Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Proud new HD DA 35mm/2.8 Macro Owner Here (+ some silly questions)

Just wondering if there are any groups/threads here for this lens, I hope to do a lot of shooting with it

I guess I'm just working my way through all the HD DA's, I've owned the 21mm and 15mm and now this offering

I realise this also has a retractable hood (like the HD DA 15), mounting a UV filter or step up ring was slightly awkward resulting in some vignetting, does anyone know if the 35mm is in the same league of awkwardness? Or are filters a little easier to apply?

Also, has anyone managed successfully to remove the hood? I removed the retractable hood on my Tak 135 (Bayonet), because I tend to prefer a hood thaat won't be easily pushed back in when extended out, how I wish these retractable built in hoods did this on the Ltd lens line up, like a 'pull out and twist to lock' kinda movement

Cheer,

Bruce

07-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because the retractable hood retracts all the way on the DA 35, filters are less of a problem. With circular polarizer filters, however, you have to retract the hood all the way to move them.

Congrats on your new DA 35.
07-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Odd, I never noticed an issue with a UV filter on my DA 15. The one I have on there is this rather tall Hoya item. Makes using a normal pinch cap from current DA lenses easier as it's stood out farther from the lens barrel.
07-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Because the retractable hood retracts all the way on the DA 35, filters are less of a problem. With circular polarizer filters, however, you have to retract the hood all the way to move them.

Congrats on your new DA 35.
Thanks Greg, it was some of your images (taken with the 35) that provided the confidence to push through with the purchase!

With a cpl, you'd typically have a hood retracted anyway tho right? You're just saying that you doubly need to make sure its retracted back otherwise you're not going to be able to adjust the cpl at all, yeah? Makes sense.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Odd, I never noticed an issue with a UV filter on my DA 15. The one I have on there is this rather tall Hoya item. Makes using a normal pinch cap from current DA lenses easier as it's stood out farther from the lens barrel.
When I had my DA 15 I too put a UV filter on it, just for protection purposes, and indeed left the nice lens cap alone and used a pinch one, for speed sakes.

07-24-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here are some threads you might look at

not limited to just the HD version but

Theory on DA 35mm ltd 'greatest lens ever' (?) tag - Page 43 - PentaxForums.com

HD DA 35mm 2.8 limited Macro as Lanscape lens - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

or the SMC or DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited

The DA Limited Club - PentaxForums.com

and there is this thread about primes

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com
07-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Awesome thanks!
07-24-2018, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you have specific questions, I suggest that you look at the user reviews for the HD and send a pm or two

HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I recently picked up an " experienced " SMC Pentax-DA 35 F2.8 macro limited

and there is the " in depth review " of the HD vs. SMC coating on the DA Limiteds you could look at as well

" HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes

Introduction

At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe. . . .

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

07-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations. I think it's a great lens. Hadn't used it for a while so took it to the coast here in Oregon just the other day. Posting photos here and there from that trip. I predict you will not be disappointed.
07-24-2018, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Congratulations to the new lens!

Just checked with my lens: you can push the hood all the way back. Step-up rings and such can be attached as easy as to a lens without inbuild hood.
07-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Funnily enough, my HD DA15 is one lens I've found to be very fussy about filters, specifically because of the hood. Actually, I think it's the black felt lining rather than the hood itself that's the issue. I don't often use any filters on it, but I have a Hoya Slim UV(c) that I leave on it, then remove for shooting as appropriate - which is most of the time, in all honesty
07-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody, good to know!
07-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here are some threads you might look at

not limited to just the HD version but

Theory on DA 35mm ltd 'greatest lens ever' (?) tag - Page 43 - PentaxForums.com...
I'm just a few pages into this thread but it seems a lot of people are a little undecided on this lens being something really special. Already I am seeing a line drawn with some that are blown away by it, and others not overly. Indeed I have seen many non independent sites even talk about this lens (Sony shooters etc) that are using adapters just so they can use it!

Really excited to see mine now, c'mon mr postman! hurry up!
07-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well,

I do know of another thread discussing the Pentax Limiteds:

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 14 - PentaxForums.com
07-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
if you have specific questions, I suggest that you look at the user reviews for the HD and send a pm or two

HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I recently picked up an " experienced " SMC Pentax-DA 35 F2.8 macro limited

and there is the " in depth review " of the HD vs. SMC coating on the DA Limiteds you could look at as well

" HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes

Introduction

At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe. . . .

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Yeah, I have sold the 21 and 15 HD DA's due to being what I felt produced crappy starbursts. These lenses were intended for landscape work, but I'm the kinda guy that likes a good star burst. I know now going into the purchase of a HD DA 35 Macro that it too will produce naff starbursts, but I'm ok with that, this is not really going to be a landscape workhorse (I am yet to really settle on a UWA lens, the search must go on!).
07-25-2018, 12:00 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My most used lens for landscapes is the DA 35 macro & DA 15, with the DA 50 close behind. Ithe 35 also for making pano's and focus stacking. Here is a couple from the 35