Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How to adjust manual lens to focus past infinity?

The lens is Tele Takumar 200mm f5.6 to be exact. I want to use it with a more solid adapter that doesn't allow infinity focus, so I want to adjust it to compensate for that.

08-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll have a tough time adjusting any lens to allow infinity focus with what I assume is a flanged adapter. That must be adding a millimetre or more to the mount, and even with lenses that allow infinity adjustment, there's rarely that amount of leeway in the limits. It might be possible with the Takumar 200mm f/5.6, but I seriously doubt it. You'd be better off using a non-flanged adapter. I have both types, and use the flanged ones for closer subjects where infinity focus isn't required. The other option is to (irreparably) modify the lens by removing material from the rear of the lens body where the mount is attached... but, trust me, you really don't want to go there
08-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
you really don't want to go there
Yeah that sounds messy. It's just that my lens focus barrel has too much resistance to use with a non flanged adapter without its spring so when I focus it unscrews from the mount
08-01-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Yeah that sounds messy. It's just that my lens focus barrel has too much resistance to use with a non flanged adapter without its spring so when I focus it unscrews from the mount
This will happen with the flanged adapter too.
Those old lenses are usually relativly easy to disasemble and relube. Look for this lens on youtube videos reasemble/disasemble you might find a similar lens.

08-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Those old lenses are usually relativly easy to disasemble and relube. Look for this lens on youtube videos reasemble/disasemble you might find a similar lens.
I agree with @othar - the solution here is to service the lens, or have it serviced. The choice is learning to service it yourself, and the effort involved - or the cost of having it serviced
08-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Those old lenses are usually relativly easy to disasemble and relube.
This may be the best route. Any idea of which type of lube?

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 03:59 PM ----------

Wow I just watched a disassembly video of a similar lens and I think it is more than I want to get in to just to add some lube. Is there a way to sneak a little lube where it needs to go without taking apart so many pieces?
08-01-2018, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This may be the best route. Any idea of which type of lube?
Basically, you want something that stays relatively stable across a wide temperature range, that won't run or separate. Previously, I've used marine-grade white lithium + zinc oxide grease with good results, but it can be a bit too heavy for some lenses, resulting in too much resistance. For simple, wide spaced helicoids, it's fine, but with tighter tolerances, not so much.

My favourite is Helimax XP, which is designed specifically for the lenses and telescopes. It's more expensive, but worth it. I've yet to have problems with it on any lens.

Wow I just watched a disassembly video of a similar lens and I think it is more than I want to get in to just to add some lube. Is there a way to sneak a little lube where it needs to go without taking apart so many pieces?
Honestly, no. There are no lasting short-cuts.

You can't simply "add some lube" to what's already there... These are precision instruments. You need to clean the old, congealed lubricant off the focusing helicoid first, then apply the fresh stuff.

I've known some people drip a little thinning agent into the mechanism, which might work temporarily, but you will almost certainly end up back where you started (at best) or with lubricant or thinning agent migrating into the rest of the lens (at worst - and more likely).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-01-2018 at 04:08 PM.
08-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen some disasters in lenses where they used a thinning agent. It inevitably migrates to parts of the lens you don't want it.

I've had a couple of old lenses serviced, and done one myself. One of them I had done was my Takumar 200 5.6. Cleaned and properly lubed, the focus is buttery smooth. It may look daunting, but it's not that difficult after you do one. My first was an old Hanimax 135 which needed a cleaning due to fungus and a re-lube. As stated previously, use the better (more expensive) lubricant. It's worth it in the end.
08-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are you sure? I thought the flanged adapter had a hole that could lock up with the camera mount? I could then screw the lens very tightly into the adapter then it most likely wouldn't unscrew because there is not that much resistance..

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's more expensive, but worth it.
That's the problem as I don't want to pour too much money into my $20 lens

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 07:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
It may look daunting, but it's not that difficult after you do one.
I'll have to think about mustering up the courage then... It wasn't an expensive lens but I'd be sad since I love how it has many aperture blades lending to circular bokeh at all apertures!
08-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So... here's an idea that use to come across the forum now and then. If you are using generic adapters (not flanged), they would remove the lock screw, but put a drop of Locktight on the threads, in essence locking the adapter to the lens.

I've never done it because I also have M42 bodies I use my Takurmars with. But there are some that say it works great.
08-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
in essence locking the adapter to the lens
The lens stays attached to the adapter ok, just with the non flanged adapter and locking spring removed, the lens comes off the camera body. I have 2 other takumars that turn very easily when focusing so they stay on the body without the locking spring. I just wish my 200mm would too since it's much easier to interchange between lenses this way.
08-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you sure? I thought the flanged adapter had a hole that could lock up with the camera mount? I could then screw the lens very tightly into the adapter then it most likely wouldn't unscrew because there is not that much resistance..
The adapter will stay on the camera, but you will very likely unscrew the lens from the adapter. Maybe not at first, if you screw it that tight on it, but after a few focus movements the lens will eventually come off again.
08-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The adapter will stay on the camera, but you will very likely unscrew the lens from the adapter. Maybe not at first, if you screw it that tight on it, but after a few focus movements the lens will eventually come off again.
Oh, ok I get what you're saying now