Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2018, 11:25 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Multi-Coated Super-Takumar f/1.4 (Correct label, rare lens)

Hi guys,

I don't have it in my hands yet, but I snagged this lens as part of a 4 lens lot on Ebay this morning. Has anyone else seen one? I bought the lot only because of this lens. I've looked at thousands of 50mm f/1.4 Takumars and have never seen one labeled this way. I'll take photos for the database once I have the lens. Mr. Gerjan van Oosten says he only saw one once and it was a photo of one in an ad for a Spotmatic II. He's never seen one in the wild. As y'all know, he's the authority when it comes to Takumars.

s-l1600 | Multi-Coated Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Charles Diaz | Flickr

Attached Images

Last edited by chazthebiker; 07-26-2018 at 11:47 AM.
07-26-2018, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on spotting such a rare find.
07-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Congratulations on spotting such a rare find.
I worried all night somebody would grab it. Didn't have the money in the right account and it was closed for site maintenance. I think it might be rare and hopefully somebody can shed some light on this.
07-26-2018, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Is it one of these?

SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

07-26-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Is it a 7 or 8 element lens? Hard to tell from that photo if it's yellowed. Do you have a photo with the location of the
IR mark, or of the rear element?

Neat find.
07-26-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
No. It's the order of the wording that is different.

---------- Post added 07-26-18 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Is it a 7 or 8 element lens? Hard to tell from that photo if it's yellowed. Do you have a photo with the location of the
IR mark, or of the rear element?

Neat find.
Except for the name ring it is the same as the 7 element lenses as far as markings go. Could be the marketing dept. decided to change the word order after issuing a few worded this way? No telling. I already had a 7 element "Super-Takumar" and only got this one due to the name ring. Might not be worth more, but have to admit it is fairly unique.

If this was how "Super-Multi-Coated" was expressed in the beginning it could be there were lenses issued that were marked like this in other focal lengths too. However, I have never seen any on Ebay and I sometimes spend a couple of days at a time just looking at the Asahi Takumar ads (cases, hoods, lenses, etc.) over and over. I have bi-polar so when I am manic... can't help myself.

Last edited by chazthebiker; 07-26-2018 at 03:02 PM.
07-26-2018, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Excellent find. This might be one of those fabled SMC lenses made on the cusp of the super takumar era. Definitely a collectors version!

07-26-2018, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The serial number suggests that it's an early production Super-Multi-Coated. If the model number on the auto/manual switch turns out to be 37902 than that would confirm it. The wording on the name ring is fascinating. Looking forward to hearing more about this one when you receive it.
07-26-2018, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Excellent find. This might be one of those fabled SMC lenses made on the cusp of the super takumar era. Definitely a collectors version!
Interesting. I have a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50/1.4 which is identical to its Super Takumar predecessor w.r.t. the knurled metal focusing ring, but which has the aperture-transmission gear on the back just like the final-run SMC Takumars. Is this the sort of thing you mean?

Or are you talking about those lenses which are rare as rocking horse spit, the ones marked as Super Takumar but with aperture transmission gear and S-M-C coatings?
07-26-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The serial number suggests that it's an early production Super-Multi-Coated. If the model number on the auto/manual switch turns out to be 37902 than that would confirm it. The wording on the name ring is fascinating. Looking forward to hearing more about this one when you receive it.
I cannot make out the complete product code, but the last two numbers are absolutely "02" when I blow it up in photoshop. It should be here next week and we'll know for sure.
Attached Images

07-26-2018, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ll send you some tissue paper to wipe away the rocking horse spit - there indeed is the SMC-type aperture transmission gear and the auto/manual locking pin on the mount. Congratulations!
07-26-2018, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Interesting. I have a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50/1.4 which is identical to its Super Takumar predecessor w.r.t. the knurled metal focusing ring, but which has the aperture-transmission gear on the back just like the final-run SMC Takumars. Is this the sort of thing you mean?

Or are you talking about those lenses which are rare as rocking horse spit, the ones marked as Super Takumar but with aperture transmission gear and S-M-C coatings?
There is the type you mentioned (i.e. Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50/1.4 which is identical to its Super Takumar predecessor w.r.t. the knurled metal focusing ring). Some of the very last Super Takumar's are reported to be 'Super-Multi-Coated' but not labelled as such.

Then there is rocking horse spit! I think this thread is definitely about that kind of lens - I am envious!
07-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #13

Original Poster
Here is further information. Would this lens qualify as a unique model for the database?
Attached Images

07-27-2018, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chazthebiker Quote
Here is further information. Would this lens qualify as a unique model for the database?

If it's a 37802 with the aperture follower and that wording on the name ring then it's certainly very interesting. Presumably using parts from both the 37802 and 37902 models, with the wording suggesting that the final name for the new coating hadn't been decided on yet.

If it's an early 37902 then it's still interesting because of the name ring.

Either way, it's a great find.
07-27-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #15

Nice find. Perhaps an early transition versio between the Super Takumar and the Super Multi Coated Takumar