Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
...quick shift seems key here. With the SIGMA I would need to switch the camera from auto to MF, but with the Pentax, I could AF, but just take over with MF, which seems useful in a macro lens.
Quick shift may or may not provide the manual override utility you might be expecting. Much depends on how your AF is configured* and the subject. To be honest, it is not a feature that I have used much for my style of photography. OTOH, most macro lenses are optimized for manual focus (have long focus throw and well-controlled lash) and work quite well in that mode as the default.

Steve

* If configured for focus priority, one may end up in a fight with the AF system to maintain the override.

08-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW, be sure of whether you foresee a need to have an aperture ring.
I do still shoot film, but I don't feel the need to shoot macro on film. Too many missed shots for one thing.
I was not referring specifically to film photography, but instead was thinking about use with extension rings or bellows for extreme macro. That being said, it is sort of nice to be able to use one's macro lens for film work on non-A contact bodies if the need arises. FWIW, I have not had a problem with missed close-up or macro shots on film, but have never really thought about it either.

If you really like the Sigma and the price is right, it is hard to go wrong with that lens. You will always be able to sell at a decent price if it does not work out for you.

Steve
08-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The Sigma 70 is hard to come by in Pentax mount. If you don't pick up this one, there isn't likely to be another cross your path anytime soon. I have one, and it really is one of the very best lenses ever made. I have the 77 also, and if I had to sell one or the other, I'd have to flip a coin. I don't do much macro, and I keep the Sigma because I love the rendering. The biggest reason the 77 gets more time in my bag is because it is lighter.
That's some serious high praise. Nice to know.
08-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was not referring specifically to film photography, but instead was thinking about use with extension rings or bellows for extreme macro. That being said, it is sort of nice to be able to use one's macro lens for film work on non-A contact bodies if the need arises. FWIW, I have not had a problem with missed close-up or macro shots on film, but have never really thought about it either.

Steve
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to say that there is some relationship between me missing focus on macro shots and film, but simply that I tend to take a lot of macro shots to get a few keepers. Cheaper to do that digitally, than with film, but that's a pilot issue, not equipment.

08-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to say that there is some relationship between me missing focus on macro shots and film, but simply that I tend to take a lot of macro shots to get a few keepers. Cheaper to do that digitally, than with film, but that's a pilot issue, not equipment.
I own the both. I bought the Sigma 70 after reading the praise from photozone review :Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro - Full Format Lab Test / Review - Analysis
It does not disappoint me. Very sharp, nice rendering and nice bokeh. Two years later I bought the Pentax 100 for a very cheap price. I like them both and each time I have trouble to choose which one to mount on my camera. I'd say Sigma 70 is better for bokeh, and the Pentax is better when you need to keep a longer distance from the object you are shooting, such as an insect, due to its longer focus length than the Sigma.
Summary: you just grab what comes first at a good price!

Last edited by David L; 08-13-2018 at 12:10 AM.
08-13-2018, 04:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma and love it. I will probably get the Pentax 100mm AW as well at some point for the extra reach.

But if you have the Sigma available for a good price, grab it!
08-13-2018, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

I have the non-WR DFA100mm macro, which I love, and have never seen the sigma. The sigmas reputation is great, and it sounds like you've found a great copy at a great price, so I say:

1) Buy the sigma now.
2) Save up and buy the dfa100mm with the intent of selling the one you like least.
3) Keep both.

08-13-2018, 05:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I have 5 macro lenses, and each has its specific characteristics:
- HD35/2.8: To me this is more a close focus general purpose walk around lens than a dedicated macro. I rarely move close enough for 1:1, but great since there's no practical close focus limit, which allows more creativity.

- FA50/2.8: Similar use to the HD35, only tighter frame. I often use it when shooting in a garden when there are flowers to be photographed.

- Laowa/Venus 60/2.8: only use it for closer than 1:1, must admit I rarely use it.

- DFA100/2.8: Most general application as a macro. Long enough for some shy subjects, and allows you to get a little distance for flowers etc. Nice reach for a mild general purpose tele lens.

- Sigma EX180/3.5: specific for insects and shy living subject matter. My favorite in rain forest since it can double as a mild wildlife telephoto in tight surroundings.

For me the choice would never be about specific optical characteristics, but about perspective and reach, i.e. the actual millimeters take precedence in my decision which macro lens to take in my bag.

A 70mm macro would sit between the 50mm and the 100mm in use. I would probably be more practical for garden photography (flowers and plants) without too many wildlife subjects. For small insects you would have to go too close and for butterflies etc it's not long enough. 100mm is going to be more of a all-in-one macro. But if you're looking for a lens to shoot insects and alike, I would even look for longer than 100mm... Though I'm not sure longer macros are still available new for Pentax...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 08-13-2018 at 05:18 AM.
08-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I have 5 macro lenses, and each has its specific characteristics:
- HD35/2.8: To me this is more a close focus general purpose walk around lens than a dedicated macro. I rarely move close enough for 1:1, but great since there's no practical close focus limit, which allows more creativity.

- FA50/2.8: Similar use to the HD35, only tighter frame. I often use it when shooting in a garden when there are flowers to be photographed.

- Laowa/Venus 60/2.8: only use it for closer than 1:1, must admit I rarely use it.

- DFA100/2.8: Most general application as a macro. Long enough for some shy subjects, and allows you to get a little distance for flowers etc. Nice reach for a mild general purpose tele lens.

- Sigma EX180/3.5: specific for insects and shy living subject matter. My favorite in rain forest since it can double as a mild wildlife telephoto in tight surroundings.

For me the choice would never be about specific optical characteristics, but about perspective and reach, i.e. the actual millimeters take precedence in my decision which macro lens to take in my bag.

A 70mm macro would sit between the 50mm and the 100mm in use. I would probably be more practical for garden photography (flowers and plants) without too many wildlife subjects. For small insects you would have to go too close and for butterflies etc it's not long enough. 100mm is going to be more of a all-in-one macro. But if you're looking for a lens to shoot insects and alike, I would even look for longer than 100mm... Though I'm not sure longer macros are still available new for Pentax...

Wim
A D FA* 180mm macro plus a FF teleconverter would be awesome!

08-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not as big a fan of the 100mm as a telephoto. Maybe just because my setup is all geared to macro and I'm not changing settings often. I would not see a reason to have both, they're pretty close in FL and likely in performance. I'd put the extra money to something with even more reach, like a DA200 or DA300 if you want some great performance almost macro-like at its minimum focus distance.

I was considering finding a Sigma 180mm until I pulled the trigger on this DA300. Now, there's no point. The 300 is a pleasure.
08-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'm not as big a fan of the 100mm as a telephoto. Maybe just because my setup is all geared to macro and I'm not changing settings often. I would not see a reason to have both, they're pretty close in FL and likely in performance. I'd put the extra money to something with even more reach, like a DA200 or DA300 if you want some great performance almost macro-like at its minimum focus distance.

I was considering finding a Sigma 180mm until I pulled the trigger on this DA300. Now, there's no point. The 300 is a pleasure.

Have you linked your 300 with the Canon 77mm Close-up Lens 500D to see what results may ensue?
08-13-2018, 01:22 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Have you linked your 300 with the Canon 77mm Close-up Lens 500D to see what results may ensue?
Took the words out of my mouth!

I have the 77mm 500D and the 62mm Nikon 6T and 4T? (I forget which ones) that I use on my DA* 200. I need to get a step ring to try on my FA* 300 (67mm) as well.

Here are a couple of examples. The Moth was shot handheld.

08-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you'll probably have to end up with one of the Pentax 100mm macros, as I just don't see too many copies of the Sigma floating around. The 100s are all good. I own the WR one. It is a nice tightly made lens with weather sealing, good sharpness and colors, 49mm filter size, and quick shift. Biggest negatives are the lack of a focus limiter and slow-ish auto focus, particularly if it misses. I think one of the older Pentax 100s has a focus limiter, which would help.

It really is tough to go wrong with a macro lens -- they all have flat fields and excellent sharpness. The biggest thing is to pick the focal length that works best for your application (longer is better if you plan to shoot bugs).
08-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I don't have any of that gear.
I do have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 Macro which is very nice and focuses extremely close. Not quite as useful for insects in the field, though...
08-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #30
pxt

I have 100 WR from Pentax. Test in rain - only you have remove water by rotate distance from min to max with some deducated lens clean matetial. Around scale window cut water get in. It is not issue, because this part rotate when you focusing. I think remove water from here protect from fungus. At the summary conpactness and WR are real advantage in rainy day.