Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital Trends DFA*50 review

Not sure if anyone has posed already (not that I can see) but Digital Trends has posted a review of the DFA*50 f1.4:
Pentax HD FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW Review | Digital Trends

Spoiler:
They like it.

08-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not at all fond of 50mm lenses but that pentax lens is one of the best if not the best optically. On a k1 it likely beats the leica , at pentax prices. I may give it a got before christmas.
08-07-2018, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Great to see Pentax (Ricoh) actually getting some credit where it's due!

The review may be a little sparse but overall I'd say it was spot on - I'm not sure what it is they found underwhelming about the K1 mkII (and I'm not interested enough to find out) but I find this pairing a real pleasure to use
08-07-2018, 02:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, already posted elsewhere.
Good to see though

08-07-2018, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would expect no less from a $1200 50mm lens. In fact, I'd expect it to make me breakfast. In bed. And nothing instant. Fresh hot waffles and thick-cut bacon and fresh-squeezed orange juice. And real maple syrup and butter.

Honestly. This lens is for rich people. There isn't any level of work that this lens would be a requirement for. Pick up an older 50mm 1.4 and get 90% of the result for 1/10 the cost. As the article states, this is a lens for people with money to burn. Or looking to impress their friends.

That said, the results are stunning. But not stunning enough to justify the cost.
08-07-2018, 07:28 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I would expect no less from a $1200 50mm lens. In fact, I'd expect it to make me breakfast. In bed. And nothing instant. Fresh hot waffles and thick-cut bacon and fresh-squeezed orange juice. And real maple syrup and butter.

Honestly. This lens is for rich people. There isn't any level of work that this lens would be a requirement for. Pick up an older 50mm 1.4 and get 90% of the result for 1/10 the cost. As the article states, this is a lens for people with money to burn. Or looking to impress their friends.

That said, the results are stunning. But not stunning enough to justify the cost.

(Laughs).

The Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4 is $4000.

I think you have trouble coping with the concept of premium products, Wolfeye.
08-07-2018, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs).

The Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4 is $4000.

I think you have trouble coping with the concept of premium products, Wolfeye.
Premium only means status symbol to me. Not interested. Hence, I own no Leica nor Hasselblad gear. Money to burn indeed!

08-07-2018, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Honestly. This lens is for rich people.
I see your point, and the lens is only one component of a system that cost 6 to 8 times more... price is relative, among other things. Compared to other electronic products, ILC are expensive. Compared to other things such as traveling... is arguable. Depending on the longevity and popularity of the lens mount, the price may be a bargain.... After about 4 to 5 years to using my limited lenses, I sold them the same price I paid new, those lenses costed me nothing. The DFA*50 is not cheap , but it has a lot of glass and very much engineered, for me the biggest problem would be when I get that lens and use it very seldom. I use standard zooms so much more, it is so convenient and image quality on full frame is very good anyway.
08-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly. This lens is for rich people. There isn't any level of work that this lens would be a requirement for. Pick up an older 50mm 1.4 and get 90% of the result for 1/10 the cost. As the article states, this is a lens for people with money to burn. Or looking to impress their friends
I don't buy lenses to impress anyone other than people who appreciate pictures. i don't have money to burn either.

If we all followed your example we would only have screw mount lenses to use.
08-07-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

If I still had my craft show booth functioning 3 or 4 times a year, I'd buy this lens in heart beat. I have no doubt it would pay for itself in a couple of years. But it definitely either a working photographers or rich man's lens. Tess keeps extracting promises I will not order it, every time i mention it. I Just need really good excuse.

"You're not going to buy that re you?"

What I should do is maybe encourage Henry's or someone to order one I can rent for a week.

IN my world, I don't get anything for my images, in my world of 5 years ago, my booth ws set up beside other photographers, and from what I've seen the images from this lens stand out from the crowd.
08-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I still had my craft show booth functioning 3 or 4 times a year, I'd buy this lens in heart beat. I have no doubt it would pay for itself in a couple of years. But it definitely either a working photographers or rich man's lens. Tess keeps extracting promises I will not order it, every time i mention it. I Just need really good excuse.

"You're not going to buy that re you?"

What I should do is maybe encourage Henry's or someone to order one I can rent for a week.

IN my world, I don't get anything for my images, in my world of 5 years ago, my booth ws set up beside other photographers, and from what I've seen the images from this lens stand out from the crowd.
This is true for you.

But to moan as previous posters have done (not you) about this being "a rich mans lens" is a luddite reaction. Progress requires expenditure from the producer. This requires expenditure from the consumer to continue the cycle.This is simple economics, not rocket science.
08-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Not sure if anyone has posed already (not that I can see) but Digital Trends has posted a review of the DFA*50 f1.4:
Pentax HD FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW Review | Digital Trends

Spoiler:
They like it.

One mistake in this review. The author states: "This lens is designed to compete with the likes of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art ($950)". This is incorrect because Sigma does not offer this lens in the Pentax K mount.

My favorite part of this review was when the author said the sweet spot of this lens is f/2! Anybody want to buy a like-new, Leitaxed Zeiss Milus 50/1.4 lens cheap?
08-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

My favorite part of this review was when the author said the sweet spot of this lens is f/2! Anybody want to buy a like-new, Leitaxed Zeiss Milus 50/1.4 lens cheap?
Yeah, the Digital Picture review of that Milvus said:

"At f/1.4, you should expect to see a bit of softness in the center of the frame with that quality holding out until near the extreme full frame corner portion of the image circle is reached. A strong improvement is seen in the center of the frame at f/2 and nearly the entire frame is razor sharp at f/2.8 and beyond until the effects of diffraction set in. "
08-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
But to moan as previous posters have done (not you) about this being "a rich mans lens" is a luddite reaction.
Since I'm living on a pension, and the lens would cost me 3% of my income, I don't think moaning that it's a rich man's lens is totally out of line.

When I was working and had an income over well over 100k it would have been a lot more attractive. Now that's along way from rich. SO ya, the rich man's lens thing is a bit of a stretch, but it is also out of the reach of many of us, working or not.

Last edited by normhead; 08-09-2018 at 10:16 AM.
08-09-2018, 07:36 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

This lens is for anyone who appreciates quality, both optical and mechanical. Yes, it's a little expensive, but real quality is like that. Compared to, for example, the FA 50/1.4 (the only other fast AF 50 available to Pentax users), you are getting probably 75% of the D FA*s result at the FAs best aperture, and significantly less the farther off f/8 you get. The D FA* lens is, quite simply, pro league compared to the FAs little league performance. In side by side comparisons, the D FA outperforms the FA in every single metric by quite a wide margin.
If you care about quality and can afford it, this is an excellent lens, if you care about quality but can't afford it, it is a lens to save for, if you don't care overly about quality, then obviously, the cost cannot be justified.