Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Super Taks VS. S-M-C Taks?

While cruising the forums I've gotten the feeling that there is a strong preference for Super Taks over S-M-C or SMC Takumars. I'm not sure that I understand this...it would seem to me that the SMC varieties would be more sought after than the Super Taks because of the better coatings. In spite of this, I've recently had forum members turn down Super-Multi-Coated lenses because they were hunting for Super Taks. What am I missing here? The 85mm 1.9 and 1.8 as exceptions, what's the big deal about Supers over S-M-Cs or the later SMCs? Is it just an attitude, or is there a documented difference between the two?

thanks,

germar

09-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

One recent discussion around this topic is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/35233-smc-not.html

You make an interesting observation, for recently this has gone the other way. The theory being S-M-C/SMC have better coatings, work open aperture metering if you have a SP-F or ES (not a huge thing these days), and are less old.

However, I've seen evidence that what the Supers have going for them is better trim assembly. The bits round the barrel just hold on better - the various shrouds and distance rings. The mechanicals, e.g. actual focus and aperture rings, seem to be as a good with the later SMC/S-M-C series as with the Super.

But I don't think/know that that would be the cause either. So I'm interested in what the people going for the Supers are thinking also...
09-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i'm just doing it mostly out of a collectors principle

also, i really like the design of the "super" takumars, particulary the rippled focus ring, very stylish, vs the later "rubber" rings.

also, theoreticaly, cheaper! if you're going to go old, go as old as you can get! hhehe.
09-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
While cruising the forums I've gotten the feeling that there is a strong preference for Super Taks over S-M-C or SMC Takumars. I'm not sure that I understand this...it would seem to me that the SMC varieties would be more sought after than the Super Taks because of the better coatings. In spite of this, I've recently had forum members turn down Super-Multi-Coated lenses because they were hunting for Super Taks. What am I missing here? The 85mm 1.9 and 1.8 as exceptions, what's the big deal about Supers over S-M-Cs or the later SMCs? Is it just an attitude, or is there a documented difference between the two?
major difference in some instances is the price, in some cases there is a substantial difference, the Super Taks being cheaper to varying degrees. Mostly because of ebay I'd imagine.

The lack of multi-coating is purported to make for a less contrasty image. Some people like that look, and some don't mind adding contrast in post-processing. Factor that into the price difference and that accounts for some preference.

Also, some (and only some) Super Taks have more lens elements and groups than the S-M-C or SMC conterparts, e.g. the 135mm exists across all three coatings and has various number of elements and groups, same with the 50mm f1.4. Hard to know what you're getting, AOHC website is a terrifc reference for those figures.

09-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

To make matters even more confusing, I'm convinced that certain "Super Taks" actually have multicoating - just not the patented Super MultiCoating (SMC).

For example, I had a hard time seeing any difference between images from a Super Tak 135 f/3.5 and the S-M-C version, but I was able to see a slight difference in images from the Super Tak 50 1.4 and the SMC Tak 50 1.4. I think I read that this is the case - depending on the month/year manufactured, some Super taks have equivalent coatings to the later S-M-C Taks, they just weren't labeled as such prior to that marketing campaign.

Anyway, the image difference is minimal, and some slight PP makes them equal in almost every case. Go with the S-M-C or SMC versions if you have a choice, but don't sweat it if you don't. The main attraction of the Taks is their smooth, precise manual focus feel, which makes MF fun and easy, their build quality, which is Leica/Zeiss-like, and the sharpness/color/contrast that comes with pretty much any pentax prime.

One thing about MF - when you get used to it and good at it, you trust it more - there are no Autofocus FF/BF headaches, and you can get razor sharp images with just a little technique. And the best MF lenses for Pentax are the Taks.

EDIT - well, Zeiss & Voigtlander aren't too shabby either, I guess...

09-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i'm just doing it mostly out of a collectors principle

also, i really like the design of the "super" takumars, particulary the rippled focus ring, very stylish, vs the later "rubber" rings.

also, theoreticaly, cheaper! if you're going to go old, go as old as you can get! hhehe.
I agree with Gooshin. Most of my Takumars are Super, not for any major reason, just because they were available at the time. I also like the design as it feels very natural in my hand to hold and to focus.
09-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Arenít the Super-Multi-Coated, as opposed to those labelled SMC, the best of both worlds? I only have one Tak, a Super-Multi-Coated (S-M-C) 55/1.8, bought from these forums, in beautiful condition, and I love it. It has the rippled metal focusing ring.

However, I am also eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Super 135/3.5 in the mail!
09-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the_snark Quote
Arenít the Super-Multi-Coated, as opposed to those labelled SMC, the best of both worlds? I only have one Tak, a Super-Multi-Coated (S-M-C) 55/1.8, bought from these forums, in beautiful condition, and I love it. It has the rippled metal focusing ring.

However, I am also eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Super 135/3.5 in the mail!
Yes and no. For some lenses, the optical formula or the build quality has changed between the Super-Takumar and the S-M-C version. The 135/3.5 is one of these lenses: the earlier version of the Super-Takumar with 5 elements (product number 43540) had better chromatic aberrations control than both the later Super-Takumar (product number 43541) and the S-M-C version (product number 43542), which had only 4 elements.

Cheers!

Abbazz

09-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Forum Member

Interesting - is the product code shown on the lens? I don't have my 55 here to check. Just wondering how to check which one my Super Tak 135 is when it arrives. Or can you tell from the serial no?
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the_snark Quote
Interesting - is the product code shown on the lens? I don't have my 55 here to check. Just wondering how to check which one my Super Tak 135 is when it arrives. Or can you tell from the serial no?
The product number is engraved beneath the Auto/Manual lever. The serial number could also be an indication if you have a reliable source for serial numbers (like The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977 by Gerjan van Oosten).

Cheers!

Abbazz
09-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
The product number is engraved beneath the Auto/Manual lever. The serial number could also be an indication if you have a reliable source for serial numbers (like The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977 by Gerjan van Oosten).

Cheers!

Abbazz
You can also look here:

View all Takumar lens types

I find it interesting that I can find a product number on all my Taks except one: My newly purchased Super Tak 85 f1.9. No number on the auto/man lever. Curious!

germar
09-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Super Tak 28 3.5 has no product number on it , but the Super Tak 55 1.8 does...
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
You can also look here:

View all Takumar lens types
I can't see no serial numbers on this site. No lens diagram and no indication of the lens formula either. I'll stick to Mr. van Oosten's book!

Cheers!

Abbazz
09-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Any idea where else to get that sweet little book? Amazon doesn't have any left.
09-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
Any idea where else to get that sweet little book? Amazon doesn't have any left.
This book is out of print. Maybe you can click the "Order it Used" button on Amazon.com. The book seems easier to find in Europe (author and publisher are Dutch), like here or here.

Cheers!

Abbazz