Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Think I qualify as a Pentaxian now - Just got the 800mm f4

Just got home from picking up my newly acquired 800mm f4 6x7 lens.

Nothing will ever prepare you for the size of this lens in the flesh! This lens is H-U-G-E ! The weight...OMG...the weight ! Its massively heavy.

But what a thing of breath taking beauty !

I just bought it on ebay a few weeks ago and it only just got here over the weekend and I was able to pick it up today. Unfortunately a beautiful lens now has some war scars on it - the fool never packed it correctly ! He shipped it in its trunk case with no outer packaging or padding! Trunk case is in pretty poor shape now - who knows what it was like when it left ?

I dont think anything has happened to the lens in terms of functionality - everything turns as it should and aperture is opening/closing. So all seems ok - its just got some marks on the body now. Well nothing i can do it about it now. I am in the middle of Africa so this lens is never going back - it just cost $500 to ship it in. Its never leaving here.

OMG this thing is HUGE !! cant get over how big this lens is ! No i didnt buy it for bragging rights. I bought it for landscapes. I want that compressed landscape look.

I will be mating this to my Alpa FPS 12. ALPA 12 FPS

I have ordered the Pentax 6x7 adapter for the Alpa. ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras

I am hoping that the focal plane shutter on the FPS will be dampened enough so as not to cause shutter vibrations. I know from all the reading I have done on what I could find about this lens, shutter virations are a big issue. It wil be very interesting to see how this lens fares on the Alpa FPS. I have not been able to find any reference to anyone having tried this combo before, so I am on my own here. There is one article about the 800m ED IF being attached to an Alpa but that is a different lens and a different Alpa camera to the FPS 12

Has anyone here used the 800mm f4 before ?

08-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Great way to jump in. Which back are you using with the alpa?

Also what tripod and head?
08-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had to look this one up in the lens database - WOW 17.7kg - not for casual hikes then... ...good luck!!!
08-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to confirm, that lens uses the outer bayonet not inner, that adapter seems to support that.

08-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wow, we want pictures!!!
08-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Wow. Great way to jump in. Which back are you using with the alpa?

Also what tripod and head?
@uncle Vanya.....

I have an assortment of backs (collecting Digi backs is as bad a disease as collecting lenses!)

I have a Leaf Aptus II10 56MP - this one is 56mm x 36mm - so already a bit wider then normal. I bought this back esp for landscape work. I want to do stitching with this back.

Then I have an assortment of 22MP fat pixel backs which i am mostly interested in. I have a Sinar 54H - I got that for 4 shot mode - I want to try it for landscape work - it has a narrow range of situations it can work on outside but I want to try it. I am thinking at 6 in the morning when there are no clouds around and no wind or breeze multi shot mode might work out. Not sure but will be fun to find out.

Then there is an eyelike 22MP in V mount, and a Rollei branded DB 20P which is a rebadged Phase one 38mm x 38mm 16MP fat pixel back.

I also picked up a Kodak 645 Pro 16MP fat pixel back. I am after a P25+ for long exposure work. I think that will round out the fat pixel backs that I need.

I am not really interested in anything bigger then the 56MP Leaf. I am after "the look" not huge MP count.
08-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #7

Good luck with that and please, pretty please, pictures both of and with that lens.
08-13-2018, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Good luck with that and please, pretty please, pictures both of and with that lens.
@HoutHans.

Yes intend to do some youtube videos of it out in the field. I have searched high and low trying to find actual users using this lens and can find nothing. A few reviews etc but no actual use. I am hoping that mating it to the Alpa will go a long way towards solving the shutter vibration issue as the FPS 12 is esp noted for its dampened shutter.

I have no idea yet on what I need to bring in for this lens in terms of tripod etc. A bit of research/reading to do here to figure this out.

Did I say this lens is big? Man is it HEAVY. But not to worry, I have a buddy who wants to come camping/hiking with me..hahahahaha

08-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by NedKelly Quote
@uncle Vanya.....

I have an assortment of backs...
You'll need it...you'll break your back quite often carrying that around =)
08-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
wow, we want pictures!!!
What he said.
08-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am in awe. Good luck and please keep us in the loop.
08-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not only do we want to see some pictures with the lens, I'd love to see some of your set up when you're shooting.

Awe and a bit of jealousy!
08-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by NedKelly Quote
@HoutHans.

Yes intend to do some youtube videos of it out in the field. I have searched high and low trying to find actual users using this lens and can find nothing.

Terrific, that would be great! Also to see this setup in action in a very nice environment!

Did I say this lens is big? Man is it HEAVY. But not to worry, I have a buddy who wants to come camping/hiking with me..hahahahaha
That sounds like a great budy. My family makes me carry everything myself, including most of the tent and food for all of us.... Enjoy!
08-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too would like to see some pictures - so I did a web search (yea, I know I should have gone to the lens review area, ....but, I would have missed this one), and what exactly did come up?
For some reason, Walmart has just one left in stock, and its brand new???? The redeeming feature was - free delivery! For $7,999.95, they will get it to you by August 22 (yea, us zip code only).... It's a monster, weighing in at 39 pounds.

I guess Walmart really does have a little bit of everything. Who would of thought?

Enjoy the lens and make some great images with it!!!!!

08-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I too would like to see some pictures - so I did a web search (yea, I know I should have gone to the lens review area, ....but, I would have missed this one), and what exactly did come up?
For some reason, Walmart has just one left in stock, and its brand new???? The redeeming feature was - free delivery! For $7,999.95, they will get it to you by August 22 (yea, us zip code only).... It's a monster, weighing in at 39 pounds.

I guess Walmart really does have a little bit of everything. Who would of thought?

Enjoy the lens and make some great images with it!!!!!

Wally world like so many others uses a passthrough model to allow independent retailers to coat tail to their site for a fee. This is the same lens already listed on ebay: Pentax Super Telephoto 800mm f/4 Takumar Lens for Pentax 67 Brand New ! | eBay