Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I'm not sure I want to "settle" (no offense to anyone) on consumer-grade for the last lens in my kit
I'm not offended in the least. And I don't even have a 55-300 - I use the "lowly" 50-200, as well as some MF primes that I *love*.

But - "last lens in my kit"? No offense, but *man* are you naive ... :-)

09-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, yeah, I know. I guess I mean "the lens that will cover all of my focal lengths and shooting styles until something better comes out...and I can afford it."

I'm not a lens "collector" so I don't want any overlap that I don't need (like, for instance, having the DA 12-24 and the DA* 16-50...too much overlap, I can only use one lens at a time) and I want to keep my kit small in numbers and mostly portable. But, if a lens comes along that is better than what I have and I can afford it, I'll try to get it. Right now, I feel like the DA 12-24, DA 35 and Tam 28-75 are as good as any lenses I can get in that length. I'd like to do the same with my telezoom, but this is the crux of my problem: I don't know what is "best" for me for what I can afford...speed? reach?

I'm really leaning toward the 55-300 now because I shoot wildlife and sports occasionally, not regularly. It might be silly to spend $700 for that. Plus, if I went 55-300 I could use the rest of the budget to upgrade to K20. Or, I could sell the tamron, get the DA* 50-135 (too short for wildlife and a lot of sports) and rent the DA*300 for wildlife when I go on National Park trips. Or...you see what I'm getting at?

Todd