Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #1

16-50mm DA* decentering?

is there just bad QC on these lenses? I'm testing one at 2.8 and the center sharpness is not very good, but slightly offcenter and the sharpness is amazing. Seems like a decentered lens?

08-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keos Quote
is there just bad QC on these lenses? I'm testing one at 2.8 and the center sharpness is not very good, but slightly offcenter and the sharpness is amazing. Seems like a decentered lens?
Could be decentering, could be the lens is in need of AF adjustments, could be the scene was improperly focused. Only a methodical test will reveal this:

How to Check Your Lens for Decentering - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

While AF failure is the only major QC issue with this lens, it's certainly possible that there's something wrong with your copy. The warranty would cover this.

If it's just a question of AF adjustments, those can usually be handled via the in-camera setting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could be decentering, could be the lens is in need of AF adjustments, could be the scene was improperly focused. Only a methodical test will reveal this:

How to Check Your Lens for Decentering - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

While AF failure is the only major QC issue with this lens, it's certainly possible that there's something wrong with your copy. The warranty would cover this.

If it's just a question of AF adjustments, those can usually be handled via the in-camera setting.
forgot to mention, I'm testing in live view, so focus settings wouldn't help me anyway.
08-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keos Quote
forgot to mention, I'm testing in live view, so focus settings wouldn't help me anyway.
AF fine adjustments wouldn't, but if you are using AF, it's still possible for the camera to focus on something other than intended. Manual focus is a must for this kind of testing, if you aren't using it already.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2018, 04:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post an example?