Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

Macro lens Filters- How to go about them?

Would they be redundant on a macro lens? TIA

07-26-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Certainly not if it's a high end like the popular raynox filters. They are multicoated and a quick search around the web shows you what kind of awesome results you can get.
Other ways of getting more magnification from your macro lens include:
• A teleconverter. A 1.4x turns your 1:1 macro into a 1.4:1 one. Tip: It preserves your focusing distance.
• Extension tubes.
Depending on the model, you either lose automatic aperture control, lens information to the camera, autofocusing, or all of them.
Keep in mind all of these cause light loss, but some are more versatile than others.
If your macro is well corrected with a floating lens element, all of these can potentially throw off the distortion and corrections. For critical work, do tests beforehand.

07-26-2018, 11:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Certainly not if it's a high end like the popular raynox filters. They are multicoated and a quick search around the web shows you what kind of awesome results you can get.
Other ways of getting more magnification from your macro lens include:
• A teleconverter. A 1.4x turns your 1:1 macro into a 1.4:1 one. Tip: It preserves your focusing distance.
• Extension tubes.
Depending on the model, you either lose automatic aperture control, lens information to the camera, autofocusing, or all of them.
Keep in mind all of these cause light loss, but some are more versatile than others.
If your macro is well corrected with a floating lens element, all of these can potentially throw off the distortion and corrections. For critical work, do tests beforehand.
I don't think there is a ff tc available, and not too keen on ext tubes. 100mm 2.8 macro is my target lens, it has a 49mm front diameter so anything that would fit it would be in consideration.
07-26-2018, 11:55 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got the 100mm WR 2.8, and the Raynox DC-250. It's a good combination to be able to get 2:1.

Here's a photo of my own eye that i did with that combination...

Took a lot of tries as i was getting blinded from the macro ring light :P
but i like this one since you can see the reflection of the raynox.

07-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I've got the 100mm WR 2.8, and the Raynox DC-250. It's a good combination to be able to get 2:1.

Here's a photo of my own eye that i did with that combination...

Took a lot of tries as i was getting blinded from the macro ring light :P
but i like this one since you can see the reflection of the raynox.
this is nice I mean really nice.
07-27-2018, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
I don't think there is a ff tc available, and not too keen on ext tubes. 100mm 2.8 macro is my target lens, it has a 49mm front diameter so anything that would fit it would be in consideration.
I have experimented with the Raynox on my 180mm Voigtlander which has a 49mm filter thread. The pinch-attach device that comes with the Raynox is designed to fit 52mm and larger filter threads. I purchased a 49mm to 46mm step down ring, because the rear thread of a Raynox is 46mm.

The Raynox are almost revolutionary. They provide startling IQ on a very wide variety of lenses both SFL and zoom. I've had better results with them than with my collection of Nikon & Canon achromatic close-up filters.