Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by NedKelly Quote
yeah it is indeed going to be heavy. This is why I am concerned that a soft back back style bag is not the way to go here. I think a hard shell bag will give it the support it needs. Plus the lens can lay horizontal then.

This is probably about the heaviest lens I have ever come across, so its a special case (excuse the pun). Going to have to give this some thought.
Understood. But do note that the bag I linked is a frame pack not a simple soft bag. Those style backpacks are meant to be used with these weight loads. Adding adequate foam padding is step 1. You could also just build a hard case (complete with cut outs and padding) that fits inside this style bag. I'm still really unclear how carrying the lens vertically is a problem. With your investment I understand the need for caution - too bad no one out there can likely confirm the way Pentax would have recommended carrying it.

08-14-2018, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm, I maybe missing parts here... it had no rear lens cap with it.
It's right at the end of the lens mount, inside the lens. The 6x7 800/4 is not listed, but it's the same as the 6x7 600/4.

Phil.
Attached Images

Last edited by gofour3; 08-14-2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added photo
08-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Understood. But do note that the bag I linked is a frame pack not a simple soft bag. Those style backpacks are meant to be used with these weight loads. Adding adequate foam padding is step 1. You could also just build a hard case (complete with cut outs and padding) that fits inside this style bag. I'm still really unclear how carrying the lens vertically is a problem. With your investment I understand the need for caution - too bad no one out there can likely confirm the way Pentax would have recommended carrying it.
I think you may be right. A pack with a frame would work. Lots of thought needed here.

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It's right at the end of the lens mount, inside the lens. The 6x7 800/4 is not listed, but it's the same as the 6x7 600/4.

Phil.
You are correct. It is indeed there. You screw it out from the back. So, what you are saying is a 77mm filter screws onto that thread and the filter is in the back ? WOW strange system. But if that's how they do it, well that's how they do it.

So then I can use ND filters after all.

Big learning curve with this lens ahead.

P.S - on this lens that filter thread has never had anything attached to it, so looks like a rear filter was never used on this lens.

P.P.S - found this http://skrasnov.com/blog/pentax-67/bayonet-mount-filters/

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 10:47 AM ----------

what are the highest quality ND filters that could be fitted to this lens?

All of a sudden broad daylight hours long exposures have just become possible with this lens. I really thought I would never get an ND on it.

Does the position of the ND in the back have any ill effect on image at all compared to the normal fitting the ND to the front of the lens?

Last edited by NedKelly; 08-14-2018 at 10:32 AM.
08-14-2018, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what are the highest quality ND filters that could be fitted to this lens?

All of a sudden broad daylight hours long exposures have just become possible with this lens. I really thought I would never get an ND on it.

Does the position of the ND in the back have any ill effect on image at all compared to the normal fitting the ND to the front of the lens?
Yep the lens was designed for filters to be used in the rear mount and nothing to the front. Any screw-in ND filter can be used on this lens, use you favourite brand. I use Schneider B+W brand. (MRC)

Phil.

08-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep the lens was designed for filters to be used in the rear mount and nothing to the front. Any screw-in ND filter can be used on this lens, use you favourite brand. I use Schneider B+W brand. (MRC)

Phil.
I'd guess polarizers and graduated ND where the line isn't desired to be horizontal will be complicated but everything else should be pretty easy.
08-15-2018, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I assume that you have a tripod that is up to the job. Please tell us about that. It sounds like another good story.

Here is something I found on the web. Only a 600mm f/4, though.

600mm - Luminous Landscape
08-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I assume that you have a tripod that is up to the job. Please tell us about that. It sounds like another good story.

Nope - no support for this lens at all - none whatsoever. Recommend a solution to me please.

I am interested in getting one of these jobs done to the lens ... LensCoat® Pentax SMC 1000mm F8.0, LensCoat ..... thats a different lens of course. I'm pretty stupid because I should have sent the lens for a CLA and a lens coat BEFORE it came over here. Duh ! yeah call me dopey! I just never thought of that while it was still in the USA.

P.S Wasp - I see you are in Pretoria. I am in Lusaka. So that's at least 2 hard core Pentaxians in Africa!

08-15-2018, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep that's also what I'm using for a tripod (Manfrotto 028B) on my 600/4 (different head though), as well as the same Manfrotto 359 long lens support:

Anyone considering the use of a really large lens like this needs to be prepared to purchase, or must already own a number of associated items that are absolute musts. Foremost among these are a large stable tripod. I already owned a Manfrotto 028 which I’ve used over the years for large format work.

I’ve read some comments on the Net that the Pentax 67 / 600mm f/4 combination needs the use of two tripods for proper vibration-free stability. This strikes me as the comment of someone who has never taken a photograph on location in the real world. In fact the lens’ manual suggests this as a vibration solution, and is likely the original source of the idea. Maybe this makes sense when testing at the factory, but this approach is simply a non-starter in the real world. Bad advice. Ignore it.

There’s a much simpler yet equally effective solution, the Manfrotto #359 Long-lens Camera Support. This is an inexpensive telescoping arm with a small ballhead at one end and a C-Clamp at the other. With the lens attached to the gimbal mount on the tripod, you then attach the small ballhead at one end of the arm directly to the camera. The C-Clamp at the other end of the arm attaches to one of the tripod legs.Voila. Essentially the equivalent of two tripods in terms of stability, yet a system that hardly restricts motion and versatility. The telescoping aspect of the arm along with the swiveling ability ballhead allows you to swing the lens though a wide arc of motion, horizontally and vertically. When your shot is framed just tighten two knobs on the arm and the system has full rigidity. With two separate points of attachment for the combined body / lens combination, rigidity is much enhanced, and there is no danger of a pendulum effect from having a heavy body hanging off the end of a large lens.

Phil.
08-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone considering the use of a really large lens like this needs to be prepared to purchase, or must already own a number of associated items that are absolute musts. Foremost among these are a large stable tripod.
I had to read to the end, but I thought it was interesting that Mr. Reichmann gave up on his 600mm f4 in the end, not for issues with image quality, but because it was too big and heavy for hauling around on wildlife shooting trips.

There is another way to look at the problem of hauling all this equipment. Put everything (food, shelter, even photographic equipment) in large, durable plastic crates and affix all of your goods to one of these foldable kayak or canoe trolleys. You can pull a surprising amount of freight behind you and you don't have to worry about falling with a 60 pound pack on your back.

Just thought of one more thing: accept that expensive damage or loss is always a possibility and purchase insurance accordingly.
08-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I had to read to the end, but I thought it was interesting that Mr. Reichmann gave up on his 600mm f4 in the end, not for issues with image quality, but because it was too big and heavy for hauling around on wildlife shooting trips.
I don't go too far with my 6x7 600/4 or my K1000/8, as the metal trunks are big and heavy. I do have a small folding hand cart I use, but it's still not fun lugging this gear around. I mostly shoot ships on the Vancouver waterfront, so parking is close by and I don't have to walk far.

Phil.
08-15-2018, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #41

Original Poster
I don't go too far with my 6x7 600/4 or my K1000/8, as the metal trunks are big and heavy. I do have a small folding hand cart I use, but it's still not fun lugging this gear around. I mostly shoot ships on the Vancouver waterfront, so parking is close by and I don't have to walk far.

Phil.
I've got someone to carry mine. So that aspect is sorted. Still trying to figure out how to travel with it though in terms of bag/padding. Thinking of CNC cutting foam for it to sit in.

Wife, spotted it today. She commented....gee is that lens big....I've not seen you use that one before.....I assured her its just because her Nikon lenses are really small ;-)
08-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nope - no support for this lens at all - none whatsoever. Recommend a solution to me please.

Here is the head pictured above (also see the link in my post):

Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley Gimbal Head

The Wimberley Gimbal Head is not cheap at $595 (excluding tripod) but it does things that others can't.

P.S Wasp - I see you are in Pretoria. I am in Lusaka. So that's at least 2 hard core Pentaxians in Africa!
Yip, just a few (thousand) miles down the road, hehehe. There a few other South Africans lurking here, though.
08-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #43

Original Poster
Here is the head pictured above (also see the link in my post):

Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley Gimbal Head

The Wimberley Gimbal Head is not cheap at $595 (excluding tripod) but it does things that others can't.

Yip, just a few (thousand) miles down the road, hehehe. There a few other South Africans lurking here, though.

2100 Klms Jozie -> LSK

I really need to start looking at tripods as well. Just to use it in the garden will be a good first start, much less try to get fancy too soon and go bush with it. Its a crazy lens. The weight is just madness. Not to worry, we'll learn to cope.
08-15-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An Overview of the Best Tripods and Heads for Nature Photographers- The Canadian Nature Photorapher

This looks helpful.
08-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #45

Original Poster
Damm, damm, damm....I've done it again. I bought another Digital Back....... this time a Phase One H20 38mm x 38mm square sensor Fat Pixel back.....

Yes I know its tethered only, but I want to be tethered.

To get this back behind the 800mm f4 I now need another Alpa FPS adapter - ALPA backadapter HAA

If I dont stop this, I am going to go blind!

This is an expensive way to go blind !