Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 or Pentax DA* 55mm 1.4

Dear pentaxians,

I want to further reduce and consolidate my lens line up. I'm completely satisfied and happy with my 15 ltd, 20-40 ltd and Da* 50-135.
I'll be selling my 35 macro ltd, K 50mm and Samyang 85 because I don't use them much.
I want a fast, usable wide open lens and have narrowed to those in the thread title.

My main use for it will be portraiture and artistic thin depth of field pictures. I know the 55mm being longer is natural choice, but at the same time, I'm so pleased with the portraits I've been shooting with the 50-135 that somehow overlap.
My just as fabulous 20-40 is F4.0 at 35mm as max aperture, so here the Sigma looks more interesting, even if 35mm isn't a traditional portrait lenght.

So.... Sigma is arguably sharper and better corrected for CAs, the Pentax is WR and cheaper.

Which one do you think I'm going to use more and fita better into my line up?

Thanks,

Gianclaudio

07-28-2018, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a non-rational point of view ... support Pentax, not the company that ditched them
07-28-2018, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I think it's curious you're worrying about the 55 overlapping, but not the 35. Just to be clear, that's a FF lens and you seem to be shooting APS-C. The 30 DC would be more appropriate than the 35 DG (FF).
Now to the point. They are two totally different beasts. They are 50 and 80 mm equivalent on FF. I think it comes down to what FOV is more useful to your style of photography.
I would go with the 55 since it has weather sealing and proven better construction than any sigma.

07-28-2018, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the bokeh of the 35mm. It does work for portraits on crop, but I guess it will depend on the shooting style you prefer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

That Sigma 35mm 1.4 is on my wish list for a long time now, and I will have it some day. Great focal length both on FF or APS-C, fast, sharp, what more could anyone want
07-28-2018, 12:42 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

55 is WR, so there’s that.

I’d get the 55 and an old used Sigma 30/1.4.

Or split the difference and get the FA43
07-28-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the DA 55 but haven't used the Sigma 35. One thing I noticed is the Sigma is near twice the weight of the Pentax. I don't know about the difference in physical size.

07-28-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
pxt

I use 77/1.8 limited and I can recommended it for portrait. On K3 II is noisy, sometimes AF catch focus 2-4 sec, but what is crazy it is my Master for few mounths old kids shooting. Sharp from 1.8, intetesting bokeh. Sometimes make purple color on extreme contrast edges. I use before 50/1.7 M for portrait and as primary lens. Longer lend get me more pleasure. Easier is isolate subject, but you have to get min 80cm space to target what is disadvantage indoor. F1.8 gets you lower ISO if is shadow. 77 is small and compactivity makes them good for traveling and longer use like few hours. Weight makes difference fx when you walk in Mountain and take portrait your girlfriend

I heard that 55 has problem with af motor failers.
07-28-2018, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I had the Sigma 35mm F1.4 when I had the K3ii. Wonderful lens but it didn't get as much work as the FA 43mm F1.9. When I needed money to pay for my K1, I sold the Sigma.

I think you would love the Sigma for artistic shots, like still life shots and it is also very good for cityscapes and landscapes. On APS-c, the Sigma is good for group portraits and environmental portraits but really too wide for most portrait work. I think you would get more out of the 55mm for portraits.
07-28-2018, 04:10 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both lenses, but use them mainly on the K-1.

The Sigma is definitely sharper wide open, and the bokeh rendering is more uniformly pleasing. If you can nail focus (and it is a bit hit and miss in that regard) it really shines when you stay close to your subject - so for wider portraits on a crop body I reckon it will be great, but for landscapes, not so much. It is BIG, and HEAVY, and not weather sealed. I'm still not sure I will keep it as I love the rendering of my FA31 more.

The DA*55 is relatively tiny and light, and has AW sealing. It does have a bit of soft focus LoCA glow wide open, but I actually quite like that for portraiture. It cleans up before f/2.0 so I see it as a compliment, rather than a competitor to the DA*50-135. Beyond portraiture, it is a brilliant landscape lens, with wonderful resolution and micro-contrast on distant features. It has served well for over two years as my default nifty fifty on the K-1, and for three years before that on my crop bodies. With the DFA*50 on the way it will probably be relegated back to crop duties, but it's still a keeper.
07-28-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
Guys, thank you all for your answers, you're wonderful! I really appreciate your opinions on this.

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I think it's curious you're worrying about the 55 overlapping, but not the 35. Just to be clear, that's a FF lens and you seem to be shooting APS-C. The 30 DC would be more appropriate than the 35 DG (FF)
Because the 50-135 is already a very, very fine portrait lens, covering that focal lenght. Still of course, I'm looking for something to be used at f2.0 or even wider.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
55 is WR, so there’s that.
I’d get the 55 and an old used Sigma 30/1.4.
Or split the difference and get the FA43
Love your suggestion, but I'm trying to keep my lens line up as small as possibly; so just willing to buy one lens. Have thought many times about the 43 ltd, but somehow CA's and other old tech related stuff keeps me back. That's one of the reason I'm going to sell my 35mm ltd and keep the 20-40 ltd, as it handles CAs and flare so much better that I'm not looking back.

Still such a beautiful lens that 43mm, isn't?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I have the DA 55 but haven't used the Sigma 35. One thing I noticed is the Sigma is near twice the weight of the Pentax. I don't know about the difference in physical size.
No problem about size and weight so much, is not going to use a walkaround lens, but as specific stuff like group/enviromental portraits and some product pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
I use 77/1.8 limited and I can recommended it for portrait. On K3 II is noisy, sometimes AF catch focus 2-4 sec, but what is crazy it is my Master for few mounths old kids shooting. Sharp from 1.8, intetesting bokeh. Sometimes make purple color on extreme contrast edges. I use before 50/1.7 M for portrait and as primary lens. Longer lend get me more pleasure. Easier is isolate subject, but you have to get min 80cm space to target what is disadvantage indoor. F1.8 gets you lower ISO if is shadow. 77 is small and compactivity makes them good for traveling and longer use like few hours. Weight makes difference fx when you walk in Mountain and take portrait your girlfriend

I heard that 55 has problem with af motor failers.
The portraits I've seen with the 77 are about the nicest I've ever seem. I don't have the slightest doubt about its capabilities...but I'm looking for something a bit shorter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
I had the Sigma 35mm F1.4 when I had the K3ii. Wonderful lens but it didn't get as much work as the FA 43mm F1.9.
Why did you end liking the 43 ltd more?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
With the DFA*50 on the way it will probably be relegated back to crop duties, but it's still a keeper.
That DFA*50 just keeps messing with my head......perhaps time to wait, save some funds and call it a day.
07-28-2018, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

How about the FA 35 f/2? Stellar optic. Modest price. Perhaps the FA 31 Ltd.?
07-28-2018, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Think about this, you can buy the 43 used, and sell it along without losing any money if you don’t love it.
07-31-2018, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #14

Sigma 35mm Art wins for bokeh and a one lens situation out of those two BUT as Sandy mentioned, it is something you will dread carrying and the miniscule fine tuning you'll have to do to get things focused just right. I end up carrying the Da 55 on FF instead and am fine with the slight less work to get similar quality and WR/silence. Or just get the Fa31-it's a level above the Sigma IMO in terms of picture contrast and it's always going to hit focus. There's a reason it was the top crop sensor lens and still amazes me when I crop in FF and STILL get pretty amazing bokeh. I also like the 43mm as another option over both. It's all about image quality but balance of use all factor in. The 43 mm is something you will carry and it's more a portrait than the 31mm if you end up going into FF. It's one of those lenses you will adore. The 55 is my winner for FF portrait and the 31mm for crop. If you want both bodies, the 43mm. The 35mm is good for crop but will be heavy especially if used to the smaller crop body and lenses. I personally feel the image quality is similar enough for all but the pixie dust is more in the 31/43 than the 35 and even 55.

Last edited by airjames; 07-31-2018 at 01:15 AM.
07-31-2018, 08:12 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
Sigma 35mm Art wins for bokeh and a one lens situation out of those two BUT as Sandy mentioned, it is something you will dread carrying and the miniscule fine tuning you'll have to do to get things focused just right. I end up carrying the Da 55 on FF instead and am fine with the slight less work to get similar quality and WR/silence. Or just get the Fa31-it's a level above the Sigma IMO in terms of picture contrast and it's always going to hit focus. There's a reason it was the top crop sensor lens and still amazes me when I crop in FF and STILL get pretty amazing bokeh. I also like the 43mm as another option over both. It's all about image quality but balance of use all factor in. The 43 mm is something you will carry and it's more a portrait than the 31mm if you end up going into FF. It's one of those lenses you will adore. The 55 is my winner for FF portrait and the 31mm for crop. If you want both bodies, the 43mm. The 35mm is good for crop but will be heavy especially if used to the smaller crop body and lenses. I personally feel the image quality is similar enough for all but the pixie dust is more in the 31/43 than the 35 and even 55.
How are the 31 and 43 FA limited on CA's compared to more modern glass like the Sigma and DA*55?

Thanks in advance