Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What views on the Sigma APO 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM OS?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone here has tried his/her hands on the new Sigma APO 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM OS? How would you rate this lens against a Sigma 170-500 (now nearly impossible to get new for Pentax mount) or Tamron 200-500 for birds and wildlife? They all fall into more or less the same budget, but I'm tempted by the 120-400's HSM. Of course, OS wont work with our Pentax bodies, but the HSM is desirable and we have SR anyways. Is the extra 100mm in the other two lenses worth losing the HSM and better IQ for? Remember, birds are quite high on my list of subjects!

I'm in a terrible fix here... have been looking in vain for a budget long zoom since a month or more and was denied the 170-500 by Sigma, Japan, who refuse to make a Pentax mount copy unless at least 10 pieces are ordered! I'm being offered a Tamron 200-500 (rated highly in reviews online, much sharper than equivalent Sigmas) but its a little out of my budget, as is the Sigma 150-500, especially after the recent plunge of the INRupee against the USDollar Will the Sigma 120-400 + 1.4X TC be the wiser choice?

I used to shoot with a K 100D and a Tamron 75-300 as my workhorse. I've now graduated to a K 10D body and the Tammy was sold with the K 100D. So I'm desperately looking for some glass so that I can take the K 10D out into the field!

Regards,
Aditya

09-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aditya Panda Quote
Sigma APO 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM OS
Tamron 200-500
Neither of these lenses are available in Pentax mount at the moment.

Thank you
Russell
09-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
RaduA

Aditya,

I have no personal experience with either but you'll may find interesting this dpreview thread: "The Sigma Saga": Sigma SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It's the opinion of a rental agency (the full story and the link to the company are in the thread).

Excerpt: "In the last year, however, things have gotten much, much worse. One third of the Sigma 150-500 and 120-400 lenses we bought were defective out of the box and had to be exchanged. Several more broke during their first and second rentals. New copies of other Sigma lenses showed up with high defective rates out of the box. Repairs have become even slower and now even our routine in-warranty repairs are being refused and billed as ‘customer damage’, even though we’ve never rented them out, simply tested them."

I find it pretty illuminating ...
Radu
09-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Neither of these lenses are available in Pentax mount at the moment.

Thank you
Russell
Dear Russell,

I spoke to Sigma's India distributor and was told that I can get Pentax mount lenses from Sigma (and particularly the 120-400) provided I wait for a month.

Even I was of the idea that the Tamron 200-500 doesn't come in Pentax mount, but my regular dealer tells me that Tamron has just come up with Sony, Minolta and Pentax mounts for its 200-500 and he claims he can get it for me in 3 weeks.

@RaduA: This is news to me. I never thought a company of the repute of Sigma could be capable of this. But again, do I have a choice?!

Last edited by Aditya Panda; 09-20-2008 at 01:40 PM.
09-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Dear Russell,

I spoke to Sigma's India distributor and was told that I can get Pentax mount lenses from Sigma (and particularly the 120-400) provided I wait for a month.

Even I was of the idea that the Tamron 200-500 doesn't come in Pentax mount, but my regular dealer tells me that Tamron has just come up with Sony, Minolta and Pentax mounts for its 200-500 and he claims he can get it for me in 3 weeks.
Looking at the manufacturer's web pages for the lenses, they show no Pentax support.

I tend to want to see more than one vendor selling an item, or see it in person, before spending my money. The photo business in the US just seems too close to car sales in practice for me.

As to Sigma or any other brand being bad mouthed on the internet, paying someone to post negative remarks in a forum is both really cheap and effective. Verifying who someone is or isn't on the internet is pretty problematic to say the least. Verifying that something posted is also true, is pretty much impossible as well.

Thank you
Russell
09-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Russell,

You've made some important points here.

What other options, in the same budget, do I have here?

Regards,
Aditya
09-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What other options, in the same budget, do I have here?
I've had to learn, after putting my foot in my mouth, that prices around the world are pretty irregular. I have no idea of the cost of lenses outside of the US.

Even with that said, there aren't a lot of choices for new lenses over 300mm in Pentax mount. The Sigma 50-500mm is about the only one I can think of around US $1000. The others avialable are multiple thousands, so I not much help with my limited knowledge.

Buying a 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma or Tamron and a 2x TC, buying the Pentax 200mm f2.8 and 2x TC, buying the Pentax 300mm f4 and 1.5x TC, all get you around 400mm at f5.6. Is that better than the Sigma 50-500mm, I have no idea?

I'm sure there will be more options sooner or later, but for now it seems to me, long lenses are a weak spot in the Pentax ecosystem.

Thank you
Russell
09-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Russell. I'm forcibly exploring my choices in 70-200 f/2.8 + 2X TC options now... Sigma seems to be the best bet there I guess...

Yeah, that's the sad truth about Pentax- lots of torture to us wildlife photographing Pentaxians! Sigma has discontinued the very few 500mm zoom options for Pentax... just checked out their updated website. The 50-500 is the only one available, but without HSM for Pentax

Regards,
Aditya

09-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Aditya,

I have no personal experience with either but you'll may find interesting this dpreview thread: "The Sigma Saga": Sigma SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It's the opinion of a rental agency (the full story and the link to the company are in the thread).

Excerpt: "In the last year, however, things have gotten much, much worse. One third of the Sigma 150-500 and 120-400 lenses we bought were defective out of the box and had to be exchanged. Several more broke during their first and second rentals. New copies of other Sigma lenses showed up with high defective rates out of the box. Repairs have become even slower and now even our routine in-warranty repairs are being refused and billed as ‘customer damage’, even though we’ve never rented them out, simply tested them."

I find it pretty illuminating ...
Radu
I read that yesterday as well, and really don't know what to think.

Most other posters in that thread say they've had good luck with Sigma, and I highly doubt that they are lying.
And I know that LensRental wouldn't be lying either. My guess is that they're just having a string of bad luck

I've had bad luck with Toyota cars, and Shimano bicycle parts, and I couldn't say the company only sold junk.
I won't buy anything with either of their names on again, even though most people say they make the best.

Personally, I've never had a problem with anything made by Sigma, although my equipment is tested before I receive it now.
The store I get it from does have to return the odd lens here and there, however they always get good service from Gentec the Canadian distributor.
02-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Forum Member

Sorry for digging this thread up
the Sigma 150-500 HSM and 120-400HSM both were reviewed on this forum by El-gulfer and Ivoire.

I have checked with my local Tamron dealers and (like Aditya Panda) he also confirm me that I can have a tamron 200-500 for Pentax if I make a preorder. He indicated that even Tamron does not include the production of Pentax mount for the 200-500 on the web site nor catalogue , he surely will get it for me ??? the price is approx $1100+