Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nayu Quote
@Jonathan Mac:
I’m a pixel peeper, so you’re right that I’d probably regret not bringing something better than a kit lens. Even if I’m only going to post scaled down versions, I do spend a lot of time staring at details while post processing.

Also, you mentioned that you rarely used your 120 mm. What *did* require the 120mm?
I barely used it at all but my concept of travel photography is to capture interesting things that I see and to try to capture the feeling of what it was like for me to be there, not to capture photos of distant landmarks etc.

Others may well disagree if their shooting style is different but I found that 70mm was long enough for the vast majority of situations, so much so that the extra weight of the 120mm was not worth it.

08-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I will be that guy and suggest packing the D-FA 24-70mm f/2.8 WR and the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. They should fit in a small(ish) bag.

Heavy, yes, but one must be willing to suffer for ones art.

The big apertures mean that low light will not stop play. The extra sharpness from lenses in this class means that IQ will be top notch.
08-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #48

Photos: Gallery
The zooms offer more versatility though, as I wouldn't want to miss something due to switching lenses.
Regarding the shots, you may feel bad about the ones you miss because of the improper gears. On the other side, it would be good to make sure the ones you hit are great in quality. Prime lenses could help you with that in many cases, night photography for example.

If I focus on primes, I would bring the DA 35, DA 50, and DA 18-55 WR as a wide angle lens and for the WR.
I recommend bringing the lenses that support your enjoyment the most. This set sounds like a good plan.

Last edited by parinya-ekparinya; 08-18-2018 at 03:22 PM.
08-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would put it in the bag you plan to take and walk around for a day or two in your town when you think you have your kit choices nailed down. I suggest you try a lighter loaded bag even if it doesn't seem to heavy and see which one you prefer carrying.
I'll be trying out a few setups suggested here (selected from my current gear) and see how I feel about them. Probably going to give each of them a week or two of exclusive use and figure out the advantages and drawbacks of each one for my use cases. I may have a short trip to New York in November during which I'll try out my favorite setup at that point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
24 is wide-ish on crop, but the DA15 still looks like something in your near future.
I have a chance to try out the Rokinon 12mm F2 for a while soon (on a Sony APS-C mirrorless camera) so I'll decide after that

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
How much shooting do you do at the telephoto end? A second hand DA55-300 would serve you much better than any of your current options. Especially the HD WR version.
I prefer telephoto lenses because I've been mostly shooting portraits, but I doubt I'll be doing that on vacation. I do like the idea of a small and compact DA 55-300, though. Only if I had a body supporting PLM

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I will be that guy and suggest packing the D-FA 24-70mm f/2.8 WR and the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
That's what I originally got them for before I realized I'd rather go a little lighter

Thanks all for the help! I'll report back on my findings once I have a chance to try out the setups suggested to me extensively.