Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The big question is, is it good enough users will stop converting Leica and Zeiss 50s.
Not just that, IMHO - it will make users of other systems keen to keep Pentax alive

08-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's KAF4, and only works on a K-5 at ƒ1.4 and green mode or AV as far as I know. I know KAF4 doesn't work on my wife's K-5. (We have a55-300 PLM, the other KAF4 lens.)
that's not good. I see in in the lens database that it has KAF4 with electromagnetically actuated aperture, so K-5IIs cannot control it. Of course, K-50 is supported via firmware upgrade, but K-5IIs is just too old

Also, the lens compatibility check says "Compatible with limitations"? I would say incompatible, if the only aperture you can use is wide open...
08-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
that's not good. I see in in the lens database that it has KAF4 with electromagnetically actuated aperture, so K-5IIs cannot control it. Of course, K-50 is supported via firmware upgrade, but K-5IIs is just too old

Also, the lens compatibility check says "Compatible with limitations"? I would say incompatible, if the only aperture you can use is wide open...
Works quite nicely at F1.4 ....

;-)

Would probably feel a bit front heavy on the K5 though.
08-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I figured it was going to be something about ducks... Nice pictures.

08-09-2018, 02:11 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Image center is somewhat like Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 shot wide open. Acceptable. But then again, what was the point of the test photo? Duck's eye? Kind of same issue of having very sharp human eye and the rest of the face blurred. Waiting for someone to plan a dramatic landscape shoot in really nasty weather and punish the lens properly.
08-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Image center is somewhat like Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 shot wide open. Acceptable. But then again, what was the point of the test photo? Duck's eye? Kind of same issue of having very sharp human eye and the rest of the face blurred. Waiting for someone to plan a dramatic landscape shoot in really nasty weather and punish the lens properly.
You are obviously not a fan of shallow DOF and bokeh so this picture clearly wasn't for you. And I am not going to start calling for nasty weather just to please you
08-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #37
Veteran Member

AW spec! Come on Just a little bit water, waves and sand.

08-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
AW spec! Come on Just a little bit water, waves and sand.
I can tell you that I've never been so nervous about seeing specs of dust on the front element... it is so big and beautiful almost makes people stare into it like in a mirror
08-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Slap a polarizer there permanently. Good one not to spoil the IQ too much.
08-09-2018, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I don't drink alcohol, so does that mean I can buy the lens?
Only if you start a fund called "beer money" and put $60 a week into it.
08-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pikselisiirto Quote
Why out of focus areas are especially prone to chromatic aberrations?
That is typical of longitudinal CA (sometimes referred to as "bokeh CA"). That being said, I don't see any CA (Lo or La) in the duck shot, though there is birefringence typical of bird feathers and perhaps some moiré. The main concern is that the subject is for the most part out of focus.

Steve
08-28-2018, 01:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is typical of longitudinal CA (sometimes referred to as "bokeh CA"). That being said, I don't see any CA (Lo or La) in the duck shot, though there is birefringence typical of bird feathers and perhaps some moiré. The main concern is that the subject is for the most part out of focus.

Steve
which is exactly as expected when one is trying to show the sharpness and bokeh of a 1.4 aperture I certainly didn't shoot the pictures to get the whole bird in focus, apologies
08-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
which is exactly as expected when one is trying to show the sharpness and bokeh of a 1.4 aperture I certainly didn't shoot the pictures to get the whole bird in focus, apologies
Indeed, depth of field is quite precious at f/1.4, particularly if pixel peeping. My comment was in response to the claim that there are pervasive optical aberrations in the photos. There is none. The last statement was in regard to the comment's suggestion that the lens is soft at f/1.4. I did not feel there was evidence to judge one way or another.

Your lens shows lovely bokeh and very pleasing transitions. It is an impressive tool.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2018 at 10:29 AM.