Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
just heard from Precision:

PENTAX LENS 70-200/2.8 HD D FA(STAR) ED DC AW _ _

AF UNIT AND ASSOCIATED PARTS FOCUS RING OUTER PARTS AND APERATURE
A COMPLETE REPAIR AND RETURN ALL FUNCTIONS TO FACTORY SPECS.
AUTO FOCUS TEST, CHECK, RECALIBRATION AND REALIGNMENT GENERAL TEST, CHECK, CLEAN AND REPAIR ALL FUNCTIONS AND SYSTEMS

Repairs:
General Repairs:
13-Nov-18
TOPEKA, KS 66614
_ To: ALLEN CORZINE
. . .
Tax: $0.00 Other: $0.00
$45.00
Parts: $0.00 Cost Estimate: Labor: $459.74
Total Estimate: $504.74

If this cost estimate is refused a
YES-Repair for NO-Return unrepaired for
Shipping: $45.00
diagnostic fee will apply.

Please reply as soon as possible. Please note that we must receive payment before the repair processs can move forward. Payment is by Check, Credit Card-Debit Card or Money Order. Please refer to you Pcr Tag Number below on your payment.
Unless otherwise noted, repairs are guaranteed for 90 days for digital and video products (180 days for traditional equipment). Although we make every effort to preserve your film, digital or analog images we are not responsible for them. We are not responsible for accessories sent in with the unit. Guarantee is void on units having sand, liquid, impact, abuse or tamper damage. Estimated units not acted upon within 6 months will be consumed.

First thing I noticed is this

$45.00 diagnostic fee will apply.

funny I was told no cost to obtain an estimate of repair, I would only be responsible for return shipping, which I had to prepay

doesn't make me want to trust them very much

would you ?

now need to decide if I want a used repaired lens or a brand new one with longer warranty

I have read that if you use the right credit card, you get an automatic extension of the 1 year warranty, does anyone know about that ??
most credit cards double the manufacturers warranty my visa does through my bank a phone call will tell you or check the terms and conditions small print

11-14-2018, 04:11 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
most credit cards double the manufacturers warranty my visa does through my bank a phone call will tell you or check the terms and conditions small print
thanks

I will

that is something I really haven't been thinking about

turns out the problem regarding " diagnosis fee " is caused by Precision's poor choice of wording. I have been assured that there is no " diagnosis fee " and the $45 is to cover the cost of return postage if I chose not to have the repairs done.

I have chosen to have the repairs done.
11-14-2018, 04:27 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
finally received my 150-450 back last week. talk about a goat rope. united electronics went out of business right after my lens was shipped to precision and while it had been repaired towards the end of august their invoices to united went unanswered. at first they refused to communicate with the warranty company (new leaf) either by phone or email since their client was united electronics even after being told united no longer existed. when i called precision direct they flat refused to talk to me. i mean give me a break its a lens not medical records and i had the serial number. after 2 months of phone calls and emails it was finally straightened out and i received my lens minus both caps a Hoya uv filter and the soft case from Pentax. for some reason precision had shipped the lens direct to me and the rest minus the filter to new leaf. new leaf shipped the stuff to me priority mail and purchased a new Hoya filter from Adorama and had it shipped direct to me to replace the lost filter. i have to say new leaf went out of their way to try and resolve the problem and so far the lens is working but based on my past experience with precision the jury is still out. they shipped an expensive lens without either cap or the filter that had been attached since the day i received it. had the front or rear element been scratched i would have went ballistic. Pentax really needs to find another service center or look into hiring their own technicians. my third and hopefully last experience with precision.
11-15-2018, 04:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks

I will

that is something I really haven't been thinking about

turns out the problem regarding " diagnosis fee " is caused by Precision's poor choice of wording. I have been assured that there is no " diagnosis fee " and the $45 is to cover the cost of return postage if I chose not to have the repairs done.

I have chosen to have the repairs done.
also on a totally unrelated subject if you rent a car they will try and sell you insurance that costs almost as much as the daily rental to "cover" your insurance deductible and such.since you pretty well can't rent a car without one most credit cards provide this coverage also again check with your issuing bank.

11-15-2018, 04:35 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
also on a totally unrelated subject if you rent a car they will try and sell you insurance that costs almost as much as the daily rental to "cover" your insurance deductible and such.since you pretty well can't rent a car without one most credit cards provide this coverage also again check with your issuing bank.
thanks

but check your own auto insurance coverage and if it doesn't cover you when you rent a vehicle, ask your agent why not and consider switching coverage
most current insurance policies will cover you without additional charges

but check and make sure
11-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks

but check your own auto insurance coverage and if it doesn't cover you when you rent a vehicle, ask your agent why not and consider switching coverage
most current insurance policies will cover you without additional charges

but check and make sure
they will cover a rental but deductibles and such will still apply. most credit cards cover that in addition to doubling the manufacturer warranty on purchases. time for me to shut up now probably