Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
you also might want to consider the sigma 100-400 f4. Excellent lens and works well with the teleconverter. Only issue is the exif doesn't pick up the correct f stop but I consider that very minor...my 2 cents. My husband has a 50-500 bigma and has gotten hooked on the lighter sigma with adapter and haven't seen him use it since he started using my lens
Are you referring to the Sigma 100-300 f/4? I remember hearing good things about that lens back in my canon days.
I kind of wish my wife liked photography. I have to do it solo because she doesn’t really “get it” and it’s annoying (to me) if I’m being rushed or bothered while I’m trying to take shots.

08-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I have to do it solo because she doesn’t really “get it” and it’s annoying (to me) if I’m being rushed or bothered while I’m trying to take shots.
Oh that still happens. Even though we share brand, have our PP stations right across from each other and constantly share photos, cameras and lenses, we don't always want to shoot the same things. And we both up wandering around lost while the other is caught up in some "shot of a lifetime, have to have it" scenario. But that doesn't always happen so that's the good part.

The deal with a non-photographer is she always has to wait for you. With two shooters, you take turns waiting for each other. Although sometimes I get a shot i wouldn't have even seen if I was poking around waiting for her to finish up.

Not to mention that her PP standards are much higher than mine, any image I show her, I'm probably going to listen to what I should have done in PP before she tells me if she likes it.

Last edited by normhead; 08-03-2018 at 12:20 PM.
08-03-2018, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you referring to the Sigma 100-300 f/4? I remember hearing good things about that lens back in my canon days.
I kind of wish my wife liked photography. I have to do it solo because she doesn’t really “get it” and it’s annoying (to me) if I’m being rushed or bothered while I’m trying to take shots.
yes it's an awesome lens and I think there are some on the forum...highly recommend...and my husband still doesn't understand being patient for the right shot

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/371289-sa...zoom-lens.html
08-03-2018, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Oh that still happens. Even though we share brand, have our PP stations right across from each other and constantly share photos, cameras and lenses, we don't always want to shoot the same things. And we both up wandering around lost while the other is caught up in some "shot of a lifetime, have to have it" scenario. But that doesn't always happen so that's the good part.

The deal with a non-photographer is she always has to wait for you. With two shooters, you take turns waiting for each other. Although sometimes I get a shot i wouldn't have even seen if I was poking around waiting for her to finish up.

Not to mention that her PP standards are much higher than mine, any image I show her, I'm probably going to listen to what I should have done in PP before she tells me if she likes it.
My wife is from India and I don't mean to stereotype, but let's just say that if she ever complements an image I make it's a big deal...

It probably doesn't help that she hates birds in general (one of my favorite subjects) and lizards, gators etc. (which I also like to shoot) and she doesn't like bugs, insects, dragonflies etc. A lot of my subjects aren't of interest. I suppose if she was into photography we would like entirely different things as you mentioned.

08-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife is from India and I don't mean to stereotype, but let's just say that if she ever complements an image I make it's a big deal...

It probably doesn't help that she hates birds in general (one of my favorite subjects) and lizards, gators etc. (which I also like to shoot) and she doesn't like bugs, insects, dragonflies etc. A lot of my subjects aren't of interest. I suppose if she was into photography we would like entirely different things as you mentioned.

sorry to hear that...mine may not understand the patience but he does appreciate a nice shot...and I love birds and bugs...maybe not gators but they aren't in va

08-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
sorry to hear that...mine may not understand the patience but he does appreciate a nice shot...and I love birds and bugs...maybe not gators but they aren't in va

It's ok. Asian culture is much more critical in my experience, so it just takes more to impress her. It also took me a while to learn that rarely getting complemented for doing things for her was normal. Just part of the relationship fun
08-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Never let go of a DA* 300 under any circumstances.

08-03-2018, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
the 300 + 1.4xTC is not going to be comparable to the long end of the DFA150-450, not a chance.
The DFA is unique in that the image degradation at the long end of the range is fairly minimal. Many zooms are good up to a point and then fall off at the end, but I think they designed this zoom to perform best at the long focal lengths.
Being the owner of the DA*300/4 and the HD 1.4X TC, and having had used/tested the 150-450 as well, I found that the TC combo (with the DA*300) simply doesn't provide as much "IQ" as the lens alone, for sure.
The 150-450 at 450mm seems to get, in image quality, quite close to that the DA*300.

BTW, I've been known to complain about the 300 lens + TC not being quite "sharp" while some claim great results with this combo ... I have not used this TC on my 300/4 lens for quite some time and I certainly am not missing much.

So, I agree with your statement: "the 300 + 1.4xTC is not going to be comparable to the long end of the DFA150-450, not a chance."

Last edited by jpzk; 08-03-2018 at 08:13 PM.
08-04-2018, 05:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I have and use them both. The DA*300/4+HD 1.4TC has been my field 'go to' lens pair almost exclusively since Apr 2014. I added the 150-450 in May 2018 for its reach, zoom flexibility and more modern AF when paired with the K-1 MkII.

IQ-wise, if you take some care selecting your candidate images for post-processing, both are capable of producing equally superb results.

As to handling, I'm still on the learning curve with the 150-450 and find myself fiddling around with its settings more than with the 300+1.4. The weight difference between the two is a non-issue for me. In fact, I kinda like the150-450's extra weight when handholding. Once your body is set and locked on to your subject, the kit's dead-weight inertia makes it more difficult to jiggle. I find the steadying effect of more weight makes it easier to get a sharper image at the 450 range. OTOH, the minimum focus distance (4.59'/1.40m) vs the 150-450's (6.0'/2m) is a plus for the 300. It may not seem like much, but when a tiny subject is close by and hidden deep in grass or twigs... being nimble and able to maneuver into an unobstructed viewing-angle can make the difference between a hit, or missed shot.

In sum, I absolutely love the 300+1.4 combo (even with the easy to fix K-1 MkII vignette issue) and I'm rapidly moving in that direction for the 150-450, as well.

Feel free to explore some examples via the link, below. Comments and questions are always welcome.

Cheers... M
Nice summary. Thanks for sharing.
08-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #25

I use my DFA 150-450mm strictly for birds and shoot at 450mm. I am drawn to the 1.4x 300mm combo as I value a lighter kit (being out at refuges for 4-5 hours at a time).

Would you say that the 1.4x 300m is as sharp as the DFA 150-450mm at 450mm?
08-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
For me, both kits are capable of producing superb results... but I might be a better photographer than others with a differing opinion.

Cheers, and Enjoy the Season... M
Thanks! Yup, I took a look at your Flickr and was really impressed with all of the images, especially the Tree Swallows in flight. I really enjoy the foreground/background separation that is more evident in the prime 300mm.

Went ahead and picked up the DA300 w/ TC. I have a feeling it will be an easier to handle lens on longer trips and I am not losing much in reach with the addition of the TC.

Last edited by sutherland; 08-15-2018 at 07:43 AM.
08-16-2018, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #27

Not the most precise of tests:

Simply stayed in the same spot, handheld the K-3II, swapped between lenses while keeping the settings the same. ISO800 / Shutter at 1000 / Aperture at 7.1. I photographed a birdhouse in the corner of my backyard.

DA300 w/ TC

DFA150-450

Here are some parts of the birdhouse zoomed in (DA300 w/ TC on left, DFA150-450 on right):

Focusing speed, from what I could tell was negligible. Without the TC, the DA300 was very sharp (as to be expected).

I am sure I could have done this test better, but for my needs, I am sticking with the DFA150-450. Also take my simple comparison with a grain of salt . There are tons of great images with this combination. My conclusion is that the DFA150-450 focuses more consistently than the DA300 w/ TC, thus resulting in more predictable results.
08-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've always heard that the Sigma 100-300 is something special. Never found one for sale though. And I just recently discovered how heavy those things are!

My wife is more the point-and-shoot type. I got her a nice Sony. She still gets annoyed with me when I take my camera somewhere, because I'm always stopping to take a picture.

When I first bought my *ist-DS, the FA 300 was going for $650 new. I decided that was too much and maybe I'd think about getting it later; it was discontinued shortly thereafter. Now you can't even find a USED one for that little. I'm sore from the number of times I've kicked myself.
08-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
Not the most precise of tests:

Simply stayed in the same spot, handheld the K-3II, swapped between lenses while keeping the settings the same. ISO800 / Shutter at 1000 / Aperture at 7.1. I photographed a birdhouse in the corner of my backyard.

DA300 w/ TC

DFA150-450

Here are some parts of the birdhouse zoomed in (DA300 w/ TC on left, DFA150-450 on right):

Focusing speed, from what I could tell was negligible. Without the TC, the DA300 was very sharp (as to be expected).

I am sure I could have done this test better, but for my needs, I am sticking with the DFA150-450. Also take my simple comparison with a grain of salt . There are tons of great images with this combination. My conclusion is that the DFA150-450 focuses more consistently than the DA300 w/ TC, thus resulting in more predictable results.
Thanks for sharing your results. Looks like the zoom has a slight advantage.
08-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #30

Thanks for sharing your results. Looks like the zoom has a slight advantage.
From my brief test, I found it to be the more consistent performer. Prior to conducting the comparison, I shot a few chickadees and finches using the DA300 TC combination. The results were spotty, but I chalk that up to getting acquainted with the lens.