Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2018, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Images look fantastic ! Silent focus sounds amazing !
The size and weight is undeniably Repulsive....
I don't even have a K-1 and I am kind of excited about this lens because I love well designed gear of any kind and this lens is pretty spiffy! And compared to my Sigma Zoom, it is a lightweight.

07-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I don't even have a K-1 and I am kind of excited about this lens because I love well designed gear of any kind and this lens is pretty spiffy! And compared to my Sigma Zoom, it is a lightweight.
For the $1200 price of this lens.....??? A lightly used K-1 fits easily into your future !
07-25-2018, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

So hard to not want this lens now I have a feeling ill eventually pick one up for myself
07-26-2018, 03:49 AM   #64

I'd like to see some composed portraits with this lens, I think that would be my main use for it....

07-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #65

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
I'd like to see some composed portraits with this lens, I think that would be my main use for it....
We should start seeing it in the hands of more people soon enough, including a few forum members. I'm a little shy about asking strangers, and my wife is out of town.
07-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
We should start seeing it in the hands of more people soon enough, including a few forum members. I'm a little shy about asking strangers, and my wife is out of town.
I have children and grandchildren in town whenever it gets here . . .

I should think I will post some (fairly amateur available light) sample portraits late next week.
07-26-2018, 09:34 AM - 5 Likes   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not take complete ownership of the size and awesomeness and spell it "Phat Fifty", as the cool kids would say? Maybe even the "Phat Phiphty" to conphuse pholks

07-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #68

Wow, your photos look great.
07-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Most interesting thing to me was the sunstar. It is comparable to sharp stylish 35mm macro ltd pattern.
07-26-2018, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

Awesome images. They make the hurt of not being able to afford it so much worse. Thanks for that.
07-26-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

I do not get the hype. If f/1.4 and AF is needed then sure. Otherwise 50mm makro-planar rules the kingdom at 1/2 - 2/3 of the price. And that is native K-mount version. And it weights about half in its FULL METAL JACKET.
07-26-2018, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #72
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I do not get the hype.
What hype? I don't think I've seen any... In fact, as with most Pentax products, we've seen very little publicity about it... at least from Ricoh itself.

If f/1.4 and AF is needed then sure.
Boom! And there you have it. That's a big part of what this lens is about... f/1.4 and AF, with outstanding IQ at all apertures (allegedly - I haven't used it myself, but I'd like to... it looks pretty darned good).

Otherwise 50mm makro-planar rules the kingdom at 1/2 - 2/3 of the price. And that is native K-mount version. And it weights about half in its FULL METAL JACKET.
Whether the Zeiss 50mm Makro-Planar f/2 rules the kingdom is, as you and I have previously discussed on other matters, a highly subjective opinion (consider for a moment the out-of-focus highlights with brighter edges compared to the Pentax lens - some won't mind that, others will). For those situations where MF is practical, and for those that are happy using it (we're all different, right?), I've no doubt there are other lighter-weight (due to simpler optical formula) yet still optically-excellent options than the new Pentax AF lens. Right now, though, I don't see another 50mm f/1.4 AF offering that promises the same level of IQ as this new model. So, if there is indeed some hype that I've missed, I'd guess that's the reason for it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-26-2018 at 03:26 PM.
07-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do not get the hype. If f/1.4 and AF is needed then sure.
Well, that's right. Some Zeiss manual focus, f2 doesn't qualify.

And there is already the FA50 f1.4 and DA*55 f1.4, fine lenses in their own ways, but this thing is a different beast again.
07-26-2018, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

I do not get the hype. If f/1.4 and AF is needed then sure. Otherwise 50mm makro-planar rules the kingdom at 1/2 - 2/3 of the price. And that is native K-mount version. And it weights about half in its FULL METAL JACKET.
Considering F2 has long been the realm of cheap kit 50s, I've never found that spec impressive.

But beyond spec trashing, Pentax definitely had a reason for remaking the FA 50/1.4, otherwise they'd continue making money off of a lens that Ricoh didn't design.
07-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Considering F2 has long been the realm of cheap kit 50s, I've never found that spec impressive.
It's the uniquely useful compromise betwen macro (1:2) and speed (f/2) that makes that spec impressive.

---------- Post added 07-26-18 at 10:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What hype? I don't think I've seen any.
There is this from the Ricoh Japan site:
"it produces extra-sharp, high-contrast images free of flare and ghost images"
which doesn't quite jibe with OP's flare test (image #19).

Of course, if you want such a high degree of correction (15 elements),
that's the small price you have to pay.

Anyway, I think our Finnish friend is referring to the enthusiasm expressed here,
not the official Ricoh publicity.