Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2018, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
FA 50mm vs D-FA★ 50mm review by the CameraVille

Youtube channel “the CameraVille” has made some videos comparing FA 50mm and D-FA★ 50mm. And a quick comparison with Sigma ART.

There is quite a bit pixel peeping. Quick summary, D-FA★ 50mm is noticeably better.

Last edited by Tranzistors; 08-05-2018 at 11:58 PM.
08-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #2

Interesting !
08-06-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one with the Sigma is what everyone wants to know about - I wish he'd spent more time on that - but it confirms what we're seeing here, and it's good that he continues to review Pentax products - obviously spotted a gap in the market
08-06-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow - thanks for posting!
Interesting comparison with Sigma. Also looking at specs:
* Pentax costs 1200, Sigma costs 950 (but then its been on the market for a while now)
* Pentax weighs 910g and Sigma 815g (relatively small difference in the scheme of things)
* Pentax size is 80 x 106mm and Sigma is 85 x 100 (pretty much the same size).
* Pentax fully weather sealed and Sigma not (as far as I know?)

So in comparison pricing is pretty competitive with the Sigma as well (which is saying something).

I'm getting quite interested in this lens!

08-06-2018, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Wow - thanks for posting!
Interesting comparison with Sigma. Also looking at specs:
* Pentax costs 1200, Sigma costs 950 (but then its been on the market for a while now)
* Pentax weighs 910g and Sigma 815g (relatively small difference in the scheme of things)
* Pentax size is 80 x 106mm and Sigma is 85 x 100 (pretty much the same size).
* Pentax fully weather sealed and Sigma not (as far as I know?)

So in comparison pricing is pretty competitive with the Sigma as well (which is saying something).

I'm getting quite interested in this lens!
Yes, well, only one of those lenses will go on your camera, so you don't need to debate yourself, Jono!

Canon and Nikon owners should really consider the Tokina instead of automatically going for the Sigma.

Last edited by clackers; 08-06-2018 at 05:47 PM.
08-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That review video was...uh, weird, but it sounds very promising! I'm looking forward to seeing some hi-res samples from this.
08-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wheatfield related an anecdote on his introductory image thread wherein he spoke with the Sigma Rep when he picked up his *50. The Sigma Rep declared the DFA*50/1.4 is the Category Killer.
08-06-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Better edge, more flare resistence than the Sigma, say no more. Delivered as hoped for.

After looking at the test charts I realized the Sigma was softer on the edges, but still rated "good" or better. Raising the question "will the Pentax be better". Because despite the need for edges "good" or " very good" edges are usually found on lenses with excellent centres. The control of flare and better edges just puts this lens ahead of the class. And that would seem to be what many people are paying for these days.

I am a little curious though, as to why the SIgma folks, with all their loudly proclaimed drive to excellence in their "Art: series., isn't more competitive. As a landscape guy, the Pentax 50 is clearly the better lens to use, both for flare resistance (really important to the landscape photographer bread and butter, sunsets) and edges. Did the Sigma engineers hold back?

I expect Tamron and Sigma to produce just as good lenses for a lot less. Maybe not WR or the same build quality but I expect the optics to hold up, even if they need to be handled with more care.

I'm not rich, but based on this test, were I buying, i would definitely take the Pentax over the Sigma +$250. So I kind wonder where this leaves Sigma? And all those guys who can't stop promoting the Sigma Art series lenses. They are back in their historical place, which was lower price, lower IQ.

It was weird when the Sigma Art series started how long it took the other companies to respond to the challenge. But the disadvantage of being first, if every one else can design to be slightly better than your specs. A go big or go home kind of philosophy. It will be interesting to see how Sigma does, slugging it out with the Tokina version of this lens.

I guess a lot of folks who laid out a grand for the Sigma, now have to re-evaluate their decision. As a landscape shooter, I would be. For the Pentax shooters, patience has paid off, once again. In fact, it's getting to be kind of a theme. Since the K-1 came out there has been a lot less to whine about. Although the 150-600 shooters still have a case.

The question for Sigma now becomes, is $950 too much for "second rate". can they make money on this lens at $600, which is probably the most I'd pay, given the difference in quality.

Last edited by normhead; 08-06-2018 at 07:53 AM.
08-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
Imp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question... Did he put hoods on both lenses? The FA50 might not have one...
08-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I am certain that the comparisons that have been and will be done here will have at least a decent rubber hood on the FA 50, since if you use it, you know it helps a lot.
08-06-2018, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I saw no hood for the SMC 50, and it definitely needs one. But other than that, a very good comparison.
08-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I am a little curious though, as to why the SIgma folks, with all their loudly proclaimed drive to excellence in their "Art: series., isn't more competitive

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
the disadvantage of being first, if every one else can design to be slightly better than your specs.
I think you've answered your question - all Sigma has to be is better than what Canikony already offers (traditionally in price, or with quality in premium lines). The Tokina might hurt them IF the lens coatings do anything like as good a job as the Pentax, otherwise people will probably be happy with what they've got.
08-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The Tokina might hurt them IF the lens coatings do anything like as good a job as the Pentax, otherwise people will probably be happy with what they've got.
Lens coatings are one thing. The edge sharpness is still an issue. People who have the Sigma probably won't buy the new 50, the question is down the line if people are considering a fast 50, will they want the Tokina or the Sigma. It's unlikely the hots shots will accept the edge softness of the Sigma, even if the coatings aren't up to Pentax standards. All they have to match is Sigma's standards for the non-Pentax world.

Same coatings, better edges... looks like winner to me.
It is really interesting. People loudly went to Sigma lenses because Pentax really didn't have a competitor. Now Pentax is putting out the better lens. I wonder how they feel now.

Are there any posts of disappointment loudly wailing about there being no SIgma lenses that match the new Pentax 50 1.4. Or is the wailing just reserved for Pentax product?

Personally, I lost interest in the Sigma 50 1.4 because I do landscape, not portraiture, and I didn't like the edges. It was good enough for a lot of people, it wasn't good enough for a lot of people. Pentax is playing it cosy, by reaching out to the of us for whom the Sigma wasn't good enough as well as providing something for which the Sigma was good enough (out of focus rendering) but the new Pentax wasn't better. Maybe each of those things separately won't make much difference, but taken together, I think they are a pretty compelling package. . Now my only issue is it's too expensive. It's always something.

I need to replace my fast 50 ( it fell out of my camera case). I'd like the new 50, but I may settle for the 55 1.4.I'm not even thinking Sigma. It's too exp[ensive for a lens with this particular deficiencies. The 55 is closer to my price. But then, I decided against the Sigma 50 long ago. Obviously, those who bought it think differently. It's now the save a couple hundred bucks and give up some IQ option.

Last edited by normhead; 08-07-2018 at 09:22 AM.
08-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi all,
If you want a fair comparison between these two lens, put a hood one the FA 50mm F/1.4 ...
Remenber this post, posted by MightyMike :
About Lens Hoods IMPORTANT! - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

The FA is really better with a hood, " improvement in contrast and overall sharpness ".
BR.
Fanfoué.