
having the " latest and brightest " equipment may not make the difference in photography
Definitely - and this is the question OP will have to face soon after acquiring a camera.
07-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Loads of good replies, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.
07-24-2018, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #29

Aside from the flip out LCD, there are no features on the KS2 which aren't either native, improved, or easily added in the K3. The only feature youd have to add is wifi, if you need it, and with the price of Toshiba wifi SD cards these days, you could add wifi to a K3 for about $15 more than a plain SD card of equal capacity.

Unless you really want an articulating LCD, the K3 is the better buy. Grab a good used 18-135WR and you'll be well heeled to learn the use of a DSLR. You could even sell the 18-55 and add a little cash and get a nice DA 50mm or DA 35mm prime to add to your kit.

I started with a K30 in 2012, and picked up a K3 in 2016. While I love my K30, the K3 is more solid in my hands and more intuitive to control on the fly. I think youd be well served with either purchase, in the short term, but in the longer term, the K3 is a far better value and a more capable platform on which to build your skills.