Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax 100 vs Sigma 70 Macro

Has anyone used both of these lenses enough to compare and contrast?

I deliberately didn't say which Pentax 100 Macro, I mean any of the autofocus ones, I guess, it seems their optical formulas are the same or consistent enough that they are comparable. I would be inclined toward either the F series or the WR model.

I get that 70mm and 100mm are different and there is a totally valid question of why I think I need a macro lens. For some reason, I do, but I want to use it as a telephoto as well.

I have a line on a really clean Sigma at the moment and I was able to mount and shoot with it a bit yesterday and was really kind of taken with it. Autofocus was fast enough to use as a telephoto and there was a fantastic 3D pop and sharpness to it that was noticeable, even on the camera's LCD screen and better still when I got it into Lightroom. I was able to handhold some simple 1:1 Macro as well. It's priced well and I am tempted to pick it up.

But, I've never used one of the Pentax models other than an M100/4 1:2 macro, which was very good for what it was.

To complicate things, I'm shooting with an aging K5ii, but haven't decided yet if my eventual body upgrade will be the K3 heir or K1.

Any experience, opinion and input is appreciated.

08-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and don't forget, if you are looking at that focal range, that Tamron makes a very good 90mm f2.8 macro, along with the now-only-used Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro...
08-12-2018, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If 70mm works for you, the Sigma is one of the best macros ever made. Really outstanding. (One note about the Sigma -- it has no aperture ring.) But that said, most macros are pretty high-quality, they have to be. So I'd just choose the one (if it can be only one) with the focal length that is going to suit you best. Still, a good price on the Sigma, which is getting harder to find, I think I'd grab it now and worry about whether it was the absolute best choice later. You can always sell it, but I don't think you'll want to.
08-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
True, I've never shot with either of those. The Sigma 105, if it renders like this 70 would have some appeal.

But, this particular bird-in-the-hand 70 is here, in great condition, and priced right. It would (in theory) replace my existing MF macro and my DA70. I was really taken with the photos, especially as a telephoto, but rather than wondering about all other options (I've owned a string good, legacy, MF Macros), wondering if not letting this one go vs stepping up to an AF Pentax 100mm lens would be worth consideration.

I assume that (focal length/working distance aside) Macro quality is similar. Wondering about AF and rendering as a telephoto lens.

08-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@normhead has both the D-FA 100 and the Sigma 70 and he started a poll comparing 4 macro lenses. My two cents is that on an APS-C camera 100mm is more of a telephoto focal length and 70mm is more suitable for portraits, but I don't know the type of pictures you want to take that you can't take with the lenses you currently have, as well as you do. The D-FA 100 also has the benefits of being relatively compact for a 1:1 macro lens at this focal length and being weather resistant. I guess the question for you to answer is what are those benefits worth to you?

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
It would (in theory) replace my existing MF macro and my DA70.
Unless you are looking for an excuse to get rid of your DA 70, the Sigma 70 doesn't give you very much that you don't already have. You may find that auto focus isn't as useful for macro work as you might think and the DA 70 is an excellent lens for that focal length with a half-stop wider aperture, excellent bokeh and pretty good flare resistance.
08-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I'll stay tuned.
08-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the sigma 70 not the pentax 100.
I can point out some things. The sigma is sharp and accurate. I have done lots of macro this year with it shooting insects. Focus tends to focus in then back out so if you want to back off focus it takes forever. If it had quick shift it wouldn't be a problem. It also doesn't have wr. It stay pretty sharp up to f16 and at f19 with pp.

08-12-2018, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

if I had the DA 70 Limited (I do), I would not be looking to replace it for any reason.... keeping the DA 70 alongside the Sigma 70 should not be an issue...
08-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It would (in theory) replace my existing MF macro and my DA70.
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if I had the DA 70 Limited (I do), I would not be looking to replace it for any reason.... keeping the DA 70 alongside the Sigma 70 should not be an issue...
Whilst it's certainly possible that the Sigma 70mm macro could replace the DA70, I have my doubts - though I'd be happy to be proved wrong. I don't own the Sigma, but I do own the DA70, and I fully understand why it was such a close runner-up in tests against the legendary FA77. It's a truly excellent lens if the focal length and maximum aperture works for you, especially in terms of overall rendering. If the Sigma can match it in the same applications, kudos to the designer... But, like I said, I have my doubts. I'm more open to the idea that they'd be complementary...
08-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the DA 70 (HD) and the DFA 100 WR. They are very different, and I'd really hate having only one or them.

The DA 70 is so compact and unassuming looking it is easy to put your subject at rest. I'm not familiar with that 70 macro, so I can't say if it would suffer in comparison. I wish I could more directly help.
08-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I own the DA 70 and it's a good lens, though I don't reach for it all that often. I should probably single it for a month. No issues with it. I have to say though that the Sigma 70 really popped and had some 3D effect that I don't see in the DA70, which just a few casual shots in and around the shop.

All this may have to wait, though because my camera is acting up and may need to go away for some service or it may be time to get off of the upgrade fence.
08-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Whilst it's certainly possible that the Sigma 70mm macro could replace the DA70, I have my doubts - though I'd be happy to be proved wrong. I don't own the Sigma, but I do own the DA70, and I fully understand why it was such a close runner-up in tests against the legendary FA77. It's a truly excellent lens if the focal length and maximum aperture works for you, especially in terms of overall rendering. If the Sigma can match it in the same applications, kudos to the designer... But, like I said, I have my doubts. I'm more open to the idea that they'd be complementary...
If this works from my phone here is closest I have of sigma 70 to pentax 77.
gorilla | swanlefitte | Flickr
the-glorious-horse | swanlefitte | Flickr
08-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

True, I've never shot with either of those. The Sigma 105, if it renders like this 70 would have some appeal.
Sigma's test data (when both lenses were current) indicated that the 70 was the best in their line and would be my choice unless one needs the extra working distance that the 105 might provide in which case the Pentax option might be better. BTW, be sure of whether you foresee a need to have an aperture ring.

Steve
08-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sigma's test data (when both lenses were current) indicated that the 70 was the best in their line and would be my choice unless one needs the extra working distance that the 105 might provide in which case the Pentax option might be better. BTW, be sure of whether you foresee a need to have an aperture ring.

Steve
I do still shoot film, but I don't feel the need to shoot macro on film. Too many missed shots for one thing.

I really like that SIGMA and this seems to be a great copy and under-priced, so it's hard not to just buy and sell it here later if my tastes change. that said, I kind of suspect that there might be bit more utility with the current Pentax lens. WR in general is very important to me, but not necessarily with every lens, but quick shift seems key here. With the SIGMA I would need to switch the camera from auto to MF, but with the Pentax, I could AF, but just take over with MF, which seems useful in a macro lens.

But, as I said above, I may need to either send my K5ii off for service or prioritize a new body because I've been chasing some gremlins and today I was un-operational for several hours.
08-12-2018, 08:57 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

The Sigma 70 is hard to come by in Pentax mount. If you don't pick up this one, there isn't likely to be another cross your path anytime soon. I have one, and it really is one of the very best lenses ever made. I have the 77 also, and if I had to sell one or the other, I'd have to flip a coin. I don't do much macro, and I keep the Sigma because I love the rendering. The biggest reason the 77 gets more time in my bag is because it is lighter.