08-01-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DFA*50/1.4 test in French

[Test] Objectif Pentax D FA ? 50/1.4

08-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It looks fascinating ...... but I feel I am back to my childhood - I was looking at the pictures only. Is it possible to summarize in a few sentences what they conclude?
08-01-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
nice review

---------- Post added 1st Aug 2018 at 16:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It looks fascinating ...... but I feel I am back to my childhood - I was looking at the pictures only. Is it possible to summarize in a few sentences what they conclude?
Optical quality from the very beginning
The homogeneity of the image from the center of the field to the edge of the field
Ultra fast and precise focusing
All Weather Construction Quality
The bokeh
08-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, like we all expect, they point out how monstrously large it is, and most will consider it too expensive.

However, its full aperture performance and overall optical quality make it worthy of the "star" badge.

08-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
However, its full aperture performance and overall optical quality make it worthy of the "star" badge.
Exactly !

The side by side with the FA50 shows the age of the oldest ! Jeez, so much progress here !
08-01-2018, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have mostly the same first impressions, but on K-1 it doesn’t feel overly large or heavy. It feels balanced, like a natural extension of the camera.
08-01-2018, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #7

If you use Deepl.com or Google translate you get a very reasonable translation

Conclusion
With this objective an almost 30-month shortage without the sale of new D FA products comes to an end. Which is a long time. But in the end, the wait was worth it, because the goal turned out to be monstrous. In every sense of the word. By its weight certainly, but especially by its impressive performances. It shows itself remarkable with a beautiful resistance to flare and AC outside while proposing an excellent homogeneity of the image and an absence of distortion.

But what we can remember is that this D FA ★ 50/1.4 seems to be at ease in any type of shooting. Outdoors, its all-weather construction allows it to be taken out in any condition while producing crisp, balanced images. Indoors, it will rise to the occasion, both in classic conditions of use (family assembly, etc.) and in studio conditions. One can only reproach him for being a little too precise in the details. This is undoubtedly one of the brand's best objectives in a long time (probably with the D FA ★ 70-200).

There remains the price, which many might find excessive. For these, we can only recommend the FA 50/1.4, which is smaller and more accessible. The D FA ★ 50/1.4 is a high quality objective, which deserves the STAR designation and whose price is justified.

The Plus
Optical quality from full opening
The homogeneity of the image from the center field to the edge field
Ultra-fast and accurate focusing
All Weather Construction Quality
The bokeh

The least
The weight
Note
94/100

Translated with DeepL Translator

08-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #8

The comparisons with the FA50 1.4 are telling indeed, even if the FA is slightly overexposed. But there's so much more detail and contrast for the D-FA, it almost makes me want to buy it. Alas, right now I have no use for it that would justify the price.
08-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have mostly the same first impressions, but on K-1 it doesn’t feel overly large or heavy. It feels balanced, like a natural extension of the camera.
The authors agree!

"Fort heureusement, le couple est très bien équilibré, même mieux que celui formé avec le D FA 24-70. Et après une sortie de plus de 4h en le gardant à la main, il n’en ressort pas de fatigue particulière."

--- Happily the lens is very well balanced on the camera (K1), even better than the DFA 24-70. After more than four hours carrying it by hand, the combo didn't cause any "particular" fatigue. [Unless "en le gardant à la main" means "carrying it close to hand", i.e. "à la portée de main"... excuse my rusty knowledge...]

Last edited by sjwoodworth; 08-01-2018 at 10:45 AM.
08-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It makes the FA 50 1.4 look quite bad, not really a fair comparison. Will be interesting to see against the da* 55 1.4 and sigma 50 1.4 hsm. It should be a marked improvement over these as well.

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 10:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
It makes the FA 50 1.4 look quite bad, not really a fair comparison. Will be interesting to see against the da* 55 1.4 and sigma 50 1.4 hsm. It should be a marked improvement over these as well.
Also if someone wants to send me one I will gladly do a comparison with the sigma 50 1.4 HSM.

Last edited by Belnan; 08-01-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Speeling
08-01-2018, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoodworth Quote
The authors agree!

"Fort heureusement, le couple est très bien équilibré, même mieux que celui formé avec le D FA 24-70. Et après une sortie de plus de 4h en le gardant à la main, il n’en ressort pas de fatigue particulière."

--- Happily the lens is very well balanced on the camera (K1), even better than the DFA 24-70. After more than four hours carrying it by hand, the combo didn't cause any "particular" fatigue. [Unless "en le gardant à la main" means "carrying it close to hand", i.e. "à la portée de main"... excuse my rusty knowledge...]
The 24~70 has been my most used lens on K-1, but I think the 50 will take its place.
08-01-2018, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The 24~70 has been my most used lens on K-1, but I think the 50 will take its place.
Well, I often set my DFA24-70 to 50mm wide open and pretend it's a DFA*50 i stopped down to f28 for better sharpness , that's how I fight against LBA.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-01-2018 at 11:52 AM.
08-01-2018, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
It makes the FA 50 1.4 look quite bad, not really a fair comparison.
I'm not sure that fairness comes into it, really... It just shows how far things have come since Pentax's last 50mm f/1.4 offering. Regardless of the comparison, we all know that the FA50/1.4 - a small, inexpensive screw-drive lens that's still available brand new - is capable of producing very nice images when used wisely (I really like my own copy). But it's an old design with some obvious limitations. This comparison is an effective and conclusive answer to those who question the size, weight and price of the new lens. The obvious justification is in the image quality
08-01-2018, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The obvious justification is in the image quality
Do tell Ron
08-01-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
Do tell Ron
Ha ha

To be fair, there'll be plenty of people for whom the new, premium lens probably doesn't make sense - and that's fine. It is, after all, quite big and heavy, and a significant investment. But we should all be able to see why, for some, it could be a dream lens. I'd love to own it, but I simply can't justify that kind of expenditure for the use I'd get from it. Maybe one day, though...