Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We're all giving advice from our own shooting styles rather than yours, JD … do you have a link to your portfolio, gallery or whatever?

08-17-2018, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would take a bigger bag.
08-17-2018, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
55-300 won't get used in a city, unless you like isolating architectural elements on buildings. It might get used if you see wildlife on the boat ride but it's probably not worth packing a lens that will get such limited use.
Quebec City settlement was established in 1608 by Sameul de Champlain. Montreal settlement was established in 1642. The river in between was settled and used by Fur Traders, Expansionists from France & England, Jesuit Missionaries and explorers looking for the route to the Far East. You are going to see more than Birds , animals & whales. Unless your Cruise Ship is going to stop at 1000's of historical sites I would bring the long lens not to be disappointed . Just saying.
08-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Hello All

We will be taking a tour of 3 cities in Canada along with a cruise on the Saint Lawrence river. We will be visiting Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City with the cruise in between Montreal and Quebec City. I am looking over all of my lenses that I satisfied my LBA over the years and deciding what to bring for use on my K-3. The trip will be geared toward the cities and architectural and cultural sites and not hiking and wildlife. I want to pack light since we will be on the move with this tour and cannot carry a lot of equipment. My lens choices are:
Zooms: DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM
Primes: DA limiteds; 15, 21, 35 macro and 40. Also F 28mm and FA 50 f1.7
The Domke F803 satchel pack I will be using can fit the two zooms or one zoom and two of the primes. Any thoughts from the group who either live there are are familiar with the three cities appreciated. It seems like including the 16-85 is a no brainer but would I be better in these places just using small primes? Is there any use for the 55-300 PLM for what I will see there?

My inclination is to take the 15 Limited, FA 50 f1.7 and the DA 16-85 but would welcome any recommendations.
As honey said Quebec is an old city and the St.Lawrence is a BIG River empties into the Atlantic Ocean and is the gateway to the Great Lakes. The 55-300 may come in handy for the river part of your trip and the 16-85 around the Cities. You didn't say where you are coming to Canada from?

08-17-2018, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

My preference would be 18-65, and 55-300.

The 50 1.7 for low light situations. and the 35 macro, you have to have one macro lens no?

Those will all fit into a relatively small portable bag. To my mind, primes should have a purpose. The 15 and 21 are pretty much covered by the 16-85. What would be the point? I seriously don't understand not having one long lens along. I have spent afternoons at Niagara Falls shooting mostly with the DA^200. If you're bringing a camera, don't put artificial limits on it by ignoring telephoto opportunities. I know many do, I don't know why. I find you don't learn how to use a lens until you own it. I suspect many here have never owned a decent telephoto. I can't think of any other reason why anyone would be so opposed. It's kind of like cutting off half an arm.

Last edited by normhead; 08-17-2018 at 06:57 PM.
08-17-2018, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Hey , Ilive in Montreal and know very well all the area he want to go .
On the cruise you need the 55-300. If people are not aware the St-Laurence river is very wide, most of the time larger than 1 mile between Montreal and Quebec. Your DA 15, 21,28 , etc will be absolutly of no use on the cruise part of your trip. Their no whale also on that part.

But for Old Quebec city, you should think like you are in Europe, I carry all the time there my 12-24, as you have a 15, 21 and the Da16-85 in that range, choose the one that you feel will give you the best picture . If you go in the fall season , you have to count that the sun is already low, and need a lenses that will be good in low light, as the street there are narrow, the F50 1.7 .
should be a good choice. My other choice will be the 15 for the wide angle. No need for any macro except if you go in the spring for the tulip festival in Ottawa.
08-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
You are taking a cruise on the St Lawrence River a very large river. A lot of History & Scenery on both shores and a lot of Marine Traffic. A good distance between Montreal and Quebec City 145 miles a few hour cruise. I would definitely take a 55-300 for that portion of the trip.
Pay attention to this guy's advice, it's called the St. Lawrence Seaway for a reason. All three cities are defined by the river that goes through them and the most interesting architecture is either on the river or close to it. 85mm isn't long enough to get good photos of Hull from across the Ottawa River, Expo 67 Island or the Citadel from the St. Lawrence River. No idea what you would want to bring a prime along for; your two zooms will cover every situation I can think of and you don't need fast apertures for taking pictures of buildings or natural scenery.
08-18-2018, 01:20 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
I agree with RGlasel,your two zooms and keep it light.

08-18-2018, 05:33 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two zooms if you are a “be prepared for any and all shooting” type.

Just the DA21 if you’re more interested in keeping it simple and easy. I normally have a film point and shoot with a 35mm lens when I travel and rarely find myself wishing for something more.
08-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
your two zooms will cover every situation I can think of and you don't need fast apertures for taking pictures of buildings or natural scenery.
A monopod or table top pod at least whatever will fit in your bag. Shutter speed will take care of low light as well . Bokeh & cropping is super with the 55-300 I'm not familar with 16-85

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-04-2018 at 06:08 AM.
08-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It really depends on your shooting style and the subjects you usually target. Personally I would take the two zooms. The 16-85 would live on my camera. The long zoom might be nice for the cruise and maybe the occasional long street shots. And if you are into night shots, as torashi mentioned, a tripod and the 15mm
08-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I personally would forget about taking photographs on the cruise, and just enjoy the experience. I think you will find Ottawa, and especially Montreal the more 'target rich' environs. However, as others have said, it really all depends on your interests and goals.
08-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went on flickr and typed in some searches in that area and found loads of shots on the draw at. The longest shots of interest were around 100mm, the majority were wide angles. Loads of scenery bridges in fog, skylines etc.

I would suggest that you look and see what you might get with longer lenses before making a decision.
08-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My suggestion is 16-85, 50/1.7, and optionally the DA 21.
My thoughts as well. The 16-85 covers most of the bases. The 50 will be useful for low light scenes. The 21 is just the thing for street photography.
08-19-2018, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The longest shots of interest were around 100mm, the majority were wide angles. Loads of scenery bridges in fog, skylines etc.
Maybe a lack of interesting photographers packing a long telephoto on the cruise who publicly post to Flickr.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The 50 will be useful for low light scenes. The 21 is just the thing for street photography.
Someone asked the OP what his shooting style is, which could help direct this discussion, but on the other hand the OP can't go back at a later date and take the photographs he wants to. Hence the advice to be prepared and a simple two zoom kit will cover every likely photo opportunity while on a guided tour and will also provide lots of unanticipated opportunities as well. Otherwise the tour becomes an excuse for pre-planned photography practice, which is a lousy way to get an appreciation of the places being toured. Having visited all three cities more than once, I can confirm that letting photography prevent someone from seeing those cities would be a terrible waste.