Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, the Digital Picture review of that Milvus said:

"At f/1.4, you should expect to see a bit of softness in the center of the frame with that quality holding out until near the extreme full frame corner portion of the image circle is reached. A strong improvement is seen in the center of the frame at f/2 and nearly the entire frame is razor sharp at f/2.8 and beyond until the effects of diffraction set in. "
Some people are only critical of Pentax glass. For some, Zeiss lenses are to be worshipped like the golden calf. Not mentioning any names of folks on my ignore list of course.

08-09-2018, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some people are only critical of Pentax glass. For some, Zeiss lenses are to be worshipped like the golden calf. Not mentioning any names of folks on my ignore list of course.
Yeah, they are a legendary manufacturer and obviously make fine products, but as Roger Cicala points out, instead of a Zeiss 85mm f1.4 you can pay similar for the Sigma, and you're actually getting a better lens (looking at the graphs, that includes bokeh rendering) and it autofocuses.

It even 'holds its own' (Cicala's words) against the mighty Zeiss Otus, which would set you back $4500 from B&H.

The DFA* 50 arguably equals or betters the Sigma 50 Art. Any CaNikon gearheads should really consider these Pentax Star primes being licensed by Tokina when they appear (they're branding them 'Opera').
08-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #18

Just read the DPR review on this lens... Same cliché as ever from that site.

08-10-2018, 02:36 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I think the new Pentax primes are/will be quite affordable, given how much time pentax gives us to save for each one.

08-10-2018, 02:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I would expect no less from a $1200 50mm lens. In fact, I'd expect it to make me breakfast. In bed. And nothing instant. Fresh hot waffles and thick-cut bacon and fresh-squeezed orange juice. And real maple syrup and butter.

Honestly. This lens is for rich people. There isn't any level of work that this lens would be a requirement for. Pick up an older 50mm 1.4 and get 90% of the result for 1/10 the cost. As the article states, this is a lens for people with money to burn. Or looking to impress their friends.

That said, the results are stunning. But not stunning enough to justify the cost.
I think the whole point is that people are trying to get medium format quality from full frame cameras and lenses. In order to do that you need lenses that are highly corrected and pretty good sized. But compared to the cost of medium format gear (or even top end full frame glass), it is pretty reasonably priced.

There are still a ton of 50-ish mm lenses that won't break the bank out there, you will just find that they don't have the contrast, flare resistance or wide open performance that this lens has.
08-10-2018, 03:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Good to see a positive review. Refreshing after the anti-Pentax bias of the DPR hands-on one.
08-11-2018, 11:31 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the whole point is that people are trying to get medium format quality from full frame cameras and lenses. In order to do that you need lenses that are highly corrected and pretty good sized. But compared to the cost of medium format gear (or even top end full frame glass), it is pretty reasonably priced.

There are still a ton of 50-ish mm lenses that won't break the bank out there, you will just find that they don't have the contrast, flare resistance or wide open performance that this lens has.
That is something that seems lost on people. Designing a fast lens for digital that can stand up to pixel level scrutiny wide open is not an easy task, nor is it going to be an inexpensive product. If someone wants AF and is willing to take an across the board quality hit, the FA lens is still available brand new.
I don’t understand the carping about the price tag. If it’s too rich for your blood, just move to a lesser product. No drama is required.