Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Exceptional image rendering. I said I will not buy this lens... please help me resist the temptation.

07-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great write up and photos. Fat-Fifty it is!
07-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
So, in conclusion, it isn't a lens for everyone, but I think I'm going to use it a lot.
Thanks a lot for sharing those photographs. I'd have one question: how silent is the lens? If I understood correctly, it doesn't have an aperture lever, so no zippp when switching on the K1?
07-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These real world images will turn LBA thoughts on to a could I, should I trajectory . Even on my phone I can see this lens has something special about it. Nice series.

07-24-2018, 11:44 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Well, the honkin' big new Pentax fifty arrived today, so I spent several hours trying it out. Yes, it is heavy. In fact it's heavy enough that at first I had second thoughts. I was thinking they should call it the Jesus lens because that's what I say when I pick up the camera now. But after a day shooting I really became used to it and had a good time. It's a keeper.

If you click on any of the following images you will go to smugmug where you can see the full sized shot and see exif. I've done some contrast and shadow and exposure adjustments on many, but no color adjustments. Sharpening is Lightroom default. Shot raw with the K1.

Seems to be ideal for people who like to take flower photos. Focuses much closer than most of my older lenses...

Contrast is very high, more than the limiteds. I found myself lowering contrast and boosting shadows more than normal. Should be a great rainy day low contrast light lens.

It passed the stuff on a shelf test...

Cats proved no challenge to this lens as well...

I really like the colors. Fairly neutral but rich, that's my impression...

After I took this boring shot the lady with the cane waited for me, then shook her cane at me and said "I really don't like those things." It's not a subtle lens. You will be noticed. Could be a hostility magnet in some cases if used without care...

But I think I'm going to keep using it for city shots because I like the color and contrast so much...

A self portrait....

It totally failed the hipster in a cafe test. Downright embarrassing next to my iced coffee.

More lovely color...

Heavy crops of course are no problem, provided you focus properly, etc...

Perfect for fields of flowers...

Surprisingly decent bug lens in a pinch. This is a crop, but it does focus much closer than most of my older lenses. My Tamron 28-70 2.8 can get a little tighter, I think.

Contrast is so high that on bright days you might find yourself with too many dark shadows and want to use a less contrasty lens. I had to boost the shadows way up in this shot...

Pretty colors...

A flare test. After I boosted the shadows way up I noticed some on the bottom left. Doesn't look to be an issue...

As for ultimate resolution it's hard to say. I think it's tuned more for contrast and microcontrast. The 43 limited might actually be a tad sharper right in the middle, but this lens is more even across the frame...

Still just love the colors...

These two have no curve or shadow adjustments so you can see the contrast....

Action shots that worked, but there were plenty that didn't. It's not a fast focusing lens. Medium, I would say. And silent.

So, in conclusion, it isn't a lens for everyone, but I think I'm going to use it a lot.
The images look really great. I absolutely love the contrast.
I'm now thinking of selling my 24-70 for this.
07-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The fat fifty is bringing home the bacon.
Full screen on my 27" monitor these look SPECTACULAR.
Can't wait for mine to arrive
07-25-2018, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It totally failed the hipster in a cafe test. Downright embarrassing next to my iced coffee.
Sadly, not for me then

( )

07-25-2018, 12:50 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
please help me resist the temptation.
You know You should buy it
07-25-2018, 01:02 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
New Fat Fifty
I'm glad I've not got one of these, can you imagine the rest of the harem naming her?
07-25-2018, 02:12 AM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely series of images - I especially like the pussy cat lying on the carpet. It really shows off the combination of colour, detail, shallow depth-of-field, quality out-of-focus rendering, and correction.

That is one ferocious, fabulous, fantastic, fine Fat Fifty
07-25-2018, 03:06 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Thank you for nice pictures. Could you do full height and torso portraits at f1.4 and post here? Thank you
07-25-2018, 03:16 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since Pentax Australia has none in stock at the moment, my bank balance is safe for the moment.

On the other hand, I’m a little surprised at your comment about the AF being (I presume, comparatively) slow on this lens. After all the talk about its new ring-motor AF drive, I would have expected it to be fairly quick.
07-25-2018, 03:18 AM   #28

Did it come with the AOC stickers?
07-25-2018, 04:01 AM   #29

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised to hear about the focus speed. Any idea how it compares to the older SDM, maybe like the *55?
07-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Congrats and enjoy!,it looks like you're putting it to good use. keep on posting those good pics.