Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote

For more money the 16-85 is great.
This.

I went to I think 7 or 8 countries or more with just this one lens. If the OP can afford to invest in that lens I would take that and maybe the fast 50 he has, but probably just the one will be more than enough.

08-13-2018, 08:59 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could really do with something wider. I used my 15-30 (on full frame) a lot in Beijing and Fukuoka last year.

Add the DA15 (and/or the DA21) to your DA35 and DA50 and you'll be in clover.
08-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You could really do with something wider. I used my 15-30 (on full frame) a lot in Beijing and Fukuoka last year.

Add the DA15 (and/or the DA21) to your DA35 and DA50 and you'll be in clover.
Wide is king when it comes to Asia.

That 16-85 though... it's only 1mm off of the 15mm on the K-5. It gets the job done for sure.
08-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My own power solution is this when I travel - two a.c. port power strip and 4 usb connections. The plugs aren't always where you want them and a 3-4 foot lead helps a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-FlePow-Outlets-Charging-International/dp/B0...L-L

Obviously the plugs you need should be the ones you take. This allowed me to travel in multiple countries and keep phones and tablets and cameras etc charged.

And this brand is what I used only the white version. I took three on vacation for 6 people. On for each room.

08-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With what you presently own,the 35 and 18-55wr or as others have suggested if you’re spending an 18-135 or 16-85 depending on budget.
I did a 3 month trip around Asia a couple of years back with just my K5ii and the 16-85 and never felt the need for anything else.
08-14-2018, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow, didn't expect to come back to all of these comments! Thanks for all of the input so far, everyone. It's getting pretty late so I'll get through all of the suggestions in detail in a few hours.

I quickly looked through your responses, and currently the DA 35 is the most popular with 7 votes apparently because I said I like it, followed by the DA 16-85 with 6 votes because you guys have had no regrets bringing it as your only lens. Everything else has 3 or less. Wouldn't mind feeding my addiction with a new DA 16-85

Thanks again for all of the advice.
08-14-2018, 02:55 AM   #22
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It also depends on what you prefer to shoot. What is your intention? More landscapes or rather street, documentary, details? Do you plan your shoots in advance?

On my K-5 I loved the DA 35 ltd to death because it was never the wrong focal length and f/2.8 was good in low light .

However, estimated 80% of all shots were the DA 35 f/2.8 or the DA 17-70 f/4. The remaining 20% did the 60-250 f/4.

When I did my first Asia trip, I packed way too heavy. (K-1 + K5 + DFA 15-30 + DFA 24-70 + DA* 55 + DA+ 60-250 + DFA 100 Macro + full size tripod with big head). In the end I only used the 15-30 and 24-70. But the f/2.8 was very useful, because in Asia it gets dark quickly and there is a lot to see in the evening.

For such trips, I think the "meat" for personal memories is in the standard focal length (35-50mm FF/ 24-35mm APSC).

In your case I would recommend just the DA35 as the base setup. You are used to it and it will get you most of the shots.

Next larger would be just the
DA 17-70 f/4 OR DFA 24-70 f/2.8

The heaviest I would do is:
DA 35
+ DA 17-70 f/4 OR DFA 24-70 f/2.8 OR 18-55
+ Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

08-14-2018, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Nayu Quote
I'm planning to go visit a few countries in Asia for about a month. It would be either mid-December to mid-January for a winter trip, or some time between June and August for a summer trip. I would like to visit Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. I don't know which lenses to bring with a K-5, and I have the following:

Primes:
  1. A 28mm f/2.8
  2. DA 35mm f/2.4
  3. DA 50mm f/1.8
Zooms:
  1. DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
  2. DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3
  3. A 35-105mm f/3.5
  4. D-FA 24-70mm f/2.8 WR
  5. Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
I like traveling light. My favorite loadout is my K-5 with either the DA 35 or the DA 50. However, since this is a once in a lifetime trip, I'm having a hard time balancing between maximizing enjoyment (going light) or making sure I get the shots I want.

I usually have the most fun shooting with my DA 35 and DA 50 due to the size and weight. I dislike walking around with a heavy and clunky camera bumping into me or getting in the way otherwise. Whenever I go on trips with both primes and zooms, I end up using the DA 35 the most. The zooms barely get touched. If I focus on primes, I would bring the DA 35, DA 50, and DA 18-55 WR as a wide angle lens and for the WR.

The zooms offer more versatility though, as I wouldn't want to miss something due to switching lenses. If I were to choose zooms, I was thinking of either the D-FA 24-70 with the vertical grip to balance out the weight of the lens, or the A 35-105 f/3.5 (I love the way it feels) with the DA 18-55 WR as a wide angle lens and for the WR. I assume the 70-200 isn't necessary, and it's too big and heavy for my liking.

Has anyone made a trip work with only a few primes? Is the zoom a must? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
I can guarantee :
1. You'll never need all of those lenses
2. You'll wonder why you brought what you finally bring
3. You'll wish you brought a zoom and a prime only
4. Whatever you end up with, you'll get tired of carrying it around.
Take as little as possible and enjoy your trip.

Just got back from 15 days in Japan with only K-5II and 16-85. Was already overkill and entirely sufficient.
08-14-2018, 04:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
I can guarantee :
1. You'll never need all of those lenses
2. You'll wonder why you brought what you finally bring
3. You'll wish you brought a zoom and a prime only
4. Whatever you end up with, you'll get tired of carrying it around.
Take as little as possible and enjoy your trip.

Just got back from 15 days in Japan with only K-5II and 16-85. Was already overkill and entirely sufficient.
Exactly this,especially number 4!
The only regret I have about my big trip was lugging around too much stuff!In fact four days into the trip we packaged up and sent home almost 20lbs of clothes,shoes etc from Malaysia,it arrived back in the UK several weeks after we did!
08-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm a prime person but I'd take the 18-250 (wes you want to go wide). Then pick a prime of your preferred focal length.

Seb
08-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 16-85 is a great solution, I'd personally use my 18-135 since I own it, but in this situation I could be convinced that the wide end was more important perhaps.

However, having spent a lot of time shooting film with only a single 50mm lens for a large part of my time developing as a photographer, I can see the appeal of taking the 35 and using it except when low light forced the use of the 50 or weather pushed you to the zoom. There's a documentary feel to using a normal or near normal lens.
08-14-2018, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Many people have had good photography trips with a single prime lens especially back in the film era. Since you seem to like primes, maybe bring just the 28mm and 50mm, leaving the 35mm home because it's pretty close to 28. Add the 18-55 solely for bad weather and if you are someplace where you want zoom flexibility. That gives you a very compact 3 lens kit.

Now, here's what *I* would do. Build around one zoom. I assume visits to large, crowded cities and historic sites where moderately wide angle is needed for architecture and street scenes. Your widest lenses are 2 zooms that start at 18mm. I would make the DA 18-55 WR my main lens because it is compact and offers weather resistance. Alternatively, if you expect to need more reach and are willing to risk not having WR then take the 18-250. I would add one prime to supplement the 18-55 or 18-250 in low light.

Alternatively, if I wasn't spending much time in cities, I would bring your 24-70. It covers weather resistance, sharpness, plus f2.8 for dim light. It's a heavier lens but could be the only lens used during the entire trip. Optionally add a prime if you want to have a smaller lens on your camera.

Others have mentioned the 16-85 and 18-135. Both of those are great choices for a single-lens travel kit. It's easy to spend other people's money.
08-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm impressed at how spartan some of you are with your travel kits.

I've made four overseas trips over the last six years, and I haven't managed to take less than six lenses on any occasion. The choices have changed over the years and the anticipated needs of the trip, but the kit always manages to fill my bag and weigh about the carry-on limit. A couple of times there has been one lens which didn't get much use, but I couldn't imagine making a "life event" journey with just a superzoom and one prime.

Of significance, one trip was just me (for a conference), and the other three have just been me and my wife. I can imagine that wrangling a full family may have changed things....
08-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Condensed into the next post because it was getting too long.

Last edited by Nayu; 08-14-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Condensed into the next post.
08-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
After going through everyone’s detailed comments, this is the summary:

1. Travel light. Bringing too much will only get in the way.
2. Versatility is key. Primes may be fun, but I might miss a decisive moment because I’m trying to switch lenses or something.
3. A wide angle lens is helpful for city shooting. Since I’m going to spend most of my time there, the wide end is more important than the telephoto end.
4. Weather resistance is good to have, and necessary if I’m going in the rainy season.
5. Use a good camera strap so that it’s at least a little comfortable.

As for the things not directly related to lens selection:

6. Get power outlet adapters that connect straight to the camera charger and leave the clunky cables at home.
7. Get the power strip thing that converts whatever power outlet to a US-type outlet.

Points 1-5 suggest a zoom lens as I can probably get by with just the one lens. Toward that end, the DA 18-135 and the DA 16-85 are the most recommended, with the DA 18-135 as the budget option and the DA 16-85 as the ideal option. If I stick with only what I have, the DA 18-250 and DA 18-55 would be the next best choices. The 24-70 would be good, but 24 mm isn’t wide enough for use on an APS-C camera.

I’m getting convinced that the DA 16-85 will be the right choice if I’m willing to spend a bit.

My questions now are:
• Has anyone tried using the 18-50 WR RE for trips like this? I like the retracted size, but I don’t know if extending and retracting the lens will get in the way of trying to shoot something unexpected.
• Prices aside, it seems that the wide end on the DA 16-85 is more beneficial than the telephoto end on the DA 18-135. Are there any reasons I should consider the DA 18-135 over the DA 16-85? Are the extra telephoto 50 mm on the DA 18-135 useful for anything versus the extra wide 2 mm on the DA 16-85?
• Is the difference between 15/16 mm and 18 mm really that big? I’ve heard that on the wide end a few mm makes a big difference, but I haven’t seen it for myself. How is it while shooting?

@pakinjapan:
I would love to go during the cherry blossom season, but unfortunately, I can't. That's a nice picture, by the way! Followed on IG. I’ll check out your website, there’s a lot of good information to go through. When do the farmers burn their farm? I want to go to winter or summer Comiket depending on when I’m going – would you have any recommendations for it?

@alamo5000:
Since you've already gone, when did you need the long end of the zoom range? Say, on the 18-250, when would you go above 55 or 70 mm? What did you shoot? Because if the long end can be compromised on, then I can bring my 18-55 to have WR.

I’m also bringing the vertical grip for sure because I like being able to comfortably rotate to portrait orientation and still hold the camera naturally. As for the sling/strap, what do you use? Would you recommend it? I currently have the BlackRapid Metro which I may have set up incorrectly as my shoulders and neck will hurt after half a day if I bring something like my K-5 + vertical grip + 24-70mm f/2.8. I was thinking of getting a Peak Design Slide strap, but I’ve only tried the Lite with an a6000 + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 so I don’t know how it would fare with my setup.

@sbh:
Would you recommend upgrading to the DA 35 Limited if I really like 35 mm?

At this point, I think bringing a zoom and a prime seems good.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by Nayu; 08-14-2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Getting too long