Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 04:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Event Shooting With An Irix 15mm (On APS-C No Less)?

I'm currently on the lookout for a new wide angle lens, for multiple reasons, and the Irix 15mm has come up as a sure contender. For those that know me should know by now that I have been shooting almost exclusively Manual Focus with my Samyang 85/1.4 (+Tenpa 1.22 to boot) as well as using other MF glass. I am basically getting better at it, but I have come to the following conclusion;

- On lenses with a longer focal length such as the 85/1.4, it is significantly easier to nail focus, either via the OVF (with some aid from the Tenpa) or LV
- On wider angle lenses, such as my SMC Pentax-A 24/2.8, nailing focus is harder, almost impossible unless stopping down or just going to infinity and getting enough distance between you and your subject (sometimes too much).

Now the 15mm Irix would I'm sure fall onto the latter, which leads me to believe it's the wrong choice. I would make plenty use of it in my landscape work, however I don't much like the idea of using Hyperfocal apertures to get a group shot in a low light venue. I would want to take full advantage of the sharpness it has at f2.4, but just how difficult is that going to be to nail focus...

On an KP the FoV would be more equivalent to a 23mm, so slightly narrower but still very acceptable, I'm wondering if it is actually in this regard easier?

I can totally see myself rocking an event with the K-1 paired with the Samyang 85/1.4, a KP with an Irix 15mm, rocking MF all the way, but then also using the Irix on the 15mm for those landscape shots at events and just landscape work in general.

But is this a terrible idea? I have full confidence in nailing portrait and couple shots with the 85/1.4, it's just when I run out of room to back up in that will demand the Irix 15mm (and the lighting is not so great so I wouldn't want any of that f8 stuff), how am I going to fare?

Irix fans/users, please chime in!

TIA!

Bruce

07-23-2018, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can get reasonable photos of groups of people at 15mm and I see wide angle shots in the news often enough. Just need to be extra careful at how you tilt the camera to control perspective distortion. But other than that I've done events (I think it was a poster session) with a 15mm on apsc, it was the Pentax limited.
edit: about using manual focus, do you need large prints from this? For smaller (newspaper and web size) you should be able to use zone focus, and of course actually focusing on the subject will be even better.

Last edited by aaacb; 07-23-2018 at 05:19 AM.
07-23-2018, 05:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
You can get reasonable photos of groups of people at 15mm and I see wide angle shots in the news often enough. Just need to be extra careful at how you tilt the camera to control perspective distortion. But other than that I've done events (I think it was a poster session) with a 15mm on apsc, it was the Pentax limited.
edit: about using manual focus, do you need large prints from this? For smaller (newspaper and web size) you should be able to use zone focus, and of course actually focusing on the subject will be even better.
Yeah printing is definitely a possibility.

I know I like this lens, I've seen enough of it to want it anyway (eventually) for my fullframe. But right now I can't justify my funds for something purely landscape based unless it can also be used a fair bit with a high degree of success in events, and with my camera line up it would sit on a KP. I am curious to know if I could manage focus on shots shooting wide open with it, or if that is going to be extremeley difficult (because I find the SMC Pentax-A 24/2.8 very hard to nail focus on either camera... Landscape is different, tripod, LV, all the time in the world (and typically you're F8 or higher and therefore just throw into infinity focus...
07-23-2018, 01:59 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I use the Samyang 14mm f2.8 on aps-c, and for shots with people then I don't even try at wider apertures than F6.7. I don't think you could nail eye focusing through the viewfinder, and Live View with magnification is fairly impractical and too slow for portraits. These challenges will be even more on Full Frame I feel.

So for low light wide aperture shooting I think any lens of this type is out, at least for professional work. If you're using flash and can shoot at F8 then it's more viable, otherwise I think an autofocus lens will be necessary for reliable well focussed people shots at ultra wide angles.

07-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I use the Samyang 14mm f2.8 on aps-c, and for shots with people then I don't even try at wider apertures than F6.7. I don't think you could nail eye focusing through the viewfinder, and Live View with magnification is fairly impractical and too slow for portraits. These challenges will be even more on Full Frame I feel.

So for low light wide aperture shooting I think any lens of this type is out, at least for professional work. If you're using flash and can shoot at F8 then it's more viable, otherwise I think an autofocus lens will be necessary for reliable well focussed people shots at ultra wide angles.
I think you're right.
07-23-2018, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For events, a DA*16-50 would make a lot more sense on the KP.
07-23-2018, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
For events, a DA*16-50 would make a lot more sense on the KP.
Definitely, or a Sigma 17-50, but then Sandy why would I ever choose the sensible logical option... this is me we're talking about after all

07-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I decided to go with the following purchase decision, I just bought a silver HD DA 35mm/2.8 Macro, here's why;

- K-1 with have the Samyang 85/1.4 for those portrait shots.

- When more people add onto the shot and the 85 won't do (and no room to back up in) the KP with 35mm will come out.

- Because the 35mm is a macro, it will allow the sale of the DFA 100 Macro that I own (that doesn't see much action these days due to the arrival of the 85/1.4, thus I'm not adding lenses but rather replacing).

I shall have to continue the search for a UWA for the K-1 another day, but for now feel pretty content with this decision and pairing.

Thanks again!

NB: Even seems to work alright on the K-1! https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/DAP/PentaxK/lenses-35f2_8-aseries-map-lensHoodRe...ml?dglyPT=true
07-23-2018, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Why would I ever choose the sensible logical option... this is me we're talking about after all
Your decision certainly vindicates this statement
07-24-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Irix 15/2.4 on my K-5.
1 https://www.instagram.com/p/BcGFn1qFu8C/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=137scrhitxdud
2 https://www.instagram.com/p/BcoYKv2FKLC/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=puodqs1fdc91
3 https://www.instagram.com/p/BcGd3v2FrMb/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1be3pubkpr0id

On APS-C, it's more of a 20mm which is nice and very manageable. Unfortunately my 14/2.8 took a hit and I haven't been able to send it in for repairs.
Don't use hyperfocal setting. You will need full aperture if it's dark. I would recommend:
• Just estimate the distance and set it on the scale.
• Try measuring with a flexometer (tape measure), too. Maybe you like that technique.
• Another way is to have a flashlight for critical focus.
• Use live view magnification whenever the situation calls for it.
Cheers!
07-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Irix 15/2.4 on my K-5.
1 ???? ???? (???? ????) on Instagram: ?Actitud explosiva @chelocanta en #wartmde?
2 ???? ???? (???? ????) on Instagram: ?@noise_feratu con @atipicaa en @wartmde #wartmde #rapiphero #noiseferatu #torashii?
3 ???? ???? (???? ????) on Instagram: ?#overalls son la pinta @wartmde #wartmde?

On APS-C, it's more of a 20mm which is nice and very manageable. Unfortunately my 14/2.8 took a hit and I haven't been able to send it in for repairs.
Don't use hyperfocal setting. You will need full aperture if it's dark. I would recommend:
• Just estimate the distance and set it on the scale.
• Try measuring with a flexometer (tape measure), too. Maybe you like that technique.
• Another way is to have a flashlight for critical focus.
• Use live view magnification whenever the situation calls for it.
Cheers!
Thanks for the reply