Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DFA 150-450 problems

had what i think is a whole series of unusual problems all at once with 150-450 Saturday morning. i was on my back porch shooting backyard birds with the K1 and 150-450 mounted on a tripod and it just totally seemed to go nuts. first it started showing in focus after it went past being in focus. the light came on and the signal sound came on also even though it wasn't even close. then i tried to retract it and it is stuck at 200 and will not go any further towards 150 its like someone put some kind of stop inside the lens it actually feels like there is something in there physically stopping it from moving any further. then finally the zoom lock switch will not move anymore either. i have had the lens for 2.5 years with no problems at all. only good thing is i had purchased a 5 year total warranty on it so it is already on the way to a repair center in illinois arranged by the warranty company. anyone ever had any problems like this with any lens before ?

08-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a thread that should help you to know what's wrong: FIX for jammed DFA 150-450 - PentaxForums.com
08-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read that if it is zoomed too agressively, one of the rubber o ring seals can slip out of its groove and jam things up. Thankfully haven't experienced it myself.
Daryl
08-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had good luck with mine. Please let us know how your problem works out.

08-03-2018, 02:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
let me know if you need help in repairing this problem. The tread hyyz has linked you to has an image in it showing where the problem is likely to be.

Just out of interest, is you zoom lock switch difficult to use?
08-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
let me know if you need help in repairing this problem. The tread hyyz has linked you to has an image in it showing where the problem is likely to be.

Just out of interest, is you zoom lock switch difficult to use?
Wild Mark no the zoom lock switch was never difficult to use at all. after reading about the fix what is still puzzling me is that the auto focus seemed to lose its mind at the same time. i had already shipped it before i posted this question but i probably would'nt have tried it since its still covered by the extended warranty i purchased.
08-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

ok, then perhaps it needs a more extensive look. Suffice to say, the reason for the 200 zoom jam (180) was very obvious with little dismantling. I can't speak to the autofocus - maybe it is linked (do not know) - all the best with the repair.

08-28-2018, 03:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thought i would ad a small update. the place the warranty company had me ship my lens to United Electronics in Illinois had to send it to Precision because they are not allowed to purchase whatever parts are needed to repair it. both the warranty company and united have called me and apologized for the problem which to be honest i lay right at the feet of Pentax in this case. i do not understand why Pentax will sell parts to a small camera store/repair place in Vermont but not a major repair center. based on my prior experience with Precision i will be lucky to have the lens back by the first of the new year and i will be lucky if it works at all.
08-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

oh that's a bummer!
Hopefully Precision will take care of it!

I'm looking at the 150-450 myself so will be watching this thread to see the outcome...

Best of luck!
08-31-2018, 04:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
oh that's a bummer!
Hopefully Precision will take care of it!

I'm looking at the 150-450 myself so will be watching this thread to see the outcome...

Best of luck!
based on my other two experiences with precision i am not very hopeful. they had my 60-250 for over 6 months and it wasn't fixed properly when i finally got it back. had to send it right back and it was another 4 months before i got it back. the 16-50 was there and back 4 times never was properly repaired i had it converted to screw drive and it has worked perfectly ever since. both lenses had SDM failure. but here's the good thing after i spoke to united electronics they guarantee the repair through the warranty company even though Pentax refuses to sell them whatever parts were needed not sure how thats going to work.
08-31-2018, 04:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
based on my other two experiences with precision i am not very hopeful. they had my 60-250 for over 6 months and it wasn't fixed properly when i finally got it back. had to send it right back and it was another 4 months before i got it back. the 16-50 was there and back 4 times never was properly repaired i had it converted to screw drive and it has worked perfectly ever since. both lenses had SDM failure. but here's the good thing after i spoke to united electronics they guarantee the repair through the warranty company even though Pentax refuses to sell them whatever parts were needed not sure how thats going to work.
I'm sorry to hear... That's a shame.

Makes me think if I ever went through that I'd probably consider another brand simply for technical repair/support ease.

Though, the thought of leaving Pentax hurts just as bad!
08-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It happened to me. I zoomed very rapidly and this issue happened. Mine was still under warrante and Precision took care of it for free. I am more careful now.
11-12-2018, 03:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My 3 year old lens is on its way back to Japan, and probably going to cost me a truckload of dollars to repair.
I was having intermittent problems with the auto focus ( the camera would switch to manual focus while I was trying to track "things) but was reluctant to send it away for repair because I suspected it would have to be sent back to Japan (I use the lens most days for birds, motorcyles etc.)
Then the zoom died. It started grating and jammed between 200 and 450.
I have been told there is a problem with the rear elements, so goodness knows when it will return and how useful/reliable it will be after repair.
Current price for a replacement is about $AUD3300.
11-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murra54 Quote
My 3 year old lens is on its way back to Japan, and probably going to cost me a truckload of dollars to repair.
I was having intermittent problems with the auto focus ( the camera would switch to manual focus while I was trying to track "things) but was reluctant to send it away for repair because I suspected it would have to be sent back to Japan (I use the lens most days for birds, motorcyles etc.)
Then the zoom died. It started grating and jammed between 200 and 450.
I have been told there is a problem with the rear elements, so goodness knows when it will return and how useful/reliable it will be after repair.
Current price for a replacement is about $AUD3300.
that sounds very similar to the problem that developed with my * 70-200mm which has been at Precision Camera in Conn. USA since early October and was sent to Japan about a week or so ago

no diagnosis or estimate of Repair received yet

hoping for the best for both of us
11-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just heard from Precision:

PENTAX LENS 70-200/2.8 HD D FA(STAR) ED DC AW _ _

AF UNIT AND ASSOCIATED PARTS FOCUS RING OUTER PARTS AND APERATURE
A COMPLETE REPAIR AND RETURN ALL FUNCTIONS TO FACTORY SPECS.
AUTO FOCUS TEST, CHECK, RECALIBRATION AND REALIGNMENT GENERAL TEST, CHECK, CLEAN AND REPAIR ALL FUNCTIONS AND SYSTEMS

Repairs:
General Repairs:
13-Nov-18
TOPEKA, KS 66614
_ To: ALLEN CORZINE
. . .
Tax: $0.00 Other: $0.00
$45.00
Parts: $0.00 Cost Estimate: Labor: $459.74
Total Estimate: $504.74

If this cost estimate is refused a
YES-Repair for NO-Return unrepaired for
Shipping: $45.00
diagnostic fee will apply.

Please reply as soon as possible. Please note that we must receive payment before the repair processs can move forward. Payment is by Check, Credit Card-Debit Card or Money Order. Please refer to you Pcr Tag Number below on your payment.
Unless otherwise noted, repairs are guaranteed for 90 days for digital and video products (180 days for traditional equipment). Although we make every effort to preserve your film, digital or analog images we are not responsible for them. We are not responsible for accessories sent in with the unit. Guarantee is void on units having sand, liquid, impact, abuse or tamper damage. Estimated units not acted upon within 6 months will be consumed.

First thing I noticed is this

$45.00 diagnostic fee will apply.

funny I was told no cost to obtain an estimate of repair, I would only be responsible for return shipping, which I had to prepay

doesn't make me want to trust them very much

would you ?

now need to decide if I want a used repaired lens or a brand new one with longer warranty

I have read that if you use the right credit card, you get an automatic extension of the 1 year warranty, does anyone know about that ??