Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Obviously a great lens going by what the fortunate owners have so far posted. I will never be able to justify a DFA* 50/1.4 but I just snagged a Takumar 50/1.4 (8 element) at one thirteenth of the price of the DFA (It hasn't even arrived yet). Given the legendary status of the 8 element lens, I will be waiting for someone who owns both lenses to do a side-by-side comparison - just out of academic interest.
I have many, many Pentax 50’s including the 8-element. I can’t do it next week, but the week after I can do an environmental comparison (not a controlled studio test).

I must say the lens is astonishingly good and I haven’t yet even begun exploring its potential.

08-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #17
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have seen much better shots with this lens. Where are the "sharpness" and the "detail"?
08-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
I have seen much better shots with this lens. Where are the "sharpness" and the "detail"?
The "sharpness" and the "detail" are lost to a very shallow DOF, due to f/1.4 wide open aperture, while the eye is the standout. Also, as good as this is, wide open is still wide open, meaning sharpness will be yet better when stopped down even slightly. I'm sure there are indeed examples of this, with more overall detail and less shallow DOF.

When lab test results finally emerge, they should be interesting.
08-04-2018, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
As mikesbike said, the shallow DOF will make most of the image out of focus which was exactly my intention to show the sharpness of the very narrow DOF and the bokeh of the out of focus areas. For a 1.4 this is extremely sharp. Just look for the eyes or better the feathers that are actually in the focal plane.

08-04-2018, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Met a really good model today
Full size, no sharpening, F 1.4, Lightroom export, Adobe RGB
Enjoy

RIght click > View Image for full res viewing

Greylag geese are a great subject. Very inquisitive and friendly.

Please don't lure them with bread though. If you are going to feed pond birds to get them to pose for you, a small handful of peas, corn or poultry feed will be good for them and won't interfere with with their normal diet.
08-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #21
Forum Member

I can see green and purple aberrations in the edges of the feathers. Some might happen because of moiré? Why out of focus areas are especially prone to chromatic aberrations? I wonder, if Zeiss Otus could do any better, so this is the limit of optical technology so far?

Thansks for posting full resolution images. This lens is not exactly cheap, so full res should be good and reveals the truth. Many lens look good when downsampled enough. Might not matter that much today, but some day there is so sharp displays that it could matter. You can't go back to the past to reshot your photos with a future camera then.
08-04-2018, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #22
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
don't lure them with bread
Yes. I find bread is better for the stuffing!

08-04-2018, 03:51 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Bokeh is nice!! I would love to hear the real-world experience from users of this lens, especially about its autofocus.
08-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The big question is, is it good enough users will stop converting Leica and Zeiss 50s.
08-04-2018, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The big question is, is it good enough users will stop converting Leica and Zeiss 50s.
Should be if what I have seen on member's IG pages are any indication.
My Boris Cleto list keeps growing with the negative nellies, How is yours doing Norm? They seem to crawl out of the woodwork when something good happens to say "Pentax is Doomed!"
08-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Should be if what I have seen on member's IG pages are any indication.
My Boris Cleto list keeps growing with the negative nellies, How is yours doing Norm? They seem to crawl out of the woodwork when something good happens to say "Pentax is Doomed!"
No recent additions, the last few I've added because I'm pretty sure I'm on their ignore lists. If I post a couple of queries and get no response, I have to assume they've ignored me, or are just rude. I'm not wasting time writing posts in answer to people who have me on ignore. Many people who make assumptions based on life long prejudices ignore me, because I ask them for photos demonstrating what they are talking about. Apparently, that's too much to ask. Others just don't like my style of communicating, or any styole where they aren't the centres of the universe. It's no sweat off my back either way. At least they finally ignored me instead of telling me I have to change. "You have good information but I don't like the way you say it." Like I'm supposed to change for them. "You're the dude who wants the information, you change." would be my response.

Not everyone likes everyone else, people trying to "change" for someone else is nonsense. If you change, people who actually like you won't like you any more.
08-04-2018, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Met a really good model today
I love those couple of pictures! Thanks for sharing and demonstrating the qualities of the lens. As always, however, the photographer has something to do with it also!
08-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Pentax really nailed it with this lens, amazing detail. Will it work on K-5IIs?
08-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
Pentax really nailed it with this lens, amazing detail. Will it work on K-5IIs?
I can see no reason why it would not! I love my KP, but I still have my K-5 IIs and love it too!
08-04-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

It's KAF4, and only works on a K-5 at ƒ1.4 and green mode or AV as far as I know. I know KAF4 doesn't work on my wife's K-5. (We have a55-300 PLM, the other KAF4 lens.)

Last edited by normhead; 08-04-2018 at 12:53 PM.