Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 info

Hi Folks...6 weeks ago I sent my Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 to sigma for repair because it was suffering from BF / FF issues....I also complained that that it was a slow focusing lens...This lens is known for being slow focusing because it has allot of heavy glass..It uses an 82mm filter...Anyway, what happened to this lens was not a fault of Sigma, but my fault. I dropped it about 5 feet or so and it was never the same after that...So anyway, I sent it in for repair and spoke with a tech. He told me they have a completely new focusing element for that lens and was waiting for it from Japan...Anyway I got it back today and it is a rocket...It went from being super slow to one of the fastest lenses I have...It is sharp as a tack.....I also found out that my Sigma 135-400 was also fitted with a new focusing element as well and that explains why it is so quick and sharp....Anyway, here are some snap shots I took on my way home...I will take some proper images during the week..... I bring this up because others whom I have conversed with regarding this lens all had the same complain...''It is slow''..

I would suggest contacting Sigma and see if your lens can get this upgrade.
Mine was still under warranty and cost me no money, but a total of 6 weeks with out it including shipping time....

09-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

09-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote

He told me they have a completely new focusing element for that lens and was waiting for it from Japan...Anyway I got it back today and it is a rocket...It went from being super slow to one of the fastest lenses I have...
two theories

1) you got a new one... and it is all plastic... or paper

2) you forgot (6 weeks) how slow it was, may be it was not after all
09-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
two theories

1) you got a new one... and it is all plastic... or paper

2) you forgot (6 weeks) how slow it was, may be it was not after all
This I know. I know my lens. I know how slow it was (past tense) I know how much faster it is than my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8....It is not s different lens because the serial matches. The front part of the lens is brand new. Call it paper if you like. I am only sharing this so others may want to look into it for themselves.....sheeesh

Do you own this lens?

09-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It is not s different lens because the serial matches.
Sigma makes no secret that they replace lens and put old serial number on it - I have a Sigma service order (actually two of them) in front of me and it says
"replaced lens same SN#"... (technical notes section - bottom/left)... so it might be that you actually got a new body and old sticker w/ the same serial number... does not matter - I do not think that new whatever is actually new design... probably your old was just defective, that was the reason for it being tight and slow... as for the glass - the front group (including that "82mm" piece) does not rotate during focusing, right ? only inner group rotates and it might not be that heavy for a screw drive if assembled right.

PS: on the 2nd thought - 6 weeks probably means that they were really waiting for something to come from Japan... stocked items are done in 2 weeks

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 09-17-2008 at 08:45 PM.
09-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #6

Hey, if it's a whole new lens, that's even better
I have this lens too and love it!
09-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tbone-ike Quote
Hey, if it's a whole new lens, that's even better !
even if it is used and abused - for as long as you can get AF right by the camera body and no decentering / tilting - it is what you need and should be happy about... now back to speculations (reposting from another topic)

it looks like (at least how I read his words) that it was not an isolated incident and Sigma is replacing those focusing units inside the lens...

now what can be replaced ? he says it moves (focuses) faster now - so either it is "lighter" (think some glass/metal was replaced by plastic or the actual size of the elements in focusing group was reduced - but all that means a major change in optical design, not that easy - right ?) and/or the gears design (or how it was assembled - gears I mean, not optics) was defective and while focusing group itself (optical elements and assembly that holds them) remained the same - just gearing (mechanics) was replaced... pure speculations though

09-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, let me be more clear.
First here is a scan of the work order.

When I spoke to a sigma tech, he said he was waiting on the main PCS.
This he called the front focusing element. It contains everything but the rear housing where the serial number is and mounts to the body. Mine does not look like it has ever been tampered with..So like I said. What I do know is that I am very happy with my lens. I have no complains..It focus extremely fast and locks dead on. So what ever they did, I am happy with it...He also told me that the 24-60 F/2.8 that is way different will be discontinued which is why they are popping up for very good prices. I read your thread and sorry to hear of your miss fortunes...I went through a similar experience with my DA*16-50 f/2.8 AND SO i feel your pain...
09-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter

"He also told me that the 24-60 F/2.8 that is way different will be discontinued which is why they are popping up for very good prices."

What does this mean?

I bought a 24-60 recently, it just arrived the other day. It is kinda slow on the trigger. If I sent it in to Sigma, would they replace the front end on this one too?

As it stands, the 24-60 was a smoking deal for what it does. I'm not complaining about the price I paid or anything. But if an upgrade exists, I'd like to know.

Thanks!
09-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
"He also told me that the 24-60 F/2.8 that is way different will be discontinued which is why they are popping up for very good prices."

What does this mean?

I bought a 24-60 recently, it just arrived the other day. It is kinda slow on the trigger. If I sent it in to Sigma, would they replace the front end on this one too?

As it stands, the 24-60 was a smoking deal for what it does. I'm not complaining about the price I paid or anything. But if an upgrade exists, I'd like to know.

Thanks!
My lens and your lens are different. Yours will be discontinued soon. I know of no update for your lens. I am speaking only of the model I have. The 24-70F/2.8 DG Macro.

I have seen your lens selling for less than $200.00 and have been thinking about picking one up as a spare.
09-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ok, let me be more clear.
First here is a scan of the work order.
good - so it was only a circuit board then... then I wonder how that exactly helps the screwdrive motor to rotate it faster then ? like there is no direct mechanical link between shaft and the actual gear ?
09-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When I spoke to a sigma tech, he said he was waiting on the main PCS.
This he called the front focusing element. It contains everything but the rear housing where the serial number is and mounts to the body. Mine does not look like it has ever been tampered with..So like I said. What I do know is that I am very happy with my lens. I have no complains..It focus extremely fast and locks dead on. So what ever they did, I am happy with it...
my interest is mainly how people deal w/ the service center... also curious - did they send you a CD w/ test images ?

but also it is very interesting to know how the replacement of the chip in non SDM lens might make it focus faster... need some input from the crowd here...
09-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote

What does this mean?
lens come and go... typically when you see Cameta Camera dumping something from Sigma - that lens will be gone from their (Sigma) website soon... I purchased 24-135/2.8-4.5 for <= $100 all inclusive ~2 years ago from Cameta and it is gone from the lineup... the same story is w/ 24-60/2.8... 18-50/2.8 that Cameta sells is also v1 not v2 ("Macro")
09-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
good - so it was only a circuit board then... then I wonder how that exactly helps the screwdrive motor to rotate it faster then ? like there is no direct mechanical link between shaft and the actual gear ?
Well, I can see that you are an angry person....I am not a measurabator and or a pixel peeper. What I know is that I was blind and now I can see...They told me they replaced the focusing motor and if that included a circiut board, so be it. What I do know is that it was replaced. How do I now this? Remember that I said I dropped it? Well it had a dink and there is no longer a dink....So continue in your quest to bad mouth Sigma, I am not here to defend them but to simply share with those that there is a fix for this slow focusing lens...
09-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, I can see that you are an angry person.
I am just curious

They told me they replaced the focusing motor
interesting - so SIGMAs (some of them at least) even non SDMs have in-body motors, so the shaft engaged by the camera body does not drive the focusing gear, but rather serves as an input to the motor inside... PS: jgredline - do not take my words as aimed in any way against you... I am really curious about the lens.

So continue in your quest to bad mouth Sigma
now where that comes from ? I do buy Sigma lenses as they are OK for the money - however I am not going to praise something just because I happen to own it... if something is wrong than people must have the right to make an educated choice.

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 09-18-2008 at 10:54 AM.