Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's an impressive acquisition indeed. I can't wait to see some pictures. Good luck and congrats

08-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MFD of 20 Meters! 39 pounds of sweet F4 goodness!
08-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #18

Original Poster
By all reports (in fact just about every one I have read) indicate significant LoCA. I am guessing that in this day and age this can be effectively dealt with in post. It is only reported as "acceptable" at f4 for sharpness becoming very good at f11 and excellent at f22.

Yes that 20m min focus is a factor to take into account, but for compressed landscape a non issue.

I cant do anything with this lens until two things happen - I get my Alpa 6x7 Pentax adapter (ordered) and lens support.

The case it came in is pretty much ruined. I need a new case for it, so been looking for something I can carry it in the field with. The closest I can come to in terms of dimensions is this one 4Xpandable, LensCoat and even that its not a wide enough diameter (close but still a little too tight - need another inch)

Even then, I am not sure that this bag gives that much protection as its sift sided.

Maybe I will need to put this lens in a pelican case ? I remember seeing a back pack harness setup for a pelican case somewhere some time ago. None of the usual bag manufacturers have a lens case big enough to house this lens.

Would a Wimberley head be the best setup for this lens? Which tripod? open to any and all suggestions.
08-14-2018, 03:59 AM   #19
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What an awesome lens. I guess you can expect to see quite a bit of atmospheric refraction with this lens. That can be interesting in compressed landscapes.

08-14-2018, 04:22 AM   #20

Original Poster
@PJ1

Aiming to use this lens mostly in low light, so Golden hour and Blue Hour. I am interested in very long exposures. So a number of things all come together to help with this, since I dont like my chances of finding an ND filter for the 9" front element.

This lens is reported as "Excellent" by f22. Thats about as far as I would want to stop down because of diffraction. This is where the 22MP fat pixel back really helps. They are all ISO 25 and dont like being pushed. ISO 25 and f22 in lowish light should slow the shutter down a bit I think. 22MP is a great size sensor for stopping down and pushing onto the edges of diffraction without losing too much sharpness. So it seems like it may work out. Wont know till I do it.

But before I get that far I need to figure out how to house this beast. I have pretty much ruled out any sort of back back type carrying style - cant find anything this lens will fit in! Looks like I will have to go the Pelican route (or similar).

I will be....Learning to enjoy the pain from carrying this beast into the bush......... This is sadomasochistic photography at its best !

Last edited by NedKelly; 08-14-2018 at 08:40 AM.
08-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NedKelly Quote
lens support.
You probably will also need support on the camera end.

The case it came in is pretty much ruined.
My 6x7 600/4 trunk was also damaged and I took it to a luggage repair shop. They redid the rivets, put new rubber feet on the bottom of the case and re-glued some of the interior lining that was loose. Looks perfect now!

since I dont like my chances of finding an ND filter for the 9" front element.
This lens uses 77mm filters (screw-in or 6x7 bayonet) on a removable rear filter holder.

Phil.
08-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

This lens uses 77mm filters (screw-in or 6x7 bayonet) on a removable rear filter holder.

Phil.
Any further info on this? I dont know anything about these filters/system.

08-14-2018, 08:44 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Based on the weight, I think you qualify as about 10 Pentaxians.
08-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@PJ1

Aiming to use this lens mostly in low light, so Golden hour and Blue Hour. I am interested in very long exposures. So a number of things all come together to help with this, since I dont like my chances of finding an ND filter for the 9" front element.

This lens is reported as "Excellent" by f22. Thats about as far as I would want to stop down because of diffraction. This is where the 22MP fat pixel back really helps. They are all ISO 25 and dont like being pushed. ISO 25 and f22 in lowish light should slow the shutter down a bit I think. 22MP is a great size sensor for stopping down and pushing onto the edges of diffraction without losing too much sharpness. So it seems like it may work out. Wont know till I do it.

But before I get that far I need to figure out how to house this beast. I have pretty much ruled out any sort of back back type carrying style - cant find anything this lens will fit in! Looks like I will have to go the Pelican route (or similar).

I will be....Learning to enjoy the pain from carrying this beast into the bush......... This is sadomasochistic photography at its best !
My guess is that you will need something like this: amazon.com: Mountain-climbing Backpack , Waterproof Large Capacity 60L Rucksacks Hiking Backpack Internal Frame Backpack for Travel Climbing Camping Mountaineering with Rain Cover , Maleroads (green): Sports & Outdoors?tag=pentaxforums-20&

You'll need to build your own custom insert for it that adds the padding you need to protect the gear and yourself. Perhaps some light but dense foam padding like people use to stand on - I've seen video's of people using it make bag inserts. Perhaps some of the foam people sleep on while camping would also work. Essentially you can probably buy a simple insert for the camera and backs and then build a huge central insert to house the lens itself. The waterproof backpack is probably a must given the investment. The lens is going to push 40lbs by itself so this is going to be a heavy pack.
08-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What does the lens say on the front? SMC Pentax-6x7 / S-M-C Takumar 6x7 / Takumar 6x7 800mm F4 Reviews - 67 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database It would be cool to find the elusive SMC version.
08-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What does the lens say on the front? SMC Pentax-6x7 / S-M-C Takumar 6x7 / Takumar 6x7 800mm F4 Reviews - 67 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database It would be cool to find the elusive SMC version.
Its only the common one. Super Multi Coated Takumar.

Looks like I will have to keep scanning evil bay forever looking for the SMC version.

Strangely, I am getting used to the weight and handling now. I've polished it about 200 times in the last 24 hours.
08-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

c
Any further info on this? I dont know anything about these filters/system.
Remove the rear lens cap and check for a removable metal filter holder. Turn it to counter clockwise to remove.

Phil.
08-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #28

Original Poster
My guess is that you will need something like this: amazon.com: Mountain-climbing Backpack , Waterproof Large Capacity 60L Rucksacks Hiking Backpack Internal Frame Backpack for Travel Climbing Camping Mountaineering with Rain Cover , Maleroads (green): Sports & Outdoors?tag=pentaxforums-20&

You'll need to build your own custom insert for it that adds the padding you need to protect the gear and yourself. Perhaps some light but dense foam padding like people use to stand on - I've seen video's of people using it make bag inserts. Perhaps some of the foam people sleep on while camping would also work. Essentially you can probably buy a simple insert for the camera and backs and then build a huge central insert to house the lens itself. The waterproof backpack is probably a must given the investment. The lens is going to push 40lbs by itself so this is going to be a heavy pack.

I am a bit concerned about carrying it in a back back style bag as the lens will be pointing down - what will support it ? I dont want all that weight on the front lens shade that pushes back over the lens and I wouldnt want all the weight on the rear section. Seems carrying it horizontal is the only way to go here.

Seems the Pelican case route is the best way to go ...... 1615 Air Case | Pelican ...... this case is only 6.4Kg - its important to get the weight down anywhere I can on this lens/bag setup. The lens will fit in that case length dimension and Height dimension - but is very close on the width. The lens is 236mm wide and the case is 238mm wide - at least a snug fit but no room for padding, so idk.......

I am trying to figure out how I could make a 3D model of the lens so I could get a high end foam cutout made for the lens so it sits in the cutout very snugly.

My intended application of this lens is very niche and I have no idea if it will work out or not, I just thought it would be fun to try out. If nothing else, damm , it looks sexy....that front element is HUGE - looks so stunning.

What I am interested in is photographing waterfalls and using the 800mm to get way back and compress the scene - a different look that can only be achieved by a long lens - this is the longest one I could find. So far.....

I could just be a fool too and none of this will work out the way i think it will. But it will be fun trying.

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 09:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
c

Remove the rear lens cap and check for a removable metal filter holder. Turn it to counter clockwise to remove.

Phil.
Hmmm, I maybe missing parts here... it had no rear lens cap with it.

I got 3 Extenders with it. 2 black and 1 grey. The Grey one I have seen, it is the 1.4x extender. The 2 black ones look odd to me.

I will have to get some photos up.
08-14-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a bit concerned about carrying it in a back back style bag as the lens will be pointing down - what will support it ? I dont want all that weight on the front lens shade that pushes back over the lens and I wouldnt want all the weight on the rear section. Seems carrying it horizontal is the only way to go here.
What about sitting on the front or rear bothers you? With proper padding there won't be any shock and the lens is made very strongly it will suffer more stress horizontally I would think. (Walking is very bouncy compared to sitting on a tripod) Cylinders and cones are stronger lengthwise than horizontal. You could potentially build a sling strap suspension that used the cone shape of the lens and put the top element up and hang the lens in suspension.

Putting this lens horizontal will put a large weight that is unbalanced (front element heavy) on someone - that will be hard to carry.

Fascinating problem and cool idea for photos. I'm interested in what you come up with.
08-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #30

Original Poster
The lens is going to push 40lbs by itself so this is going to be a heavy pack.
yeah it is indeed going to be heavy. This is why I am concerned that a soft back back style bag is not the way to go here. I think a hard shell bag will give it the support it needs. Plus the lens can lay horizontal then.

This is probably about the heaviest lens I have ever come across, so its a special case (excuse the pun). Going to have to give this some thought.