New:

Old:

New:

Old:

New:

07-31-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting, thank you for posting! I would have thought there would be more difference in the amount of swirling, but you don't see much swirling in these photos. I think better flare control and more saturation from the new Helios are expected..
07-31-2018, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Nice collector's piece you have there. #0000753 with the red П. They are two totally different beasts. In some situations I prefer the flares of the older version, and on some the bigger bokeh and absence of flare of the modern lens. I bet stopped down I would prefer the earlier one. I couldn't care less about hexagonal OOF highlights or six pointed sunstars.
I read in the user reviews in this forum that the number at the end (in this case 7) is supposed to be indicative of resolution.
On a non related side note, you must have one hell of a smelly car! XD (I'm sorry. I just read about a flight from New York to Ft. Lauderdale that had to make an emergency landing due to a "bad feet" smell that was choking the passengers and left at least one person unconscious.)

07-31-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Very interesting, thank you for posting! I would have thought there would be more difference in the amount of swirling, but you don't see much swirling in these photos. I think better flare control and more saturation from the new Helios are expected..
Yes, also the difference in contrast is undeniable.
This comparison has surprised me a little bit, as I highly prefer the pics taken with the older lens (assuming that saturation and contrast will be adjusted in PP).

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Nice collector's piece you have there. #0000753 with the red П. They are two totally different beasts. In some situations I prefer the flares of the older version, and on some the bigger bokeh and absence of flare of the modern lens. I bet stopped down I would prefer the earlier one. I couldn't care less about hexagonal OOF highlights or six pointed sunstars.
I read in the user reviews in this forum that the number at the end (in this case 7) is supposed to be indicative of resolution.
On a non related side note, you must have one hell of a smelly car! XD (I'm sorry. I just read about a flight from New York to Ft. Lauderdale that had to make an emergency landing due to a "bad feet" smell that was choking the passengers and left at least one person unconscious.)
Optical Resolution (center/edge)
Helios-44 - 35/14 lines/mm
MC Helios-44M-7 - 50/30 lines/mm

My car is usually smelly because I take my dogs there . But the main reason for having it opened is the extreme heat.