QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not in the OP's budget.
Missed that, Mea Culpa.

07-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'd save up for a good 300mm prime (F*, FA*, or DA* 300mm) and not replace that zoom with another zoom that will just frustrate you at 300mm...
With patience a used FA*300/4.5 can be found in the $600 range. *f/2.8 lenses are significantly more expensive and the F* versions front elements have tended to become brittle at their age.
07-27-2018, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

The A-400 is a great recommendation.

A couple of examples.

It was my goto long lens for a couple years. The manual focus is smooth and easy to use, with a long enough play to make precise focussing relatively easy.
07-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have a pretty good lens at 300mm now,
For $300 there is little to nothing you can do to improve on it for birds.
Save up your money for the bigger lens, 150-450, or a Bigma, DA300 w/1.4 converter also in the same range
You are looking at minimum $1,500 or so to get into serious birding glass.

07-28-2018, 06:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Back in the film days, the Novoflex 600mm was the weapon glass of choice for birding.

Not sure if one is within your budget, they are becoming collectible but I have seen them go for cheap. Also, the trigger focus is very much an acquired taste.
07-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Back in the film days, the Novoflex 600mm was the weapon glass of choice for birding.

Not sure if one is within your budget, they are becoming collectible but I have seen them go for cheap. Also, the trigger focus is very much an acquired taste.
Well now I know what I want for Christmas!

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 03:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I would recommend you consider spending some money and rent some lenses so you can do your own testing before buying anything

I have successfully used LensRentals.com which I believe is from Cordova TN

there are other companies but I haven't used them

then if you are interested in an " experienced " lens check out the listings by forum members in the market place " buy/sell "

have you seen the section of the forum which has the reviews of lenses - " Lenses "

good luck

Good tip to do the rentals, I've thought about that for before I pony up the big bucks. I have seen the reviews, and have spent hours on there. I posted this more hoping that there would be people who've had both the lens I have and another I might consider. Always good to here from one who's had their hands on both than two different people who have only seen one or the other.

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 03:20 PM ----------

Have you considered manual focus lenses? My 30 year old SMC Pentax A 400mm f/5.6 has served my well with both film and digital. You should be able to find one within your budget.
I've thought about it, but my manually focusing is not the best. I have only had the slightest of practice. I've kept my eyes open at second hand shops, craigslist and others for a manual for cheap, even picked up some on ebay, but nothing that compared to my existing AF lens.

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 03:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think the 55-300 is probably the "best" you'll be able to do. The next jump up is the 150-450 which costs much more money. Perhaps you would be best served saving that $300 and applying to the 150-450 later. The 150-450 is a stellar lens, worth every penny and pound.

You could also try a 1.4x or 2.0x tele-converter with your current setup ... but a good one of those may end up costing you the same $300 + a dip in image quality. You might as well just crop your images.

Alternatively, you could jump to u4/3. A used Lumix 100-300 lens is about $350 + a used Olympus M5 or M10 is about $300. That $750 will give you an equivalent focal length of 600mm in full frame terms. I have that lens and it's a pretty good setup. It won't match the 150-450 but it also doesn't cost the same.
Interesting suggestions. I've wondered about the tele-converter, even just using one with my 50-135. I hadn't thought about going to a 4/3. I think for $750, I might just get a DA * 65-250. Albeit a much smaller lens, I'd probably get more use out of it overall, and wouldn't have to carry an extra body on vacations. I'm not quite ready to ditch my K-3 setup.

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
As others have said, the 55-300 is a very good lens for beginner photography. Since you have a K-3 I would recommend the PLM version especially if you intend to use it for photographing birds. I have had the DA 55-300 version and sold it, I went for the newer WR version but still found the autofocus too slow and too noisy for photographing birds. The PLM version which I bought 2 years ago gives much faster and completely silent autofocus which has helped me considerably in bird/wildlife photography. If you can handle the extra cost for the PLM version, it is well worth it. I was considering this same question two years ago and my birding kit is the 55-300 PLM and last year I added a used DA*300 and the 1.4 TC which ups my reach to 420mm. You can start with the 55-300 and add something else later.
The more I read, I may end up doing just that.

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 03:31 PM ----------

Thanks for all that replies everyone. You've been very helpful. I have much to think about. I have a Hawaii trip coming up and I hope to make a move before then, unless I decide to stay with what I have!
07-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The A-400 is a great recommendation.

A couple of examples.

It was my goto long lens for a couple years. The manual focus is smooth and easy to use, with a long enough play to make precise focussing relatively easy.
Very pretty.
Terry

07-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
Interesting suggestions. I've wondered about the tele-converter, even just using one with my 50-135. I hadn't thought about going to a 4/3. I think for $750, I might just get a DA * 65-250. Albeit a much smaller lens, I'd probably get more use out of it overall, and wouldn't have to carry an extra body on vacations. I'm not quite ready to ditch my K-3 setup.
MY bord orages tend tp be 10-15 feet away , and the DA* 60-250 focus breaths heavily, to the point where at that range, it might not be any better than your 50-135.

But here's the thing, I cropped this DA*60-250 image to 3900 wide and 9MP.
The resultant image is razor sharp on a K-1. The DA*60-250 gives you the ability to make up for lack of reach through cropping.

And it also plays very nicely with the 1.4 TC.
07-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #24

Woah... that would be a fun lens to take through airport security!

For the OP, if you are after a general purpose tele I’d suggest stretching for the 55-300 PLM - good optics and snappy AF, even if it is slow at the long end (should be fine for birds in sunny daylight). Otherwise just keep saving - the DA* 300 + 1.4 TC is a popular combo that can be done second hand.
07-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'd save up for a good 300mm prime (F*, FA*, or DA* 300mm) and not replace that zoom with another zoom that will just frustrate you at 300mm...
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
If you can get a used 300mm, that's what you really want for birding.
Here's the voice of experience! I'd agree. I don't think there's much to gain in getting another screw-driven 55-300. The DA-L 55-300 has good resolution at 300mm for a consumer zoom, but there's no comparison when you get one of the good primes that PBF mentioned. The 50-135 might have spoiled you for consumer lenses!