Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #16
MrA

How radioactive are we talking here? I mean, if I go walking in the cairgorm mountains all that granite is pretty radioactive. Are we actually talking outside the bounds of natural background radiation.

09-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Hey Bill, I see you got the 105. How do you like it?
See page 37, msg 550, Takumar Club. All I've had time for is those three test shots. The lens itself is at least EX or better. Case pristine, and original front and rear caps. When Ebaying I mostly will only bid on lenses which have case and original caps. At least it may have been stored properly. I'm working on a Cushman Eagle Vanguard conversion in my spare time. Well supervising anyway.

I still plan to get with you to get the exact setup you are using. I'm doing something wrong.
09-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
This is irony, right? Gee, I like it when y'all get clever.
Really more like low comedy!!!

I have to work to keep up and at my age that sort of thing is good for the old noggin.
Be a sport and post your date of birth on your info page. Mine is there.
09-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
In addition to the radioactive problem with the various Takumar lenses there is another problem which is even more dangerous.

In another thread a few months back a user related that he was was changing from an M42 mount to a K mount while standing on the platform of a train station. He dropped th mount adapter, it rolled off the platform, and ended up by the tracks. He jumped down retrieved the mount adapter, and returned to the platform.

The conclusion which I have come to is that in addition to having your eyeball shrivel up and fall out along with the potential loss of teeth from radiation exposure, you also have the possibility of getting run over by a train. These lenses are dangerous and should only be used by a professional. Send all your Takumar lenses to Mike Cash. Mike is really "Mr. Takumar" around here and he will know what to do. You can't be too careful.

As Mr. Takumar Cash is unavailable, I'll say the needful here: ifn the guy used only Takumars like a sane person, he'd have no need to be changing mount rings on a train platform.

09-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
How radioactive are we talking here? I mean, if I go walking in the cairgorm mountains all that granite is pretty radioactive. Are we actually talking outside the bounds of natural background radiation.
If you drive past a port facility with the lens in your trunk Homeland Security will riddle your car with bullets then incinerate you & your car.
09-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I recently had a S-M-C 50 1.4 on the Marketplace where a buyer *wanted* the yellowed glass ... he said it did something special for his black and white film work. I had let the lens sit under a plant light for a week and it was perfectly clear....lost that particular sale. Seems he could have put a yellow filter on the lens, but hey..whatever!

germar
09-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I just found someone with some radioactive lenses the other day, whom's agreed to safely dispose of them in my direction

It's nice being a safe disposal unit for some things.
09-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Seems he could have put a yellow filter on the lens, but hey..whatever!

germar
Not really, I had one lens that gave every photo the nicest OLD PHOTO look. Although I loved the photographs taken with it I still ended up putting it out in the sun. And I don't regret the decision.

Here's a sample photo from it

09-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #24

Funny, I just read some stuff about this very topic. I have a tack 1.4/50 mm. I haven't been extremely happy with the results, but since I'm still learning, I'm blaming it on the man behind the camera and not the lens. If I remember correctly, you can shine light through it with the lens wide open onto some white paper. If the light on the paper is yellow, you have an issue. If not, then it's just the defracting of light due to the coatings on the lens.

If my lens is radioactive though, I think I'll see if I can use it as a power source for my car. Then, with all the money I save in gas, I can go out and buy tons of lenses.

Randy.
09-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote
Hey, at least it can be a cheap alternative to a vasectomy.
Wish I had known this 36 years ago.
09-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I checked yours and you have me by 1 year, more or less. My date of build was 5/30/43. Got to use my Medicare card for the first time yesterday.
09-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
What a long strange trip it's been...

I will add it to the profile because I'm proud that my chronology has finally caught up with my psychology... I turn 63 tomorrow,
FHPhotog
09-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I will add it to the profile because I'm proud that my chronology has finally caught up with my psychology... I turn 63 tomorrow,
FHPhotog
When you say psychology, do you mean IQ?

Congrats you youngster you. Soon life can begin.
09-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
ah, the golden years...

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
When you say psychology, do you mean IQ?
Congrats you youngster you. Soon life can begin.
Not hardly, I think my IQ is dropping in inverse proportion to my age,
FHPhotog
09-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

FHPhotog
I'll say it now before I forget

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
I hope that you get the best cake in the world, along with a couple of Limited lenses.

Oh, if you get the limited's please take a photograph of the cake, and share it woth us